Why draft a LOT to play ROT?

simple question to ask: If, God forbid, cordy gets hurt, what do the bills do? if the answer is 'we hope that hairston is healthy or try pears', does that inspire any confidence?

i say, bpa. if matthews, once considered a top 3 pick, falls to nine that would be fantastic. if not, evans or ebron would be alright.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simple question to ask: If, God forbid, cordy gets hurt, what do the bills do? if the answer is 'we hope that hairston is healthy or try pears', does that inspire any confidence?

i say, bpa. if matthews, once considered a top 3 pick, falls to nine that would be fantastic. if not, evans or ebron would be alright.

Thats the thing which may or may not add value. Matthews and Robinson you have a player who can move over if need and be solid.

Where o where is Hairstons health report ?

Great point!

Another is, what if Eric Wood gets hurt! After all the guy did go on IR every year for his first four years, and remember the drop off when he got hurt in 2011, a 7 game slide into the toilet after a 5-2 start? Last year was the first in 5 seasons that he played in all 16 games. Considering that the bills ran up the middle 71% of the time last year, and I think his loss would be just as great as Glenn's.

Hey, I'm all for building an O line with superior talent. I just don't see it happening with this regime.

Was he in charge making the picks for the Steelers? There is also some question as to if he made all the selections for the Buffalo Bills last year too.

I'm going by the disdain I see this team has for high quality O linemen over the last 12 years, and recently. Let's not forget what players Whaley tried to replace the Bills best pass blocker (Andy Levitre) on that line when he left in free agency in Colin Brown, and Sam Young. That and the fact that after Nix had left the GM position and Whaley was promoted he then signed Doug Legursky to be the backup center. A player who graded as the very worst linemen on a bad Steelers O line.

From PFF on Legursky over his years with the Steelers "Legursky has a ghastly -36.4 grade in part-time duty over the past three seasons." So, Whaley knew what he was getting when he signed him him.https://www.profootb...uffalo-bills-2/

Fast forward to this off season. and the bills signed OG Chris Williams from the Rams. Dud: He may be a former first-rounder but Chris Williams (-21.8) is just a liability as a lineman. Far too much pressure, not enough good run blocking, and he’s the team’s weak link on offense. https://www.profootb...uffalo-bills-2/

From my view this franchise simply doesn't put a high value on their O linemen. Hence my reasoning as to why the Bills will not take an OT in the first round this years draft.

Was Telesco in charge of the picks with the Colts? No. Is his method with the Chargers almost exactly the same as the Polian regime under which he learned? Yes. I have no idea if they will take an OT at 9 because I have not seen their draft board. But going by what previous FOs have done, or who they acquired so far in FA, using PFF which NFL FOs do not use, are not reliable predictalators.

I also don't trust that PFF's interns know what all the OL assignments are.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Well, Chris Williams does have experience playing tackle. He could slide out to LT and someone fills in at LG. Not ideal but possible.

Was Telesco in charge of the picks with the Colts? No. Is his method with the Chargers almost exactly the same as the Polian regime under which he learned? Yes. I have no idea if they will take an OT at 9 because I have not seen their draft board. But going by what previous FOs have done, or who they acquired so far in FA, using PFF which NFL FOs do not use, are not reliable predictalators.

Heresy!

PFF is the one true source of all football wisdom...how dare you question it?!?!?!

Well, Chris Williams does have experience playing tackle. He could slide out to LT and someone fills in at LG. Not ideal but possible.

pretty much every report i've seen says that williams can barely hack it at guard. i'm being glass half full when i think that a year between two very good players and a coach which seems to like him could give williams the chance to be average. it's something else entirely if he's the one protecting ej's blind side

@FearTheLosing

i do think it would be a good idea to look at someone who could be a center in the draft. interior players tend to go later, so i would be all for getting someone who might step in/compete for lg and possibly slide over if wood gets hurt.

This makes sense. Whaley and 3 scouts did attend A&M's pro day where Manziel and Evans didn't participate. I'd imagine all eyes were on Matthews and rightfully so. The guy is going to play at a high level for the next 10 years for the team lucky enough to draft him.

He's by far the safest pick in the draft and more than likely BPA if he's available at 9. I'd be thrilled if we landed him.

me too. gotta have a killer O-line or we go nowhere.

Was Telesco in charge of the picks with the Colts? No. Is his method with the Chargers almost exactly the same as the Polian regime under which he learned? Yes. I have no idea if they will take an OT at 9 because I have not seen their draft board. But going by what previous FOs have done, or who they acquired so far in FA, using PFF which NFL FOs do not use, are not reliable predictors*.

C'mon man, for ten years this team didn't draft an OT in the early rounds. 2002-2012. very peculiar considering the team traded away it all pro LT before the 2009 draft, and didn't bother to replace him for three years. I suppose since Peters was a FA turned all pro LT it was only right to try and replace him with a 7th round pick in Bell.

Yea well, what did your eyes tell you about Colin Brown, Sam Young? Then with Legursky being a liability while at LG this year? You don't need to read PFF or Football outsiders to realize that Doug Legursky is an enormous downgrade from Eric Wood, or Andy Levitre.

Judging from other blogs, and posts Chris Williams is about on par with Legursky. Rotoworld ranks Williams as the 21st OG, as does Yahoo sports. Other sites don't even list him, and some have him as the 60th best O linemen, 4 slots better then Sam Young. Underwhelming to say the least. This team just doesn't value O linemen the way other teams do from what I see.

