Today I cried.....

My sister went last week or so for that genetic testing, because my mother had ovarian in 1978 and breast in 2000. She died in 2012 from neither.

She said somehow I'm supposed to go, too! They still have to give her results.

Sorry to hear about your mom in 2012. But your mother beat them both! That is a good sign for your sister. I know my one sister had a voluntary ovectomy after she had children... Not sure about my younger sister?

Why would males have to test genetically? Huh?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your mom in 2012. But your mother beat them both! That is a good sign for your sister. I know my one sister had a voluntary ovectomy after she had children... Not sure about my younger sister?

Huh is what I said. I don't remember the answer!

And, yeah - my mother had 9 lives for sure. Beat those two, benign brain tumors, been on life support and come through, all kinds of crazy stuff.............Part of me still thinks she's coming back again!

Generally, if they suspect the tumor is local and hasn't spread, the assumption is that surgery is sufficient...docs will only prescribe chemo if they have reason to believe the cancer may have spread (no clean margins on the removed tissue, lymph nodes, etc.).

Right now, for Jimbo, it depends on whether it's a local recurrence or if the cancer has spread (in my mind, it's hard to picture how the cancer could recur locally given that his entire jaw was reconstructed, but we just don't know at this point).

Totally agree that it's senseless that this would happen to someone like #12, who has already been through so much. I was personally devastated after Tim Russert passed away because he was such a great ambassador for and champion of Buffalo. I'm keeping Jim in my prayers right now, not just for his family, but for the community that he means so much to.

He's the past, present and future of this community.

Agreed on Tim Russert. I cried the day he died. It's so upsetting on Jim. After meeting him a couple of times in the early 90's, I just saw him again this year. This time my sister is a top person for Wegmans Corporate so when they had Jim for a signing before the Bills / Patriots game, we were moved up to the first persons to meet Jim. We live in Tampa so it was a special weekend for myself and my boys. They were able to take a shot with him, etc. we left to go to a family party for us, and he was so nice, he invited my sister, and told her to call us to go out to the Big Tree for some wings,etc. we couldn't as our whole family was at my dad's house to spend time with us, but just that he invited her was so gracious.

My dad has beaten two cancers, and lost on my mom 6 years ago. It's emotional as I just lost my cousin to cancer Friday, and my wife's uncle this past week. I remember at my mom's funeral, the priest saying we pray not for Maryann (my mom), but for those who grieve for her as she is in heaven with Jesus. Those words are so true as mom is with her mom and dad, but seeing how hard it was and is on my Dad is what is the tough part. I've added Jimbo to my prayers, and keep him safe. He seems to be such a good man, and emulates Buffalo.

Thankfully he is evaluated by one of the top 3 cancer treatment centers in the world at Sloan Kettering. I would do the same if I were him. God bless Jim!

First of all I want to say how sorry I am to all who has lost a loved one or a friend to cancer or any illness. I to have lost my mother to this awful disease 8 years ago she was only 60 years old. So I want to say to the whole Kelly family to hang in there and wish Jim the very best and my prayers go out to him. :)

Posted this in the Suggestion Box the other day, maybe others could chime in:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/166569-jim-kelly-good-time-to-put-him-on-the-front-page/#entry3087836

I share the same feelings as everyone else here... Kelly means a lot more to me than simply QB for the best Bills teams of my life.

Over the last few years here, on TBD, I have grown increasingly annoyed with posters who harp on about the imperfections that Kelly, Levy, Bruce, Thomas, Reed, etc etc had, and how each one played some huge part in the teams failure to win a Super Bowl during those years. These guys gave us so much...

Jim, in particular, grew up in front of us... from brash and a little arrogant, to a good man. Hearing of his suffering is tough. He is only about 5 years older than me, and I gotta admit, he is still, even at my age, somebody I kind of look up to. My own family has been ravaged by cancer (3 family members have passed in the last 5 years from cancer, another sister battling it now), and it hurts. Kelly, for me, almost feels like another family member suffering. And like the OP, I admit, I got a little choked up by the picture of Bruce, Thurman and Andre in the hospital with #12...but the picture of Jim and daughter turned the lump in my throat to a few tears. It all feels too familiar.

Well i guess the time is right to finaly respond to a post. I have been reading this board for a long time ( about 10 yrs ) & have been very entertained. Been a long time Bills fan (started around the Chuck Knox era). I think we all can agree as to the type of player Jim Kelly was and I think we all know about his off the field doings. I think at some point in his life he came to a cross road and had to decide what road he was going to travel. Jim chose the high road and that road to most of us would have been untravelable. There is a reason why Jim has been able to travel this road and that comes from deep inside. After reading the OP I sat back and reflected on everything I knew about Jim Kelly the player and Jim Kelly the man. I too cried today. My thoughts and most of all prayers are with you Jim and your family. Be healed my freind!

One thing comes to mind:

When I was growing up, I had a Jim Kelly home jersey--the "cheap" kind, with the numbers painted on. I could have cared less if it was cheap, to me it was priceless. I must have worn it 6 days a week, and the only reason I didn't wear it seven was because Saturday was laundry day. I wore and washed it so much the numbers peeled off. So I got another one the next year, because I just couldn't go without my Kelly jersey those days. The jersey probably cost around 50$ back then--which for a kid with a dad who had just been laid off was (I realize now) quite a bit of money. Eventually, the numbers peeled off that second jersey too. The name faded off the back, and that was the last jersey I ever owned--17 years ago.

Since then, I've debated many times about buying another jersey. 2 things have held me back. I'm a grown man now, married, with real life expenses like car payments and a mortgage. The thought of spending 75-100$ on a shirt with another mans name on the back--a man who is younger than me by a decade--seems extravagant at best and pathetic at worst. But even if I decided to buy a jersey, the more pressing issue has always been WHAT jersey to buy?

