Byrd = $12.3 M cash, our 5 new FA signings = $17.775 M cash

Estro

I'm assuming the Bills still use the "cash to cap" salary method, so when looking at the contracts signed this offseason I think the best way to breakdown the contract value is cash spent. Byrd will receive $12.3 million in cash for the 2014 season ($11 million signing bonus, $1.3 million salary). So what did our 5 outside FA signings cost the Bills in cash for the 2014 season? Here we go: Corey Graham = $5.55 million ($4 million signing bonus, $1.5 million salary, $50k workout bonus). Chris Williams = $5.025 million ($3.5 million signing bonus, $1.425 mill. base salary, $100k workout bonus). Brandon Spikes = $3.25 million ($900k signing bonus, $1.25 mill. base salary, $1.1 million workout/active roster bonuses). Keith Rivers = $2.35 million ($1 mill. signing bonus, $1.25 mill. base salary, 100k workout bonus. Anthony Dixon = $1.6 million ($750k signing bonus, $800k base salary, $50k workout bonus). So, Total cash spent on new FA additions = $17.775 million.

By the way, every FA signed has a workout bonus, which is smart business by the Bills. Even the guys that have been extended recently (Aaron Williams, Dan Carpenter & Alan Branch) all have workout bonuses. Smart business by the Bills making sure guys are showing up to offseason workouts. Seems like common sense, but it's not something they've always done. Many signees also have incentive and snap % bonuses, another smart business move by the Bills. It builds competition and makes these guys hungry to get out on the field and earn it. If it's Whaley spearheading these type of bonuses he deserves props.

Edited by Estro

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not convinced Rivers will start or even make the team if they draft another LB and an UDFA comes out of nowhere. I don't want Moats or Bradham any longer but Lawson played well enough to start.

Also not convinced Carpeneter wins the kicking job.

Lastly Williams signing is routinely listed as one of the worst by a non-Oakland Raider team.

They would have been better off with Byrd (12.3), Graham (5.55), and Spikes(3.25). They could have addressed LG more cheaply or in the draft.

But at least there is hope and new faces. Maybe Williams is a very good LG playing between Glenn and Wood. Maybe Graham, Gilmore, McKelvin, Roby, and the oft injured kid from LSU make one hell of a set of DB's. And maybe Spikes at MLB and Kiko at OLB is the answer to the run defense.

Still not convinced there is a quality SS on the roster though...

Estro, what's the source of your info on the workout bonuses? That's info I haven't seen previously.

the best sources are rotoworld and sportrac.

just google the players name, the word "contract" and either rotoworld or sportrac.

Edited by papazoid

I'm assuming the Bills still use the "cash to cap" salary method, so when looking at the contracts signed this offseason I think the best way to breakdown the contract value is cash spent. Byrd will receive $12.3 million in cash for the 2014 season ($11 million signing bonus, $1.3 million salary). So what did our 5 outside FA signings cost the Bills in cash for the 2014 season? Here we go: Corey Graham = $5.55 million ($4 million signing bonus, $1.5 million salary, $50k workout bonus). Chris Williams = $5.025 million ($3.5 million signing bonus, $1.425 mill. base salary, $100k workout bonus). Brandon Spikes = $3.25 million ($900k signing bonus, $1.25 mill. base salary, $1.1 million workout/active roster bonuses). Keith Rivers = $2.35 million ($1 mill. signing bonus, $1.25 mill. base salary, 100k workout bonus. Anthony Dixon = $1.6 million ($750k signing bonus, $800k base salary, $50k workout bonus). So, Total cash spent on new FA additions = $17.775 million.

By the way, every FA signed has a workout bonus, which is smart business by the Bills. Even the guys that have been extended recently (Aaron Williams, Dan Carpenter & Alan Branch) all have workout bonuses. Smart business by the Bills making sure guys are showing up to offseason workouts. Seems like common sense, but it's not something they've always done. Many signees also have incentive and snap % bonuses, another smart business move by the Bills. It builds competition and makes these guys hungry to get out on the field and earn it. If it's Whaley spearheading these type of bonuses he deserves props.

absolutely the bills are still using internal controls over their available cash.

this whole thing doesn't factor in that spikes and rivers essentially replaces some of the cash that would have been used to pay moats and bradham, likely casualties. Williams replaces legursky etc...

it also doesn't mention the most important money factor, the 28 mil guaranteed money that byrd is getting.