I don't agree. What do you suggest paying the guy, once he is past the rookie contract. $5-10M to play ROT, where the next highest ROT is going for $3.5M? There are 32 NFL teams that don't agree with your approach. A $4M offer? If he is a top 9 pick and one of the rare people who can play LOT well, he is out of here in a heartbeat.

If he pllays RT well for 3 years without playing LT hes not going to get paid elite money to play LT.

Edited by bobobonators

Worst case scenario: the guy performs well enough to play LT...the team would've gotten 5 years of excellent play from their RT...that's not a bad thing.

That said, I don't think there's any urgency to draft a RT at 9th overall...it's a deep class, and the RT position falls behind WR, TE, and LB in terms of need IMO.

Amen.

pretty much every report i've seen says that williams can barely hack it at guard. i'm being glass half full when i think that a year between two very good players and a coach which seems to like him could give williams the chance to be average. it's something else entirely if he's the one protecting ej's blind side

@FearTheLosing

i do think it would be a good idea to look at someone who could be a center in the draft. interior players tend to go later, so i would be all for getting someone who might step in/compete for lg and possibly slide over if wood gets hurt.

Same here, and I feel the same way. I was really hoping that this off season that Whaley would distance himself away from Buddy Nix's moronic views on O line players. Very disheartening to see the bills sign Williams as a starter.

The Bills need better depth then Doug Legursky or Chris Williams.

me too. gotta have a killer O-line or we go nowhere.

I would love for this team to draft Matthews at #9... I just don't see it.

Same here, and I feel the same way. I was really hoping that this off season that Whaley would distance himself away from Buddy Nix's moronic views on O line players. Very disheartening to see the bills sign Williams as a starter.

The Bills need better depth then Doug Legursky or Chris Williams.

I would love for this team to draft Matthews at #9... I just don't see it.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually watch Williams play last year?

I hated the signing at first too then I watched all of the Rams game from last year including All-22 and he wasn't as bad as people think.

Edited by Bangarang

I hated the signing at first too then I watched all of the Rams game from last year including All-22 and he wasn't as bad as people think.

This is nice to hear. While I'm apprehensive, I don't know if the Bills need Williams to be an absolute stud when he is between . I would be very happy if he winds up being "pretty good" and would be content if he was average after seeing Brown/Legursky last year.

Bills should trade down to 14 or 15 pick up an extra 2nd. Draft Dix, Williams or Ebron whomever is still there. If all gone, trade down again another 4 or 5 spots. Then go after a guy like Martin for RT. Use the 2 2nd round picks for TE and WR. 3rd and 4 round safety and LB.

Bills should trade down to 14 or 15 pick up an extra 2nd. Draft Dix, Williams or Ebron whomever is still there. If all gone, trade down again another 4 or 5 spots. Then go after a guy like Martin for RT. Use the 2 2nd round picks for TE and WR. 3rd and 4 round safety and LB.

I don't agree. What do you suggest paying the guy, once he is past the rookie contract. $5-10M to play ROT, where the next highest ROT is going for $3.5M? There are 32 NFL teams that don't agree with your approach. A $4M offer? If he is a top 9 pick and one of the rare people who can play LOT well, he is out of here in a heartbeat.

SO SO TRUE, This has been my thinking for a while now... If It were to work out financially, The best option would be to move Glenn to RT after this season and then try to give him a 5 year 30 mil extension and pray he takes it... Otherwise I see no way that it works

Personally dont like the idea of tackle anywhere near rd 1.. Why not rd 3?

Maryland Bills fan. I'm sure you had good points, but gave up after line 4 in the conversion to cursiff font.

As far as RT, Chris Brown made some nice editorials on NFL Radio earlier this week that given the passing happy league, it is almost as important to have a top RT. as it is a LT.

I can see the pick, only if the guy can be an immediate impact top flight RT. then maybe.

I did watch him some, and like the Bills own RG Kraig Urbik, he played well in some games. Like I said, he looked like Legursky, in that he could hold down the position to a degree.

Want a comparison?

Williams started all 16 games at left guard for the Rams last year, allowing five sacks, eight quarterback hits and 28 quarterback hurries.

Doug Legursky and Colin Brown shared duty through the year, combining to allow three sacks, 11 quarterback hits and 31 hurries.

The difference between an elite player and a "sometimes" solid player is when those big games on going on the elite players step up, and the "sometimes" solid players fall on their faces. Anyone else remember what that Bills O line looked like against the Saints, the Steelers, the Bucs, and the first game against the Jets, the last game against the Patriots?

Sports Illustrated did a review of the Williams signing,

"Grade: D. Williams has never lived up to his athletic potential, though that’s partially due to the sub-par coaching he received in Chicago. He gets pushed around too easily at any line position, and he’s not consistent when asked to stop pass-rushers at the point of attack. The Rams line was a mixed bag last season, and Williams was at least a bastion of consistency, but not much more. If the Bills are serious about competing in the AFC East sooner than later, they’ll need to develop Williams in ways other coaches have not been able to."

http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/12/chris-williams-deal-buffalo-bills/

Now, judging by the way this coaching staff was able to coach up Colin Brown and Sam Young...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/120269/bills-taking-odd-risk-in-signing-williams

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4722/chris-williams

In 2010 Buddy Nix brought in- RT Cornell Green at 2 mill per, a player who was also cut after week six....sound familiar? This team has its own unique way of evaluating O line free agents.

I don't think there is a debate if Matthews or Robinson is there at 9. But it's not likely. This becomes the question. It's not simply do we or do we not draft an OT.

There is a falloff of talent after those two that makes you look at the value of Lewan and players at other positions.