If We Pass on Ebron .... We Will Regret it

I understand not being a fan of Ebron, but you are comparing him to WRs? Why? If they take a WR at 9, it won't be a guy 6'0 like Lee regardless of his college stats, IMO. BTW, Tyler Eifert had 685 yds and 4 TDs his sr yr at ND. He was drafted in the 1st last yr. College offenses do not use the TE like the NFL does. Again, the NFL drafts guys based on their ability to translate to what they are running in their system at the NFL level. Not based just on what they did in their college offense.

I don't think that Eifert was picked in the top 10, though - you can correct me if I am wrong.( think he went 21st, not 9th).

I agree that there is some projection of how a player will do in the NFL in the evaluation process. However, to think that Ebron is going to go from scoring < 3 TDs per year in 3 college seasons to something much better than that in the NFL is a big stretch (IMHO).

I compared Ebron to WRs because that is essentially what he is. He lined up in-line < 30% of the time this year (based on Rotoworld analysis).. That is more slot WR than TE, in my opinion.

As for force-fitting a tall receiver into the Bills' pick, I think it would be a mistake. Good receivers come in all sizes and as many tall/big receivers fail as do the smaller receivers. In my opinion, it would be a big mistake to take a big receiver over a better average size receiver.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that Eifert was picked in the top 10, though - you can correct me if I am wrong.( think he went 21st, not 9th).

I agree that there is some projection of how a player will do in the NFL in the evaluation process. However, to think that Ebron is going to go from scoring < 3 TDs per year in 3 college seasons to something much better than that in the NFL is a big stretch (IMHO).

I compared Ebron to WRs because that is essentially what he is. He lined up in-line < 30% of the time this year (based on Rotoworld analysis).. That is more slot WR than TE, in my opinion.

As for force-fitting a tall receiver into the Bills' pick, I think it would be a mistake. Good receivers come in all sizes and as many tall/big receivers fail as do the smaller receivers. In my opinion, it would be a big mistake to take a big receiver over a better average size receiver.

http://www.buffaloru...bills-nfl-draft

I think that there are 5 safe picks (Mack, Clowney, Robinson, Mathews and Watkins). I think that Mathews has the least upside but he is certainly safe.

I would remove clowney.

He " probably will " be a once in a generation player .

But i just dont care for guys that rest up while on the field.

Kiko is the counter. He just goes and goes. Thats my kinda player .

I am serious about this point Kirby.

Mario Williams v2. Gonna be really good for some team. probably. and most likely deserve the high pick

: )

Unless the Bills already have 3 solid average size receivers. The only WR that is going to put one of them on the bench, IMO, is 6'5 Evans. Ebron may have lined up at WR some in college, but so does Jimmy Graham. He is a hybrid TE/WR Edited by YoloinOhio

I would remove clowney.

He " probably will " be a once in a generation player .

But i just dont care for guys that rest up while on the field.

Kiko is the counter. He just goes and goes. Thats my kinda player .

I am serious about this point Kirby.

Mario Williams v2. Gonna be really good for some team. probably. and most likely deserve the high pick

: )

Clowney is a bit of an enigma. I guess that I just think that he is so physically dominating that he will be a productive pass rusher no matter what. He may never live up to his enormous potential but I think that it will be difficult for that guy to be under 10 sacks (yes I know that he had only 3 last year). If he ever ended up on a DL with Watt or Mario he could be great. If he goes somewhere like ATL where he is the focal point he may struggle (by struggle I mean 10-11 sacks).

Unless the Bills already have 3 solid average size receivers. The only WR that is going to put one of them on the bench, IMO, is 6'5 Evans. Ebron may have lined up at WR some in college, but so does Jimmy Graham. He is a hybrid TE/WR

Evans is a different animal than what we already have on board. Just his height and range create a mismatch. What a great addition he might well be to the Bills. Might make EJs life bit easier too

You do know that Ebron was only 20 years old up until this very month?

Part of draft evaluation process is understanding that 99% of them have some "polishing up" to do. He's one of the youngest players in this draft, yet he's still considered a consensus top 15 ranked player. Yes he lacks blocking skills right now, however that's something which is very coachable. Especially with a young, dedicated and motivated pupil such as Ebron.

