Thad Lewis compared to Backups around the league

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Honestly, I wish EJ had that game. I would have felt so much better about him.

What about a comeback win (296 yards) against the #2 ranked D in the NFL? Or shredding a Rex Ryan coached team in a wind storm? EJ certainly had his moments too. And Thad was in his 3rd year in the NFL.

What about a comeback win (296 yards) against the #2 ranked D in the NFL? Or shredding a Rex Ryan coached team in a wind storm? EJ certainly had his moments too. And Thad was in his 3rd year in the NFL.

I wanted to see EJ finish strong. Not have his two best games be his first two. And let's be honest, Geno Smith gave EJ a helping hand in that Jets game.

I'm really not saying anything other than I don't see the point in judging his status as a backup, based on hypothetical stats stretched over a 16 game season, since he would not be started 16 games as a backup. The thread has a link that points out he was likely our best option based on what was available. I am not arguing anything.

unless EJ gets hurt in camp and then he might be.

i know you cant just multiply it out, but i think thats a fair way to get a grasp on how much of an issue something was. he may not have gotten to 20, he could have been at 30 given 16 games - who knows, but in the games he did start it was clearly a major issue

Last year was his fourth season in the league. I only mention that because it underscores that Lewis has been exposed to the NFL game at a deep level for a while now. That experience counts for something, but I'd feel better with somebody else. I think we'll draft that somebody else this year. You may be right about Murray.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ started twice as many games as Thad 10/5, but Thad fumbled more times in half the starts. I never felt comfortable with Thad playing, seemed like a turnover was right around the corner.

agreed. Just something about EJ reminds me of Trent Edwards. I hope EJ can become more aggressive.

(Thad started one as a brown, so four games difference.)

Edited by JaxBills

agreed. Just something about EJ reminds me of Trent Edwards. I hope EJ can become more aggressive.

(Thad started one as a brown, so four games difference.)

As am I. Not out of the ordinary for a rookie to err on the side of caution. Thought he was coming around in the Cleveland game, then we know what happened next.

Last year was his fourth season in the league. I only mention that because it underscores that Lewis has been exposed to the NFL game at a deep level for a while now. That experience counts for something, but I'd feel better with somebody else. I think we'll draft that somebody else this year. You may be right about Murray.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know why this gets so broadly overlooked...3+ years of NFL coaching makes a massive, massive difference in comparison to a rookie that missed more than half his first preseason and 6 regular season games.

I don't know why this gets so broadly overlooked...3+ years of NFL coaching makes a massive, massive difference in comparison to a rookie that missed more than half his first preseason and 6 regular season games.

I'm thinking Thad has roughly the same number of starts EJ has had ? I'm not sure how good Thad is, or EJ for that matter but neither have had a lot of NFL starts. Thad does seem a serviceable back-up. We need to see more of what he has to offer, and if he shows improvement if called upon. I'm hoping so.

mainly because our own GM said that it takes 16 starts to judge a QB. EJ-10 Thad-6. We still have some games. Both guys had some bad fumbles, and to many bad decisions. I just like how Thad plays. He got rid of the ball quick when he was playing well.

EJ. Man, perfect physical candidate. I just don't see a killer instinct. His best plays seem to on dump offs, after scanung the whole field.

Edited by JaxBills

mainly because our own GM said that it takes 16 starts to judge a QB. EJ-10 Thad-6. We still have some games. Both guys had some bad fumbles, and to many bad decisions. I just like how Thad plays. He got rid of the ball quick when he was playing well.

EJ. Man, perfect physical candidate. I just don't see a killer instinct. His best plays seem to on dump offs, after scanung the whole field.

Sure, it absolutely takes many starts to judge a guy...what I was asking is more along the lines of: why does the fact that Thad Lewis had 3+ seasons of NFL coaching not get taken into consideration when comparing his play with EJ's given how little practice time EJ got as a rookie?

My personal opinion is that there wasn't an appreciable difference between the two in terms of performance, but in terms of ability, the difference is quite evident.

Sure, it absolutely takes many starts to judge a guy...what I was asking is more along the lines of: why does the fact that Thad Lewis had 3+ seasons of NFL coaching not get taken into consideration when comparing his play with EJ's given how little practice time EJ got as a rookie?

My personal opinion is that there wasn't an appreciable difference between the two in terms of performance, but in terms of ability, the difference is quite evident.

Exactly. Thad has the "ability" to throw the deep ball in bounds. EJ? Not so much.

its not enough....it will never be enough for some on this board

Exactly. Thad has the "ability" to throw the deep ball in bounds. EJ? Not so much.

because of course....that is what makes a successful NFL QB

So you didn't watch the Baltimore game or the 2nd Jets game?

A dead clock is right twice a day.

I did watch them though. I did watch EJ's "ability" piss away 5 turnovers in the Ravens game. His "ability" to not get a single TD after 2 red zone picks.

And the second Jets game? Was that the other game we won with 4+ takeaways? When EJ's "ability" made Dee Milliner run the wrong way, allowing Graham to run 10 yards backwards for the ball?

He looks the part. He's big and athletic looking. And he's a personable young man. But his ability remains to be seen.

A dead clock is right twice a day.

I did watch them though. I did watch EJ's "ability" piss away 5 turnovers in the Ravens game. His "ability" to not get a single TD after 2 red zone picks.

And the second Jets game? Was that the other game we won with 4+ takeaways? When EJ's "ability" made Dee Milliner run the wrong way, allowing Graham to run 10 yards backwards for the ball?

He looks the part. He's big and athletic looking. And he's a personable young man. But his ability remains to be seen.

Honestly, given your proclivity towards the negative viewpoint, I don't think you'd recognize ANY of EJ's demonstrated "ability" last year if it bit you in the ass. He made several major league throws during the course of the season starting with his first game against NE*. Throws you probably don't recognize as major league because nothing seems to quality unless it's the "long ball."

GO BILLS!!!

Honestly, given your proclivity towards the negative viewpoint, I don't think you'd recognize ANY of EJ's demonstrated "ability" last year if it bit you in the ass. He made several major league throws during the course of the season starting with his first game against NE*. Throws you probably don't recognize as major league because nothing seems to quality unless it's the "long ball."

GO BILLS!!!

Well seeing as we were discussing the "ability" of Thad vs. EJ in which bandit stated "the difference is quite evident." Did Thad not have any major league throws last season? I believe he had as many, or enough to be comparable to EJ. Combined with Thad's ability to throw deep, where EJ has failed NUMEROUS times, I fail to see the "evident difference".

How can any poster say they are the same in performance, yet different in ability? Is EJ "able" to perform better but can't?

Edited by FireChan

He made several major league throws during the course of the season starting with his first game against NE*. Throws you probably don't recognize as major league because nothing seems to quality unless it's the "long ball."

GO BILLS!!!

The 2 fumbled completions, one in the last minute of regulation and the one in OT vs Atlanta were both right on the money clutch time throws too. FireChan can probably find fault with those 2 I'm sure.

The 2 fumbled completions, one in the last minute of regulation and the one in OT vs Atlanta were both right on the money clutch time throws too. FireChan can probably find fault with those 2 I'm sure.

I can't, they were great.

You know what really breeds discussion and dialogue? Throwing around hyperbole to discredit another poster.