At one point I thought a Poz jersey would be nice. But seeing those around the stadium now just seems ridiculous. Will the same hold true for Alonso in 5 years? I hope not, but if history is any indication, we'll be seeing his name on the back of a Steelers jersey by 2018. Good thing I never got another QBs jersey--from Bledsoe to Edwards to Losman to Flutie to Manuel to Fitzpatrick. Each have had windows where they looked like they could be great... and some of them even were great for a few games... hell Manual might even become great eventually... but none of them transcend the field, transcend the team, or transcend the sport.

So, today I'm going to spend the 150$ to get the only jersey a Bills fan should ever own:

http://www.shopthebi...ntic-royal.aspx

The authentic version of the jersey I wore as a kid. And I'll wear this one every game day for the rest of my life. Maybe that's excessive, but I don't much care. Jim Kelly has always been the Bills to me, and he always will be. So when the Bills are struggling through another 5-11 tragedy this year, at least I can look down at that jersey and remember the days when Ralph Wilson Stadium was Rich Stadium, when December games were about securing home field advantage if not the division, and a trip to the Super Bowl was just a few wins away.

And when the Bills finally do win the Super Bowl, I'll be proud to be celebrating in a Jim Kelly jersey. Hopefully he'll be watching it too, in good health. But if he's not, I'll at least be able to remember him in that moment, because he deserves that too, as much as any of us fans.

Just like all of you, the Bills are a part of my life. As a cancer survivor, cancer is part of my life.

I'm proud to call Jim Kelly my hero.

Edited by JohnnyGold

For those of us blessed enough to sit and talk with the guy at all, to meet him, to watch him play live and cheer for him. For those of us that we have read and watched his entire story with Hunter, Jill etc played out, for those of us that he has a special place in our hearts... Jim Kelly will never die. For years now my wife and kids know I am to be buried in two things.... My kilt (Scottish Heritage) and My Signed Jim Kelly Jersey.

i know - why not Roswell??

True. They have a decent Head and Neck team.

If positive, the risk for male breast cancer is higher. Also, a positive male can pass the gene to his child.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I have heard more than one oncologist say that, assuming it's caught in time, it's easier to eliminate an aggressively growing cancer than a slow growing cancer.

Who knows what the future will hold, but some of you are reacting like you just read his obituary or something...

holygrainotdead.jpg

I have heard more than one oncologist say that, assuming it's caught in time, it's easier to eliminate an aggressively growing cancer than a slow growing cancer.

Who knows what the future will hold, but some of you are reacting like you just read his obituary or something...

holygrainotdead.jpg

Surgically, no. With adjuvant therapy (chemo, radiation), maybe--depending on the type of cancer.

Surgically, no. With adjuvant therapy (chemo, radiation), maybe--depending on the type of cancer.

Your post would carry much more gravitas if you knew what adjuvant therapy actually is. (Hint: it's neither radiation or chemo)

One thing comes to mind:

When I was growing up, I had a Jim Kelly home jersey--the "cheap" kind, with the numbers painted on. I could have cared less if it was cheap, to me it was priceless. I must have worn it 6 days a week, and the only reason I didn't wear it seven was because Saturday was laundry day. I wore and washed it so much the numbers peeled off. So I got another one the next year, because I just couldn't go without my Kelly jersey those days. The jersey probably cost around 50$ back then--which for a kid with a dad who had just been laid off was (I realize now) quite a bit of money. Eventually, the numbers peeled off that second jersey too. The name faded off the back, and that was the last jersey I ever owned--17 years ago.

Since then, I've debated many times about buying another jersey. 2 things have held me back. I'm a grown man now, married, with real life expenses like car payments and a mortgage. The thought of spending 75-100$ on a shirt with another mans name on the back--a man who is younger than me by a decade--seems extravagant at best and pathetic at worst. But even if I decided to buy a jersey, the more pressing issue has always been WHAT jersey to buy?

At one point I thought a Poz jersey would be nice. But seeing those around the stadium now just seems ridiculous. Will the same hold true for Alonso in 5 years? I hope not, but if history is any indication, we'll be seeing his name on the back of a Steelers jersey by 2018. Good thing I never got another QBs jersey--from Bledsoe to Edwards to Losman to Flutie to Manuel to Fitzpatrick. Each have had windows where they looked like they could be great... and some of them even were great for a few games... hell Manual might even become great eventually... but none of them transcend the field, transcend the team, or transcend the sport.

So, today I'm going to spend the 150$ to get the only jersey a Bills fan should ever own:

http://www.shopthebi...ntic-royal.aspx

The authentic version of the jersey I wore as a kid. And I'll wear this one every game day for the rest of my life. Maybe that's excessive, but I don't much care. Jim Kelly has always been the Bills to me, and he always will be. So when the Bills are struggling through another 5-11 tragedy this year, at least I can look down at that jersey and remember the days when Ralph Wilson Stadium was Rich Stadium, when December games were about securing home field advantage if not the division, and a trip to the Super Bowl was just a few wins away.

And when the Bills finally do win the Super Bowl, I'll be proud to be celebrating in a Jim Kelly jersey. Hopefully he'll be watching it too, in good health. But if he's not, I'll at least be able to remember him in that moment, because he deserves that too, as much as any of us fans.

Just like all of you, the Bills are a part of my life. As a cancer survivor, cancer is part of my life.

I'm proud to call Jim Kelly my hero.

And there you have it folks. The best post I've ever seen on this website. That's awesome man.