Who believes in Manuel?

My opinion will probably be dismissed as me being a Manuel hater, however:

I think Bortles does everything better than Manuel coming out. By everything I mean better arm, better accuracy, better mobility, instincts and pocket presence. I would probably take Bortles if I was Houston. He isn't a perfect thrower yet but he is so much more natural thrower than Manuel.

Their stats for their last year in college are eerily similar. If he is better in almost every area, how come their stats are nearly identical ? Not trying to be a jerk, just curious. Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ did just what Jim Kelly did when he found he was drafted by the Buffalo Bills. They both cried, and for totally different reasons.

Jim Kelly didn't want to play in the cold, as he spent his college days at the U were it is always warm and sunny. Then there was the owner factor who was nortiously frugal, and also Kelly knew the Bills couldn't strike a deal with #1 overall pick in 1979 in LB Tom Cousineau. Kelly wasn't positive that the Bills were committed to winning, and sought to be traded elsewhere after the USFL folded. Bill Polian talked him into being a Buffalo Bill.

OTOH, EJ cried tears of joy to be a first round draft pick when he was reading reports that a few months earlier stated he would be a 4th round pick. Shoot, back in Jan, Feb the kid wasn't even in anyone's top 5 list of QB's for that year.

Then there is EJ's godfather who is none other then hall of fame DE Bruce Smith. This kid wanted to be a Buffalo Bill more then anyone knows. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sully_on_sports/2013/04/bruce-smith-the-godfather.html

If this regime isn't going to draft the proper supporting cast to protect their first round pick at QB in this upcoming draft by going OT-OG with two of the first three picks to give EJ an honest chance to have some success. Then I can only hope that when new ownership takes over they fire everyone in the entire Org.

I'm almost hoping its Donald Trump, so he can go face to face with Russs, and say those words.

Their stats for their last year in college are eerily similar. If he is better in almost every area, how come their stats are nearly identical ? Not trying to be a jerk, just curious.

I have no opinion either way, but FSU might have had some more talent.

EJ did just what Jim Kelly did when he found he was drafted by the Buffalo Bills. They both cried, and for totally different reasons.

Jim Kelly didn't want to play in the cold, as he spent his college days at the U were it is always warm and sunny. Then there was the owner factor who was nortiously frugal, and also Kelly knew the Bills couldn't strike a deal with #1 overall pick in 1979 in LB Tom Cousineau. Kelly wasn't positive that the Bills were committed to winning, and sought to be traded elsewhere after the USFL folded. Bill Polian talked him into being a Buffalo Bill.

OTOH, EJ cried tears of joy to be a first round draft pick when he was reading reports that a few months earlier stated he would be a 4th round pick. Shoot, back in Jan, Feb the kid wasn't even in anyone's top 5 list of QB's for that year.

Then there is EJ's godfather who is none other then hall of fame DE Bruce Smith. This kid wanted to be a Buffalo Bill more then anyone knows. http://blogs.buffalo...-godfather.html

If this regime isn't going to draft the proper supporting cast to protect their first round pick at QB in this upcoming draft by going OT-OG with two of the first three picks to give EJ an honest chance to have some success. Then I can only hope that when new ownership takes over they fire everyone in the entire Org.

I'm almost hoping its Donald Trump, so he can go face to face with Russs, and say those words.

You know what talked Kelly into becoming a Bill more than anything? The prospect of being the highest paid player (another "Ralph is cheap" shot debunked) and the knowledge that the Bills held his rights as a player and his options were extremely limited. Polian didn't have to talk him into much other than to assure him he would bring in the talent needed.

GO BILLS!!!

My opinion will probably be dismissed as me being a Manuel hater, however:

I think Bortles does everything better than Manuel coming out. By everything I mean better arm, better accuracy, better mobility, instincts and pocket presence. I would probably take Bortles if I was Houston. He isn't a perfect thrower yet but he is so much more natural thrower than Manuel.

I think Bortles is very similar to EJ, in terms of his he has the measurables but is a project and not ready to start. The Bills did not expect EJ to start either, IMO, which is why they signed Kolb. I saw Bortles play at OSU last year and he was terrible - especially pocket presence and accuracy. I am sure he is improving/developing. He also looked really bad in the bowl game in the 1st half and then came back to win... reminded me of some of EJ's games this year where he warmed up as the game went on.

I'm still amazed that for everyone who would like to see the Bills finally crown an heir to Jim Kelly, it's easily forgotten that Jimbo played four seasons of pro ball before taking the Bills to the playoffs. I'm not even asking for EJ to get that much time, but he certainly deserves more than a season.

I see nothing that prevents Manuel from becoming a good QB other than a lack of playing time. I think he will be fine.

Early on when Polian expressed his doubts in EJ it had me worried. After seeing him play i'm 50/50 on whether he'll be a success. He's a little bit Cam Newton, and a little bit Tony Banks. Only time will tell.

