Rumor: NE interested in Ohio State RB Carlos Hyde

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats* don't seem like they would draft an RB as high as it will probably take to get Hyde. Any rumors out there are probably intentional smokescreens. I would not be surprised if they are floating this in order to get a team to trade up for him in their late 1st round slot. I could see a team like the Browns doing this since they have so many picks. I really don't want Hyde to go there for multiple reasons but IMO it won't happen. Pats* need defensive playmakers, WRs, TE. They always seem to make do with whatever RB they decide to plug in there.

Considering their first round picks have been about 15-20 picks later than the BIlls, it's not really and apples to apples comparison.

considering many argue anything above the 3rd day is crazy talk for RBs, i think my point isnt totally nuts in the discussion of this board. im not saying its everyone, just that im pretty sure i see a few of those folks here.

thank you. In the short answer. Yes. He can. Yes. He will.

This kid is going to something special. The next best RB in the NFL IMO.

And I think he fits exactly what Marrone wants to do in the running game. He would replace Fred (eventually). If the Bills drafted Hyde, I think they would still extend Spiller and it would be Fred, CJ, Hyde, Dixon as the RB core and then Summers at FB. When Fred moves on, Hyde takes on that role full-time. Hyde can also play ST. And block. Marrone likey. Edited by YoloinOhio

i agree. they get a first round pick and odds are itll be a player that has a lot of potential. i find it odd that i think i recognize a few of the names in this thread from the "youd have to be an idiot to draft a RB in the first, they are terrible value" threads.

I don't want this thread to derail, but, I don't remember those threads unless you're talking about CJ. The angst I remember (by some, myself included) was that we didn't need a RB when he was drafted at #9. It is though interesting to note that no RB has been taken in the first round since 2010 (I believe that is correct). That doesn't mean that none will be taken this year, but, it is interesting to note. The passing game has far outpaced the running game in terms of importance with most teams.

If someone has some time...it might be interesting to note how many 1st round RBs there have been in the past 5 years compared to WRs and TEs. (WR is obviously influenced by the # on the field on any given play)

And I think he fits exactly what Marrone wants to do in the running game. He would replace Fred (eventually). If the Bills drafted Hyde, I think they would still extend Spiller and it would be Fred, CJ, Hyde, Dixon as the RB core and then Summers at FB. When Fred moves on, Hyde takes on that role full-time. Hyde can also play ST.

yup. I'm not normally a fan of taking RBs in the first round. But I would with this guy. He's definately special. He definately fits Marrones dream offense. And mine. The NFL is going to move back to a ground and pound eventually because teams are looking at faster and smaller to keep up with speedy WRs and TEs. Someone is going to shock the league with a massive shove it down your throat running game. I'd rather it be us than someone else.

With all that said, I'm not taking him at 9. So we either trade up from the second and give up a 4th to get him, or what is prefer is we trade back in the first for and extra 2nd rounder. Then trade back again for another 2nd rounder. That should put us right about at the end of the 1st round. Draft Hyde. Use our 2nd draft pick on the best OT, or TE. Then stock up on more in the 2nd.

I don't want this thread to derail, but, I don't remember those threads unless you're talking about CJ. The angst I remember (by some, myself included) was that we didn't need a RB when he was drafted at #9. It is though interesting to note that no RB has been taken in the first round since 2010 (I believe that is correct). That doesn't mean that none will be taken this year, but, it is interesting to note. The passing game has far outpaced the running game in terms of importance with most teams.

If someone has some time...it might be interesting to note how many 1st round RBs there have been in the past 5 years compared to WRs and TEs. (WR is obviously influenced by the # on the field on any given play)

its obviously in the context of the bills discussions influenced by the personnel we already have, and part of it is push back against our last decade with several first rounders --- but im surprised you dont recall the large number of posts that i feel like i have seen about how you can plug in any old guy off the street (including literally UDFAs), because the position has become so devalued in the NFL. i could be crazy or maybe remembering just a handful of guys that happened to say it loudly - but i feel like theres a solid contingent of the board that doesnt think you should ever draft a RB before round 3, no matter what.

in this case, the pats have invested a second and third in ridley and vereen - if they invest a first rounder in that group, i am not sure it would be the type of move that upsets me as a fan of a rival team.

Edited by NoSaint

yup. I'm not normally a fan of taking RBs in the first round. But I would with this guy. He's definately special. He definately fits Marrones dream offense. And mine. The NFL is going to move back to a ground and pound eventually because teams are looking at faster and smaller to keep up with speedy WRs and TEs. Someone is going to shock the league with a massive shove it down your throat running game. I'd rather it be us than someone else.

With all that said, I'm not taking him at 9. So we either trade up from the second and give up a 4th to get him, or what is prefer is we trade back in the first for and extra 2nd rounder. Then trade back again for another 2nd rounder. That should put us right about at the end of the 1st round. Draft Hyde. Use our 2nd draft pick on the best OT, or TE. Then stock up on more in the 2nd.

Seattle. Hyde could be Lynch without the extracurriculars. Skittles at the Ralph! He avg 7 yds/carry with virtually no passing game. Although,he did have an issue at the beginning of last year. It was not worth him getting suspended 3 games but Urban Meyer was kind of pinned into a corner on that one. Edited by YoloinOhio

Seattle. Hyde could be Lynch without the extracurriculars. Skittles at the Ralph! He avg 7 yds/carry with virtually no passing game. Although,he did have an issue at the beginning of last year. It was not worth him getting suspended 3 games but Urban Meyer was kind of pinned into a corner on that one.

yup. Seattle hits it on the head. For those keeping score. Another top notch defense and strong running game win the SB this year over a pass happy offense. If I did a count, it happens more than anyone thinks. I'll just sit back and keep saying that defense and running the ball works no matter what everyone else says. Watch who wins it again this year and see what their offense looks like.

its obviously in the context of the bills discussions influenced by the personnel we already have, and part of it is push back against our last decade with several first rounders --- but im surprised you dont recall the large number of posts that i feel like i have seen about how you can plug in any old guy off the street (including literally UDFAs), because the position has become so devalued in the NFL. i could be crazy or maybe remembering just a handful of guys that happened to say it loudly - but i feel like theres a solid contingent of the board that doesnt think you should ever draft a RB before round 3, no matter what.

