Denver press - lazy journalism

Denver paper claims" The Broncos are heavily favored by oddsmakers to become the first team since the Buffalo Bills in 1993 to return to the superbowl the year after losing the big game".

We did it again in 94 .... didn't we? I mean , I watched it, and googled it.

The team that appeared in the Super Bowl in January 1994 was the 1993 Bills. The entire regular season happened in '93. Just like this year's Broncos are the 2013 Broncos, not the 2014 Broncos.

Yep. We played the Cowboys 3 times in a calendar year. Went 1-2, winning only at their place..

Even though you are wrong, why would you get rustled like this over a very minor mistake?

right - even if OP was correct, im not sure why it wouldve been an issue worth posting. surely it wouldve been a result of a typo, not simply forgetting to look up that we made 4 not 3..... odd thread to start.

Yep. We played the Cowboys 3 times in a calendar year. Went 1-2, winning only at their place..

I recall the Bills losing to Dallas in the SB and then on opening week in Buffalo beating them sans Emmit Smith in Dallas

http://www.pro-footb...ms/buf/1993.htm

I stand corrected, the 2nd week of '93

please explain how they played them 3 times in 1 calendar year when in '93 they lost on January 31 and won on Sept 12?

Jan 1 to Dec 31 is a calendar year.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I recall the Bills losing to Dallas in the SB and then on opening week in Buffalo beating them sans Emmit Smith in Dallas

http://www.pro-footb...ms/buf/1993.htm

I stand corrected, the 2nd week of '93

please explain how they played them 3 times in 1 calendar year when in '93 they lost on January 31 and won on Sept 12?

Jan 1 to Dec 31 is a calendar year.

this is coming across a bit like the OP... it seems you totally understand what he was trying to say.

What a dumb thread. I live in Denver and one thing that does in fact bother me is that during hockey season, when they list the league leaders on the hockey page, they always show goals and assists and then they show obscure stats that I didn't even know people kept track of like power play assists (not even kidding), but they NEVER and I mean EVER show points, which is, obviously, the most important offensive stat in hockey you would think. It is really annoying. But it is totally in line with this being the furthest thing from a hockey city you could possibly imagine. It took the Avs being in the playoffs for the sports talk shows to devote one second to hockey coverage around here. And the people that go to the games don't even know the game. They don't know when to cheer, they are easily amused by the gimmicks on the jumbotron (which is insane by the way), the loud dopey music, etc.- it's really just a place for rich people to take their girlfriends. But I digress. Back to work.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

So do you cover all media around the country to factcheck mentions of the Bills? Or do you and your friends have a little club, and Denver is your assigned territory?

actually we do. i'm currently scouring the los angeles county pennysaver for similar examples of this brand of yellow journalism. last month those morons erroneously claimed that jerry butler only achieved 842 yards from scrimmage in the '81 season -- totally ignoring that 1 yard rush he had, bringing the total to 843. idiots.

trust me, they received a sharply worded rebuke from yours truly posthaste.

sincerely,

dirtbag

bills fact checkers society of the united states

local 435 (90035 division)

"assuring the accuracy of buffalo bills-related articles for the general public since 1960."

actually we do. i'm currently scouring the los angeles county pennysaver for similar examples of this brand of yellow journalism. last month those morons erroneously claimed that jerry butler only achieved 842 yards from scrimmage in the '81 season -- totally ignoring that 1 yard rush he had, bringing the total to 843. idiots.

trust me, they received a sharply worded rebuke from yours truly posthaste.

sincerely,

dirtbag

bills fact checkers society of the united states

local 435 (90035 division)

"assuring the accuracy of buffalo bills-related articles for the general public since 1960."

I'm really glad I looked at this thread now. This was by far the funniest thing I read all afternoon. idiots.

Whether the OP was correct or not, journalism in the media today is, without question, a joke.

ESPN, NFL.com, WGR, Mike Florio, etc...so many of them are horrible at writing, especially spelling and grammar. It is kind of hard to imagine they do not edit their work, right? It's nothing to be pissed about, but it is really frustrating to know people get paid for that garbage.

It is certainly one job where educated sports fans should be able to land a gig without a college education, but you can't.