I saw someone throw out that Pettigrew was a great blocker coming out of college. I certainly hope so, dude was 24 years old when he was drafted...LOL

So someone has to be 21 to block? That's crazy talk. You can coach technique but you cannot coach desire. If the book on the kid is he cannot and will not block, that isn't changing.

Clowney is a bit of an enigma. I guess that I just think that he is so physically dominating that he will be a productive pass rusher no matter what. He may never live up to his enormous potential but I think that it will be difficult for that guy to be under 10 sacks (yes I know that he had only 3 last year). If he ever ended up on a DL with Watt or Mario he could be great. If he goes somewhere like ATL where he is the focal point he may struggle (by struggle I mean 10-11 sacks).

Agreed .

So someone has to be 21 to block? That's crazy talk. You can coach technique but you cannot coach desire. If the book on the kid is he cannot and will not block, that isn't changing.

Maybe Lee Smith could punch him in the face. Maybe he would start blocking then ? or would he cry ?

If anyone thinks he would suck it up , i mean at least Chandler tries , then i might see Ebron in a different light

Agreed .

Maybe Lee Smith could punch him in the face. Maybe he would start blocking then ? or would he cry ?

If anyone thinks he would suck it up , i mean at least Chandler tries , then i might see Ebron in a different light

Maybe that won't be his role and they'll split him out in the slot. But I would rather have someone who can set the edge on a consistent basis.

I don't know what makes you say that.

Bayer is nothing more than Lee Smith with better hands. I don't see how Bayer of all the tight ends in this class would be an improvment over what we already have on this roster. I would take Gragg over Bayer seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

Ebron is a jack of all trades but those whom don't want him ignore that.

Ebron can be lined up anywhere on the field and create mismatches

Ebron can block, there is evidence of it. Blieve me the kid can blow up defenders and can get good pad level just does not do it consistently. That is something I firmly believe Marrone could coach up.

Ebron has better hands than some want to give credit for. For every drop, there is an outstanding one handed catch or a catch in traffic with a defender drapped all over him. The kid is, at this point more of and athelte than a complete player. I will agree to that but that is one of the reasons for the drops. The kid is not well versed in the route tree and relies too heavily on his athletic ability to make plays. Causes lapses in concentration. Again an attribute that can be coached up. This is why, not only do you have a head coach but POSITION COACHES.

I would much rather work with the body kit of a Ferrari than that of a reliable Honda. Maybe you can't put the Ferrari as eaily, but when you do watch out.

At least you admit that he has better hands than Evans. I'm gonna take it a step further and say Bayer's hands are AT LEAST as good as Chandler's. From what I've seen, possibly better. Bayer is a more advanced route runner than Ebron at this stage in their development. Bayer can also make the tough catches that yield critical first downs. The fact that he isn't very fast makes his productivity all the more striking. Filling EJ's plate with all these downfield threats is a terrible mistake IMO. -He NEEDS to get his feet under him first. I think having a reliable, short range, weapon will provide the confidence he needs to move the chains, and eventually take bigger chances as a QB.

One more thing... I'm not big on Hondas because of transmission issues I've had with them in the past. (Standard and Automatic)

However, If I were choosing a car for an inexperienced driver, I'd pick the Honda all day. They're good on gas, have decent accelaration, relatively low maintenence. (until the tranny craps out.) -Ideally, I'd prefer a midsize Toyota. The performance is MORE than adequate, and the quality, and durability are both outstanding. -They also hold value well, but I digress... The value of a TE, to me, is specifically in their reliability. Can they get you what you need, when you need it? What I've seen of Alex Bayer tells me that he can and will, if given the chance. What I've seen of Ebron tells me that he may, or may not. Ultimately, It seems these racecar type TE's (Gates, Graham) generally do better with more experienced QB's... Why not get EJ something he can actually drive? I mean, -er, use.

Edited by #34fan

11% drops but they also said he was often double covered and thrown to so many times that 11% is very misleading

He is the only TE consider 1rd worthy..he is ranked higher in all around ability than most wrs..

