Houston looking to trade 1st pick (Buffalo?)

According to a friend who lived in a Houston suburb, there's a writer for the Houston Chronicle named John McClain and he gets a lot respect because he's really plugged into the Texans - he evidently has a source who feeds him accurate information nearly 100% of the time.

This is what he said:http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/449601763096551424

I actually know McClain a bit through one of my AP contacts--he's usually quite reliable with only 2 memorable exceptions (Pepper Johnson to Houston this offseason and Clay Matthews to Houston in the draft).

He and I share a common contact around the Texans organization...I, however, don't get the same level of info he does, for obvious reasons.

One thing I have heard is that Houston likes Garropolo a lot; perhaps even enough to pass on a QB at 1 and take him in round 2.

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to a friend who lives in a Houston suburb, there's a writer for the Houston Chronicle named John McClain and he gets a lot respect because he's really plugged into the Texans - he evidently has a source who feeds him accurate information nearly 100% of the time.

This is what McClain said about the potential trade:

John McClain@McClain_on_NFL

No way Texans trade with Buffalo to ninth.

http://twitter.com/M...601763096551424

Murph referred to this on his show last night as well... B-)

Whaleys background in Pittsburgh was more of a "build from the draft" arrangement. Get ascending players and dispose of descending players if I remember correctly. So I would think if there is any truth whatsoever to the rumor it'd be for Clowney since Mario is getting up there and is getting more expensive from a cap perspective.

Given that I just dont see this happening given the cost of such a move. Its just too much baggage going forward in terms of giving up picks IMHO. For a franchise QB ?? I could see it. I don't think they are ready to abandon EJ just yet and they "probably" shouldn't be.

I actually know McClain a bit through one of my AP contacts--he's usually quite reliable with only 2 memorable exceptions (Pepper Johnson to Houston this offseason and Clay Matthews to Houston in the draft).

He and I share a common contact around the Texans organization...I, however, don't get the same level of info he does, for obvious reasons.

One thing I have heard is that Houston likes Garropolo a lot; enough to pass on a QB at 1 and take him in round 2.

As far as I know McClain has not backed down on his claim that the Texans are taking a QB at #1 no matter what...I think Johnny Football's Pro Day only helped those chances...The more the QB's get pushed up the more pressure there is on the Texans to go QB there...

And no offense to Garropolo...He may very well turn out great...But good luck to the Texans with that plan...That's a big risk... B-)

As far as I know McClain has not backed down on his claim that the Texans are taking a QB at #1 no matter what...I think Johnny Football's Pro Day only helped those chances...The more the QB's get pushed up the more pressure there is on the Texans to go QB there...

And no offense to Garropolo...He may very well turn out great...But good luck to the Texans with that plan...That's a big risk... B-)

Yes, all of that may indeed be true.

I don't think Houston liking Manziel and Garropolo are mutually exclusive events.

I think it's going to come down to whether they like Manziel as much at QB as they do Clowney at DE

Yes, all of that may indeed be true.

I don't think Houston liking Manziel and Garropolo are mutually exclusive events.

I think it's going to come down to whether they like Manziel as much at QB as they do Clowney at DE

It may be just my opinion, but I think Bortles is still in play at #1 overall...There are a lot of dots that can be connected with O'Brien and Bortles...It's no secret O'Brien likes that kid... B-)

Texas fans rode Charlie Casserly out of town with hate for not picking Vince Young, and going with Super Mario. Shoot, most of them thought Reggie Bush was even a better pick back then. He did after all resign, rather then being fired.

I can't imagine what the fans will do this time should the Texans pass on Johnny football. Probably why the Texans are talking trading out of that pick, so they don't need to face the RN hostile fans from their decision. Especially should they not want Manziel with that #1 overall. I don't see them drafting Bortles, and if they do trade back then they must not think that much of Clowney.

Another interesting rumor,

"UA quarterback AJ McCarron threw for scouts and went through a few drills, though he didn't run the 40 again (he did so at the combine). A member of the Houston Texans' scouting contingent appeared to be paying especially close attention to McCarron."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000333287/article/eagles-coach-chip-kelly-among-top-names-at-tide-pro-day?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cb

Usually when there is smoke, there is fire....or not. :D

Then looking at NFL.coms draft rumors, the bills have shown marked interest in WR Sammy Watkins & TE Eric Ebron.

"March 17: Watkins grew up a Bills fan

Watkins was on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" and admitted that his favorite team growing up was the Bills. Wide receiver is among the Bills' top draft needs, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who writes, "If Sammy Watkins would somehow fall to No. 9, it would be difficult for Buffalo to pass."

Perhaps Kirby Jackson is correct when he states that he thinks the Bills have a strong interest in Watkins. It could also be that the Rams have a strong interest in Watkins, and so the only way the bills could draft the kid is to trade up to that #1 overall.

"March 25: Bills scout witnesses UNC's pro day

A scout from the tight end-needy Bills was among the representatives on hand for North Carolina's pro day, where Ebron worked out and solidified his first-round draft status, according to NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000324489/article/2014-nfl-draft-rumors-afc-east

The only player with the potential impact to justify the true cost of doing this is the "almost" sure thing great QB. And there is no longer a QB in the draft with the name Luck. A few years too late.

The Colts knew what they had in Luck, and wouldn't have traded him for 4 first round picks.

The Bills have had their shots over the last few years, or perhaps Nix preferred to roll the dice, and hope someone like Cam Newton falls to him.

OTOH, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Andy Dalton were all available, and Nix didn't think they were worthy....yet he pulls the trigger on EJ.

Anyway, more about the Texans trading out of #1 http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24504817/report-texans-trying-hard-to-trade-first-overall-draft-pick

The Colts knew what they had in Luck, and wouldn't have traded him for 4 first round picks.

The Bills have had their shots over the last few years, or perhaps Nix preferred to roll the dice, and hope someone like Cam Newton falls to him.

OTOH, Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, Andy Dalton were all available, and Nix didn't think they were worthy....yet he pulls the trigger on EJ.

Anyway, more about the Texans trading out of #1 http://www.cbssports...rall-draft-pick

I don't know that Buddy didn't find them "worthy." I think he either didn't understand the over-inflated value of the position (this is my personal favorite) or he valued them less than others did. I think that in regards to the QB position Buddy was always a day late, a dollar short. Then his back was placed firmly against the wall and he had no choice...

I don't under why this team, in this draft would want o move up. If anything, with as deep a draft as this appears to be, I'd want to see us trade back and collect picks. No one player will make that big a difference for us.

I don't know that Buddy didn't find them "worthy." I think he either didn't understand the over-inflated value of the position (this is my personal favorite) or he valued them less than others did. I think that in regards to the QB position Buddy was always a day late, a dollar short. Then his back was placed firmly against the wall and he had no choice...

Yep.

Sure was.

Would you give all that up for a game changer like J.J watt?

No...

What has Watt, with all his incredible ability, got the Texans really? He's one piece in what has been a good to very good Defense over these past three years...They made the Playoffs 2 out of his 3 years, and are 2-2 in 4 Playoff games with Watt...They got thumped on the road in the Playoffs 2 consecutive years...

Watt is an incredible talent...But he can't win anything all by his lonesome, and he especially can't win anything without a good QB on his team...If a team was going to give up a ton for a JJ Watt-type talent they better be darn sure they are a JJ Watt-type talent away from a legit SB run...Because at the end of the day he's just one out of 11 on Defense...And he's not a QB... B-)