Mayock had it right pre draft on EJ. Very Raw. Would require a team that is willing to work with him. That takes more than ten games.

I remember what Mayock said when he was drafted "A piece of clay that needed to be molded"

It is unfortunate for EJ that he comes to a situation where the fans have not seen their team in the playoffs for over 10 years and now are looking for instant gratification (which is not the fault of the fans).

Patience is needed here.....I will be really wrong in my analysis of EJ if he does NOT take a big leap forward this year in his consistancy.

So you feel that unless they draft both an offensive tackle AND an offensive guard within our first 3 picks everyone should be fired? I agree we need to draft a tackle by Round 3 at the latest. But two of our first three picks on lineman? No way!

Like him or not - we signed Chris Williams to a decent sized contract to be our starting LG. Urbik's fine at RG (especially if we draft a stud RT) and Marrone's high on the youngsters they started to develop last year (Asper, McClain, and Unga).

If a gem of a Guard falls in the later rounds - by all means. But we have too many other more important spots to fill to be insinuating everyone should be fired if we don't spend two of our first three picks on the O-Line.

I remember what Mayock said when he was drafted "A piece of clay that needed to be molded"

It is unfortunate for EJ that he comes to a situation where the fans have not seen their team in the playoffs for over 10 years and now are looking for instant gratification (which is not the fault of the fans).

Patience is needed here.....I will be really wrong in my analysis of EJ if he does NOT take a big leap forward this year in his consistancy.

Consistency is the key. Hopefully, the consistency comes at a high level of play as well -- we've seen consistently mediocre and consistently choking in recent Bills history. Still, consistently inconsistent is going to lead to another regime change,

Whether you look at it as "only 10 games" or "3 knee injuries", the lump of clay was simply inconsistent in his limited time.

we've seen consistently mediocre and consistently choking.

Can you please explain this? When did we see EJ choke, much less consistently? I seem to recall the opposite. Leading us back to the lead vs the hated Patsies on opening day. Leading a comeback in week 2 vs Carolina. Making good throw putting us in position to comeback for win vs Falcons only to have the football fumbled TWICE.

The only thing I can think of is the fumble vs the Ravens. But luckily in that case, SJ was Johnny on the Spot and fell on it preserving the win.

It's also unfortunate that this clay is being molded by coaches that simply aren't NFL quality (at least so far).

I agree to a point.

I think Hackett was in over his head last season. No QB coach, first time NFL OC, QBs getting hurt left & right etc. I also think that Marrone was stretched beyond his limits. Hopefully the additions in the off season coupled with one year under their belts will help.

My biggest concern with EJ after 1 year is the injuries. There are mechanical issues, there are trust issues & there are vision issues, but those damn injuries. Three in one season! Is it bad luck? (then how much good luck did Farve have?) Is it being in the wrong place at the wrong time? (hopefully because that you should be able to correct) Is it something none of us want to mention? I DO NOT KNOW...and that concerns me greatly.

Consistency is the key. Hopefully, the consistency comes at a high level of play as well -- we've seen consistently mediocre and consistently choking in recent Bills history. Still, consistently inconsistent is going to lead to another regime change,

Whether you look at it as "only 10 games" or "3 knee injuries", the lump of clay was simply inconsistent in his limited time.

Actually EJ was consistent last year, he played well at home except for one game, he played poorly on the road except one game. QB rating at home - 105.5, 89.3, 48.9, 121.9, 86.7 on the road - 71.8, 74.8, 63.5, 31.2, 105.0. It's very common for rookie QBs to play well at home and struggle on the road.

When you are talking about mediocre and choking I assume you are talking about the bills as a whole and not EJ in particular.....because frankly it seems to me that EJ picks his game UP when the the game is on the line.

Then other team members would on que screw it up.

I agree to a point.

I think Hackett was in over his head last season. No QB coach, first time NFL OC, QBs getting hurt left & right etc. I also think that Marrone was stretched beyond his limits. Hopefully the additions in the off season coupled with one year under their belts will help.

My biggest concern with EJ after 1 year is the injuries. There are mechanical issues, there are trust issues & there are vision issues, but those damn injuries. Three in one season! Is it bad luck? (then how much good luck did Farve have?) Is it being in the wrong place at the wrong time? (hopefully because that you should be able to correct) Is it something none of us want to mention? I DO NOT KNOW...and that concerns me greatly.

The reason why I am not overly concerned about the injuries is none of them were major.....and the main one came from a mistake I doubt very seriously he will do again.......

I think on some of the injuries they were protecting their investment in a season we had no chance of making playoffs

The reason why I am not overly concerned about the injuries is none of them were major.....and the main one came from a mistake I doubt very seriously he will do again.......

I think on some of the injuries they were protecting their investment in a season we had no chance of making playoffs

That could well be true for the last couple games.