If you don't like him I understand but you really have to watch footage to appreciate how good he really is or can be...not just read bios

Unless the Bills already have 3 solid average size receivers. The only WR that is going to put one of them on the bench, IMO, is 6'5 Evans. Ebron may have lined up at WR some in college, but so does Jimmy Graham. He is a hybrid TE/WR

Point taken, but what is the value of using Ebron as a 6'4" WR who doesn't block if he doesn't score TDs in the red zone? The value of having a big receiver is (from what I understand) being able to throw it up to him in the congested area of the end zone and have him come down with it. Ebron has not demonstrated that he can consistently score TDs, so I don't think it matters at all that he is 6'4" and that Marqise Lee is 5'11".

Point taken, but what is the value of using Ebron as a 6'4" WR who doesn't block if he doesn't score TDs in the red zone? The value of having a big receiver is (from what I understand) being able to throw it up to him in the congested area of the end zone and have him come down with it. Ebron has not demonstrated that he can consistently score TDs, so I don't think it matters at all that he is 6'4" and that Marqise Lee is 5'11".

You have to project these players to the NFL. BTW, I love Marquise Lee and would take him if we dropped back a bit. As for Ebron and production, Tim Tebow was very productive scoring TD's on a college level. Ebron was very productive as a college player, just didn't have the right situation, including QB to rack up more TD's. On 3rd and 1 or on the goalline, Ebron will not be covered by most NFL players 1 on 1. The NFL is all about creating mis-matches and Ebron projects to be that type of player with his instant acceleration, big body, leaping ability, and body control.

Edited by jeffismagic

Maybe that won't be his role and they'll split him out in the slot. But I would rather have someone who can set the edge on a consistent basis.

Not sure what Marrone wants form the team this year , but i would guess... he want to run between the tackles till the def starts to stack the box.

And if we draft a TE (if and when ) he probably should be a decent and willing blocker.

I bet Ebron will make some team happy . :thumbsup:

Edited by 3rdand12

By the comments of the Bills Brass at that press conference, I have no question that Ebron will be the Bills pick at 9.

Reading between the lines last year you could see they were looking at Manuel. It's going to be Ebron 1, OL second round, possible WR 3rd

Your point about tds is well taken. But (and I don't see a ton of UNC games), Ebron was highly known at the start of the season. I'm guessing he got the Calvin Johnson treatment in the red zone, double teams. Teams probably weren't going to let their star TE go one on one.

Jimmy Graham had 17 catches and 5 tds his last year in college. Rob Gronkowski didn't play his last year in college. But TEs that can average close to 16 yards/ catch, with a long of 79, and have almost 200 yards in a game are rare. He isn't a perfect prospect at all, but his upside is tremedous. He adds a dimension that the Bills haven't possibly had ever.

He isn't going to be another OT, but all you really want from a TE is effort. When you're young and the number #1 receiver, you probably slack on your blocking. When he's competiting for playing time and money, you might focus more. Jimmy Graham isn't a great blocker but I'll take him on this team. Blocking from TEs is just mainly about effort and Ebron won't be staying in to block and I'm confident he can block dbs on long runs.

IMO (and I am by no means an x's and 0's expert so please don't think I am trying to act that way, if I am I apologize) they don't need to use him a a 6'4 WR. The Bills have 3 good to very good starting WRs as well as a 4th guy who is the fastest player in the league. Ebron would be used as a TE. However - he could be lined up as a WR for certain plays and because I do watch a TON of CFB please don't think that because he "doesn't score TDs in tne red zone" in college that in the NFL he will not be able to do so. He will be in an entirely different scheme. I can't tell you how many TEs I watch in college and think about how good they will be once they get to the NFL, and they are. The majority of college offenses are very simple in comparison to the NFL. Also, whichever team drafts him will be confident they can develop him into what they need to help their offense.

Did anyone else read this?

From Bleacher Report.

Wont let me post the link.

At 6'7" and 260 pounds, Chandler is a little bit bigger than Ebron. However, Ebron is on another planet athletically. Ebron was recently put to the test in the Sport Science laboratory.

Some highlights from the Sport Science feature on Ebron include his 3,128 cubic foot catchable range, which is greater than that of Rob Gronkowski (3,002 cubic feet). Ebron also ranked in the 91st percentile of Sport Science's combine metric, which is comparable to future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan