NFL network article and EJ interview

First the interview with EJ just confirms why I like and have so much faith in this kid. At this point I'd be shocked if he didn't succeed. Obviously none of can predict if he'll be a super bowl winning type of QB but I find it difficult to imagine him being an NFL castaway.

Second, in this article Sessler mentions at the NFL combine Marrone said the decision makers could go in any direction at the QB position. He said today Marrone said their all in with EJ. I've never heard anything of the contrary to EJ being the guy. Have any of you?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000336423/article/doug-marrone-buffalo-bills-all-in-with-ej-manuel

First the interview with EJ just confirms why I like and have so much faith in this kid. At this point I'd be shocked if he didn't succeed. Obviously none of can predict if he'll be a super bowl winning type of QB but I find it difficult to imagine him being an NFL castaway.

Second, in this article Sessler mentions at the NFL combine Marrone said the decision makers could go in any direction at the QB position. He said today Marrone said their all in with EJ. I've never heard anything of the contrary to EJ being the guy. Have any of you?

http://www.nfl.com/n...-with-ej-manuel

He meant backup QB position.

Do you think this article made it seem that's what he meant? I'm seriously wondering if I read into that wrong.

I think Doc is right AND Whaley and co are screwing with the Media that are constantly on their jocks about our QB position. I will say with how he struggled last year I would NOT have committed to him so hard. He needs to step up and earn the job and he hasn't yet. Plus teams below us may want a QB and I would want #9 as stronger trade bait.

Do you think this article made it seem that's what he meant? I'm seriously wondering if I read into that wrong.

The article was based on an earlier article that took Whaley's and Marrone's words out of context, when they were talking about the backup QB position. There was even a thread on TSW about it.

I think Doc is right AND Whaley and co are screwing with the Media that are constantly on their jocks about our QB position. I will say with how he struggled last year I would NOT have committed to him so hard. He needs to step up and earn the job and he hasn't yet. Plus teams below us may want a QB and I would want #9 as stronger trade bait.

So would you not have committed to Peyton Manning (28 ints, 3-13), Troy Aikman (9 tds, 18 ints, 1-15), John Elway (7 tds, 14 ints, 4-6), etc.? As rookie years go, Manuel's was average at worst.

I may be wrong, but it sounds like the Mike Evans talk is either to get someone to take him (either a team already there or one trading up) or someone to trade up with the Bills.

I am with you Doc. I would love the kid in a Bills uniform BUT the talent difference between him and someone lower first or High second is minimal at best. As deep as this draft is I would love to have about 3 additional picks

So would you not have committed to Peyton Manning (28 ints, 3-13), Troy Aikman (9 tds, 18 ints, 1-15), John Elway (7 tds, 14 ints, 4-6), etc.? As rookie years go, Manuel's was average at worst.

I hate this argument. Sorry, but its stupid and not thoughtful.

With those guys, the teams KNEW that they had a franchise guy. And the fans knew. And the media knew.

With EJ, nobody knows yet. He hasnt shown anything. Nothing.

Lemme ax ya dis: If you were the GM of the Bills now, or the Cowboys, Colts, or Broncos then, and somebody picked up the phone on March 24 in the offseason after their rookie seasons and offered the 1st overall pick for Aikman, Manning, Elway, or EJ, would ya?

For the first 3, of course not. Because you know that its not all about stats. For the 4th one, i think you would, or at least consider it. Because its not about stats for a Franchise QB in his first year. Does he have "it" or doesnt he?

I am with you Doc. I would love the kid in a Bills uniform BUT the talent difference between him and someone lower first or High second is minimal at best. As deep as this draft is I would love to have about 3 additional picks

I'm not overly impressed with Evans. If they're thinking receiver, I'd rather go with AS-J, who can also block.

With those guys, the teams KNEW that they had a franchise guy. And the fans knew. And the media knew.

Lemme ax ya dis: If you were the GM of the Bills now, or the Cowboys, Colts, or Broncos then, and somebody picked up the phone on March 24 in the offseason after their rookie seasons and offered the 1st overall pick for Aikman, Manning, Elway, or EJ, would ya?

For the first 3, of course not. Because you know that its not all about stats. For the 4th one, i think you would, or at least consider it. Because its not about stats for a Franchise QB in his first year. Does he have "it" or doesnt he?

He's shown a lot more than nothing. And just because those guys were taken 1st overall, there was no certainty that they were franchise guys.

I'm not overly impressed with Evans. If they're thinking receiver, I'd rather go with AS-J, who can also block.

He's shown a lot more than nothing. And just because those guys were taken 1st overall, there was no certainty that they were franchise guys.

I think that's a tad bit revisionist history. Or maybe you're too young. Those guys were like Andrew Luck. Even if the colts had gone 4-12 last year, everybody knows Luck has "it."

And the aforementioned 3 had "it."

And you would not take the first overall pick in trade for any of them in the offseason after their bad rookie seasons.

Would you now for EJ? Would ya?

You get my overall point. Sometimes you KNOW, stats notwithstanding. And with EJ you dont KNOW.

Edited by maddenboy

Is there another WR in the lower 1st or early 2nd that is 6-5 with a 37" vertical, 35" arms, who runs 4.5 and had 2500 yards and 17 TD's in only 2 seasons in the SEC?

There's a reason most every big board you can find has Evans in the Top 13 or so...He's a rare talent...The only thing close to him in this Draft is Benjamin who is slower, heavier, not as quick, and not as productive...Not that I don't like Benjamin because I do...But he's not Evans...Evans has elite potential...It's just potential until he actually does it...But it's elite potential nonetheless...And he's one-of-a-kind in this Draft... B-)

Really? Tell me this is hyperbole. I agree that nobody knows what will become of him but to say he showed nothing is false.

Is there another WR in the lower 1st or early 2nd that is 6-5 with a 37" vertical, 35" arms, who runs 4.5 and had 2500 yards and 17 TD's in only 2 seasons in the SEC?

There's a reason most every big board you can find has Evans in the Top 13 or so...He's a rare talent...The only thing close to him in this Draft is Benjamin who is slower, heavier, not as quick, and not as productive...Not that I don't like Benjamin because I do...But he's not Evans...Evans has elite potential...It's just potential until he actually does it...But it's elite potential nonetheless...And he's one-of-a-kind in this Draft... B-)

I am with you sir. I don't understand the argument "just get someone later". Tall receivers dominate in the NFL yet there aren't many 6'3" or taller that can play to come out of college each year.

11 of the 15 top yardage leaders last year we're 6'3" or taller with Dez Bryant not counting at 6'2". 10 of the 13 receivers with 10 or more TD's were 6'3" or taller with Dez Bryant and Marvin Jones being 6'2".

When there's a 6'5" receiver available to you at your pick with the measurables that KO mentions in his post you better be extra sure he's not the guy, because they are so rare and so crucial to have.

There's only 3 WR's 6'3" or taller ranked in the top 100 prospects. Kellyto83TD said there's only a minimal difference between him and someone else lower, he couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by Triple Threat

Video i haven't seen posted after his rookie camp. says Bills offense is simpler than the FSU offense, one that was criticized for EJ only having to see half of the field. Possibly Hackett does this to help progress EJ, possibly a reflection on EJ's NFL readiness, or even a knock on Hackett for not giving the NFL enough credit for need for scheming. Not sure if this has any legs, obviously you have to take these interviews with a grain of salt.