Where Are Jesse and Al?!

boyst

it would be even better if Jackson would say that in front of television cameras from time to time. sure, there will always be racism to one extent or another, but the racist/segregationist element in our society has largely been eliminated, and it would go a long way toward relieveing some of the unnessary racial tension that exists in our society today.

I agree and am in DC Tom's camp about his private vs public persona. Whatever his faults, I'll always applaud Bill Cosby for trying to publicly point out the African-American community needs to take more responsibility for its problems.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point. The attackers made a decision to do what they did, but we really don't know why. Their character sucks and that's the problem. Lousy character comes in all shapes, sizes, ages and races.

But there has to be more involved than "lousy character". There is a reason that this happens in Black communities and not in White communities.

I see your point. The attackers made a decision to do what they did, but we really don't know why. Their character sucks and that's the problem. Lousy character comes in all shapes, sizes, ages and races.

if it was a black dude who got the whoopin do you think we would have:

a) heard about it if done by other black dudes

b) even had a story because the black dudes might not have done it?

c) blame George Zimmerman

Its sad to think that race motivates some people. I don't get why. I don't get why something so insignificant has to be mentioned in any incident.

Actually Jessie Jackson came to speak at the hospital I work at in Feb of 2013 and I found the time to go and hear him. I was quite surprised and pleased to hear him say the fight for racial equality is over and that while isolated racism still exists both the black and white communities need to continue to come together and work together. It would be great if some leaders of the black community publicly condemned this altercation.

the fun part is he likely pressured his way to become the speaker there and get paid for it.

But there has to be more involved than "lousy character". There is a reason that this happens in Black communities and not in White communities.

uh. This happens in all communities.

Find a minority in the wrong part of the country in the country and find a good ol country boy and you'll get the same.

Find a homosexual in the wrong part of anywhere and you'll find he might end up the same way.

I agree and am in DC Tom's camp about his private vs public persona. Whatever his faults, I'll always applaud Bill Cosby for trying to publicly point out the African-American community needs to take more responsibility for its problems.

I'm of similar mind. Jackson is no idiot, and I would imagine (or so I would hope, anyway) that he's more reasonable in private. my reply to Tom was meant as friendly, tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, but I guess that wasn't as obvious as I had assumed it to be.

if it was a black dude who got the whoopin do you think we would have:

a) heard about it if done by other black dudes

b) even had a story because the black dudes might not have done it?

c) blame George Zimmerman

Its sad to think that race motivates some people. I don't get why. I don't get why something so insignificant has to be mentioned in any incident.

the fun part is he likely pressured his way to become the speaker there and get paid for it.

uh. This happens in all communities.

Find a minority in the wrong part of the country in the country and find a good ol country boy and you'll get the same.

Find a homosexual in the wrong part of anywhere and you'll find he might end up the same way.

Oooops. I should have excluded North Carolina from my prior statement. :D Go to any large city and you will find instances like this happening in Black areas while not in White areas. It cannot be dismissed as "lousy character" without making that a condemnation of Blacks. There's something else behind it and that is where the discussion should begin. Is it resentment? Thuggery? Despair?

I'm of similar mind. Jackson is no idiot, and I would imagine (or so I would hope, anyway) that he's more reasonable in private. my reply to Tom was meant as friendly, tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, but I guess that wasn't as obvious as I had assumed it to be.

If it's any consolation, the sarcasm meter was off the charts in your second reply to Tom. :)

Oooops. I should have excluded North Carolina from my prior statement. :D Go to any large city and you will find instances like this happening in Black areas while not in White areas. It cannot be dismissed as "lousy character" without making that a condemnation of Blacks. There's something else behind it and that is where the discussion should begin. Is it resentment? Thuggery? Despair?

Seriously? If you're saying this I may have just lost a little respect for you. It's not race. It's that liberal word - and it is true, socio-economic.

But the mob didn't! Good thing those kids didn't have guns, the guy would be dead

I wish the victim had an AR15. I would have given him a meddle to have made slushies out of each one of the walking fecal piles that attacked him.

Of course, he'd be on trial for killing defenseless kids or something like that.

Seriously? If you're saying this I may have just lost a little respect for you. It's not race. It's that liberal word - and it is true, socio-economic.

I wish the victim had an AR15. I would have given him a meddle to have made slushies out of each one of the walking fecal piles that attacked him.

Of course, he'd be on trial for killing defenseless kids or something like that.

My comments were meant to promote discussion. KTF tried to blame these incidents on "lousy character" but I contend that it has to be more than that. If it was just that and these incidences are overwhelmingly in Black areas, then a case for Blacks having less character could be made. You are saying it is socio-economic factors. State your case and don't medal with anything else.

My comments were meant to promote discussion. KTF tried to blame these incidents on "lousy character" but I contend that it has to be more than that. If it was just that and these incidences are overwhelmingly in Black areas, then a case for Blacks having less character could be made. You are saying it is socio-economic factors. State your case and don't medal with anything else.

I misunderstood. I am sorry about that.

It is socio-economic because it is just that. Folks living in such poverty do not have much. They rely on each other and have a neighborhood mentality that may better be described as tribal. Outsiders are not welcome easily and they defend their turf.

But the mob didn't! Good thing those kids didn't have guns, the guy would be dead

Probably did but EBT cards can't buy ammo. At least not yet anyway. Edited by Dante

Racial bias is a character flaw and a big one when it results in an incident like this, but we really don't know if this was a racially motivated event do we.

Racial bias is a character flaw and a big one when it results in an incident like this, but we really don't know if this was a racially motivated event do we.

It still comes back to if this would have happened in a White neighborhood. Since this happens overwhelmingly in Black neighborhoods, do you believe there is a higher percentage of Blacks with character flaws than Whites? Jboyst thinks it's because they are poor, I on the other hand, wonder if being broke makes you want to beat on someone?