Edited by papazoid

The Bills did not decide should I sign Byrd or a bunch if FAs. The Bills have enough cap room to sign Byrd AND a bunch of free agents. What does comparing the two numbers get you?

Signing Byrd would have put them around 3 million under the cap with Spiller, Dareus (if the don't activate the transition tag for his 5th year) and FJ with about 6 other non-essential players hitting FA next year. I know other teams spend to the cap and do fine with resigning players but I would prefer the Bills save that cap space with their track record.

And I really don't know what to expect with FJ once his contract is done. They may offer him another deal but I really can't see it being for more than 2 years.

Edited by The Wiz

Signing Byrd would have put them around 3 million under the cap with Spiller, Dareus (if the don't activate the transition tag for his 5th year) and FJ with about 6 other non-essential players hitting FA next year. I know other teams spend to the cap and do fine with resigning players but I would prefer the Bills save that cap space with their track record.

And I really don't know what to expect with FJ once his contract is done. They may offer him another deal but I really can't see it being for more than 2 years.

they currently have 15M in cap room - are you asserting that byrd's '14 cap number with the bills would have been 12M??? i don't follow

I'm with WSS, there is plenty of money to go around to sign free agents and extend dareus (which should be priority #1 right now!)

Edited by d_wag

Lost of dead money in Fitzpatrick and Anderson (about 10 million). Next year we could make a run at resigning Spiller and extending Gilmore.

spiller can void the last year of his contract (2015) so if they wait until next year to try to resign spiller he'll be gone absent the f-tag or a big overspend.

if they want him at a decent price now is the time to do it, not when he's knocking on free agencies door.

they currently have 15M in cap room - are you asserting that byrd's '14 cap number with the bills would have been 12M??? i don't follow

I'm with WSS, there is plenty of money to go around to sign free agents and extend dareus (which should be priority #1 right now!)

Yea you're right. I just went by his contract. His cap hit would have been 3.5 this year with 11 million in cap space so they could have signed him. I guess it depends on the contract structure because his cap hit next season is going to be 10 million which would have been close to my original statement.

Edited by The Wiz

I'm happy with the way FA worked out, but there was no reason to lose Byrd. He could have been kept for less than 9M and either be traded or play the season out. But, as Bills fans we have to settle. You can't have what you want, so instead we'll give you X, Y & Z. Settling hasn't done much for the team, has it?

Why does it always have to be A or B? Why can't I have both?

Lost of dead money in Fitzpatrick and Anderson (about 10 million). Next year we could make a run at resigning Spiller and extending Gilmore.

Plus a decent free agent.

Yes to Gilmore, no to Spiller. Spiller is turning 27 and can't stay on the field as is. No point in extending him.

We need to focus on Dareus.

The Bills did not decide should I sign Byrd or a bunch if FAs. The Bills have enough cap room to sign Byrd AND a bunch of free agents. What does comparing the two numbers get you?

And what is still being missed is the Bills could have offered the same money and Byrd leave. I am trying to figure out why Bills fans can't get the fact he didn't want to be here?

I'm happy with the way FA worked out, but there was no reason to lose Byrd. He could have been kept for less than 9M and either be traded or play the season out. But, as Bills fans we have to settle. You can't have what you want, so instead we'll give you X, Y & Z. Settling hasn't done much for the team, has it?

Why does it always have to be A or B? Why can't I have both?

I have not seen one analyst who believes that a safety is worth what Byrd got from NO. I think the Bills made him a fair offer and he chased the money in NO. Good for him, but I'm glad the Bills didn't pony up more to keep him. I like the guys they have signed. Good teams have depth and that is what the Bills have added. They look to be better against the run, which was a huge weakness. Williams will do fine at FS at the other guys are more than adequate at SS. Would love to have kept Byrd, but I don't believe his leaving creates a huge hole at safety. Edited by xsoldier54