Change in running philosophy that makes CJ expendable?

Two things: the Dixon signing and the inability of the Bills to get CJ into space last year.

It seems like Hackett can't or won't use CJ the way Chan did. Maybe it was an O-line issue that we are working on fixing?

Or maybe the Bills are going to a straight-ahead power running game with Dixon, Freddy and maybe a rookie like Brandon Oliver?

If so could we flip CJ for picks? Just throwing it out there.

PTR

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things: the Dixon signing and the inability of the Bills to get CJ into space last year.

It seems like Hackett can't or won't use CJ the way Chan did. Maybe it was an O-line issue that we are working on fixing?

Or maybe the Bills are going to a straight-ahead power running game with Dixon, Freddy and maybe a rookie like Brandon Oliver?

If so could we flip CJ for picks? Just throwing it out there.

PTR

Like I stated in the other thread, CJ doesn't seem to fit what Marrone wants to do. If we could get a 2nd for him it'd be a win, maybe draft someone like Carlos Hyde. I feel like this offense is made for a RB that punishes defenses.

Teams these days are being built to stop the pass, put a team out there that punishes them on the ground and you'll have an advantage. Seattle is a perfect example of this. Whaley and co. Are moving ahead of the curve

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Andre Williams, RB, Boston College

Projected Round: 4th

0:28 is power.

Definitely has power. I find it strange (not in a good or bad way) the way he runs for a RB. Most of the time you see shifty feet and shorter strides. He looks full stride as soon as he gets the ball.

I wouldn't mind it. We need another Williams on the team.

Edited by The Wiz

No. Spiller is insanely productive for the number of carries he gets. Dixon was signed merely to give the Bills a good ST player and goal line battering ram. If anything the bills want to cut down on the penetration the line allows when Spiller is in the game.

Everyone forgets spiller went for 1600 yards the season before. I am not in favor of letting him go anywhere.

He is a weapon when not hobbled by a high ankle sprain. I understand the power back sentiment, but will still love to have cj around as long as he wishes to stay.

Good coaches fit their scheme to their talent. It's why Pettine can come in here and help half the defense have career years by changing the scheme around, while Marrone/Hacket can come in and make even guys who were top league talents like Spiller look bad. What the Bills need is an OC who finds ways to use his players effectively not one one trades them because they "don't fit" into what he is trying to do.

I like Spiller. I like him a lot. People here absolutely ragged on him for his first two years until Freddy went down to injury. Last year he went into a new scheme, with a O-line that was worse than the year before and where everyone knew that the Bills were run first.

That said, I would not be at all shocked if the Bills want to start polishing a new guy in case they don't think they can keep him when he becomes a free agent. Considering how much they just spent, I have to wonder if the concern is justified.

Everyone forgets spiller went for 1600 yards the season before. I am not in favor of letting him go anywhere.

He is a weapon when not hobbled by a high ankle sprain. I understand the power back sentiment, but will still love to have cj around as long as he wishes to stay.

Not forgetting that at all, and not disparaging Spiller as a player. Just asking if the Bills are getting away from the offense that made Spiller so productive under Chan.

CJ will be a wait and see thing. There is no question that Marrone is an old school NFC power running game disciple. I think that CJ functions best as the 2 in a 1-2 punch kind of way. Fred does the most with the least help and can punish people some times. Perhaps CJ should be the change of pace back? Start the game with Fred and Dixon spelling him and introduce CJ as things begin to open up?

Not forgetting that at all, and not disparaging Spiller as a player. Just asking if the Bills are getting away from the offense that made Spiller so productive under Chan.

I don't blame RB's when 3/5ths [LG, RG, RT] of the O-line is below average.

they slightly fixed LG, now go get an OT at #9.

unfortunately, chan is/was a much better OC than Hackett.

I don't blame RB's when 3/5ths [LG, RG, RT] of the O-line is below average.

they slightly fixed LG, now go get an OT at #9.

unfortunately, chan is/was a much better OC than Hackett.

I'm with you there. The O-line has to improve to help the RB's whoever they are. It's probably the best thing to help EJ is getting the run game back to an effective level.