I am, in general opposed to drafting a RB in the first, but, that's because:

the Bills unfortunately draft high these days.

the Bills have good backs. One a first rounder, one a street FA who took a very long path to the NFL.

a RB in the first (AP excepted) should mean that a team is well stocked and that they believe that the RB will put them over the top...sadly we've not been close to over the top

I can absolutely state that there are no absolutes. The game has evolved away from RBs, at some point it will swing back (how far I don't know). At this time I'm opposed to the Bills considering a RB in the first, at some time in the future it may make sense.

considering many argue anything above the 3rd day is crazy talk for RBs, i think my point isnt totally nuts in the discussion of this board. im not saying its everyone, just that im pretty sure i see a few of those folks here.

Oh I don't think your point is nuts at all. It never ceases to amaze me how many posts I see here that I have to re-read a couple times and still don't know if someone is joking or not. I suppose we are all guilty of posting some questionable stuff, so I'm not judging at all.

I was just pointing out that many people (and I wasn't criticizing K-9, since I know he kidding around) talk about "first round picks" while ignoring that there are basically three distinct tiers in most first rounds (IMO), and the Bills and the Pats* haven't overlapped in those tiers in quite some time.

yup. Seattle hits it on the head. For those keeping score. Another top notch defense and strong running game win the SB this year over a pass happy offense. If I did a count, it happens more than anyone thinks. I'll just sit back and keep saying that defense and running the ball works no matter what everyone else says. Watch who wins it again this year and see what their offense looks like.

seattle won because they assembled a team of guys at the most premium positions playing great ball and many being paid peanuts. it allowed them to stack the roster more than any other team. thats just how they happened to stack it. what you will find is that teams that win tend to be very good at ALL PHASES of the game, and once you start having to pay people (especially a qb) its easy to get to 10 wins but a challenge to win the super bowl.

the Bills have good backs. One a first rounder, one a street FA who took a very long path to the NFL.

a RB in the first (AP excepted) should mean that a team is well stocked and that they believe that the RB will put them over the top...sadly we've not been close to over the top

I can absolutely state that there are no absolutes. The game has evolved away from RBs, at some point it will swing back (how far I don't know). At this time I'm opposed to the Bills considering a RB in the first, at some time in the future it may make sense.

I still don't think Hyde goes in the 1st round unless a team wants to trade up to the bottom of the 1st for him because they have the picks to do that... the Browns would have already had 2 picks in the 1st so maybe they compile some others from the 2nd or 3rd and trade up to NE's spot and take Hyde, for instance. Otherwise, he will be a 2nd round pick at best due to the undervaluing of the RB position in general and the overall talent in this draft. JMO.

I'd draft him with our second pick. Next year I'd draft his teammate Heaurman, the Ohio State University TE.

He reminds me of Gronk

in 2 years we will see the swing come back and a guy like Lynch will be called ahead of his time.

As DB's get faster they get smaller. And as teams get less practice they get less tackles. As they get less time in full pads they'll get less time learning timing.

In 2 years I feel you can book it. We will see guys coming out of no where, similar to Alfred Morris, and leading teams offensively and keeping the chains moving. SD and Indy are prime to succeed in the future NFL once they get a RB. And if Iam SD iI go Hyde in the first

I'd draft him with our second pick. Next year I'd draft his teammate Heaurman, the Ohio State University TE.

He reminds me of Gronk

in 2 years we will see the swing come back and a guy like Lynch will be called ahead of his time.

As DB's get faster they get smaller. And as teams get less practice they get less tackles. As they get less time in full pads they'll get less time learning timing.

In 2 years I feel you can book it. We will see guys coming out of no where, similar to Alfred Morris, and leading teams offensively and keeping the chains moving. SD and Indy are prime to succeed in the future NFL once they get a RB. And if Iam SD iI go Hyde in the first

They ran the ball really well this year because Fluker changed everything for them. He is such a beast run blocking. Ryan Matthews had a great year but is injury-prone so they signed Donald Brown in FA (SD's GM drafted him in Indy). Then I love what they do with Danny Woodhead - he adds another element to their offense. They are so desperate at corner I think it would be a huge shock if they drafted anyone but a corner in the 1st. But your point that a guy like Hyde would help SD tremendously is true, especially with Matthews always hurt.

I like the RB from LSU, whose name is escaping me at the moment.

Jeremy Hill

seattle won because they assembled a team of guys at the most premium positions playing great ball and many being paid peanuts. it allowed them to stack the roster more than any other team. thats just how they happened to stack it. what you will find is that teams that win tend to be very good at ALL PHASES of the game, and once you start having to pay people (especially a qb) its easy to get to 10 wins but a challenge to win the super bowl.

ok

I like the kid from Auburn more: Tre Mason . . . 2nd Round?

He reminds me a lot of a bigger and faster Fred Jackson

Mason can be had later, I think. Projected 3rd round. FTR he is 5'9, 207 and runs a 4.5. Fred is 6'1 216, not sure what he runs these days. Hyde is 6' 235 and while his combine time was a 4.6 he ran with a pulled hammy. He looks pretty fast when he plays especially for how big he is. I do like Mason because he ran all over everyone in the SEC and FSU as well. Edited by YoloinOhio