Browns to sign Whitner

Decent vs run....once playoffs come around you throw right towards whitners area and the wr's have a field day.

Not a big fan. Occasional big hit is fun but that's it jmo.

Thing that always bothered me with Donte is... he only tackles with his shoulders. Looks for the big hit. Never seems to wrap up consistently. I feel like he misses a lot of tackles this way.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Whitner capable of just keeping his mouth closed? How many guys are out broadcasting where they'll sign before the deal is even done?

I stopped following him on Twitter when he was still with the Bills... could not stand his tweets. Yesterday, they were talkimg about how he tweeted something like "Raise your hand if you think the refs were out to get me last year!" and then "22 hours...." when it was 22 hours from when he could sign somewhere else. I just think he always has a giant chip on his shoulder and it is kind of exhausting.

More importantly (and how has this not been brought up yet?)

The Bills ap said there were three suitors for Byrd:

Miami

Cleveland

and St. Louis

Now with Miami having signed Delmas, and the Browns (apparently) targeting Whitner,

that leaves the Buffalo Bills and St. Louis Rams as the only suitors for Byrd?

This was my first thought when I read the title of this thread.

Yes he does. Maybe while he is there he can get tased a few more time lol!! Either way, I hope Cleveland does sign him and pay him well. It's somehow refreshing to see a team with a front office that is dumber than ours.

http://deadspin.com/...s-birthday-bash

Not that it matters but this is the kind of things that keep you from being a truly great poster. Your crusades are over the top. Bringing up things from 5 years ago? The talk of how terrible Whitner is, yet he's started for one in a Super Bowl and made a pro bowl. We get it. You hated the pick. Whitner wasn't worth the #8 overall pick. But whether you will admit or not, he's had a very solid NFL career, better than Rolando McClain. This is petty.

Thing that always bothered me with Donte is... he only tackles with his shoulders. Looks for the big hit. Never seems to wrap up consistently. I feel like he misses a lot of tackles this way.

That happens all across the NFL. You aren't allowed to practice tackling and you get penalties if you tackle too hard. I agree Whitner does mess too many tackles going for the big hit but unfortunately, a lot of guys do.

I like Whitner as a player, I hated when he opened his mouth, I can see him being productive with Pettine. I think he will be used to blitz a lot.

He is a much better player than Searcy and Searcy was a very good blitzer last year.

He is a much better player than Searcy and Searcy was a very good blitzer last year.

I have just started re-watching the Bills 2013 season (glutton for punishment), and Searcy had some rough moments, no doubt, but I don't think he is as awful as I remembered him being. Made some plays, particularly early on when he had more playing time. Not that it means much, but he scored the Bills first TD of the season! I like the physical aspect of his game. He can hit. Never thought about it before, but he does remind me a bit of Whitner (who I never hated as much as everyone else) a bit.

Edited by Buftex

What are your thoughts on this? I can't decide if it is dumb (Schaub was horrid last year) or smart (Shanny Jr was his OC when he was good, they can take Watkins or Mack at 4 instead of a QB)...

Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot 10h

QB Matt Schaub is a "serious possibility'' for Cleveland Browns, would compete with Brian Hoyer, source says http://dlvr.it/56ZYXm

schaub had a handful of bad throws grouped in a small window. its amazing how quickly it ran him out of town. hes not a GREAT qb, but i think he could still be effective and if they dont like the qbs available in the top 5, that hed be a great option. Hoyer, Schaub, and a guy at the top of the second round could be a strong enough group to get them competitive for the wildcard and still have a long term guy.

I like Whitner as a player, I hated when he opened his mouth, I can see him being productive with Pettine. I think he will be used to blitz a lot.

We, as a fan base, are pretty hard on guys, especially first round draft picks. It has been said a million times, in reference to Whitner, it isn't his fault the Bills drafted him too high. These guys have egos that need to be stroked, and some don't do well when they are hated..it affects their play. We were on the verge of the same thing with Aaron Williams...now everybody loves him. Whitner may not have been the best, but I always liked the fact that he seemed to care a lot more about winning and losing than many of his teammates over the time he was here. He had a loud mouth, no doubt...but some guys just need that to motiviate themselves...the guy had a Bills logo tattood on his chest for crying-out loud!

Is Whitner capable of just keeping his mouth closed? How many guys are out broadcasting where they'll sign before the deal is even done?

remember his last deal he had already agreed to terms with cincy allegedly and i think had semi-announced it (tweeted "who-dey") before ducking out to san fran leaving many unhappy about how he handled his business.

schaub had a handful of bad throws grouped in a small window. its amazing how quickly it ran him out of town. hes not a GREAT qb, but i think he could still be effective and if they dont like the qbs available in the top 5, that hed be a great option. Hoyer, Schaub, and a guy at the top of the second round could be a strong enough group to get them competitive for the wildcard and still have a long term guy.

Schaub was really bad last year Saint...it was more than just a handful of bad throws in a small window. He couldn't hit anything, no matter how wide open a guy was... I am not saying he can't be servicable somewhere else, with a fresh start...but you gotta remember the expectations for the Texans, going into last season, were sky high...Schaub really was not up to the task. His teammates had no faith in him...it was just a toxic situation.

I have just started re-watching the Bills 2013 season (glutton for punishment), and Searcy had some rough moments, no doubt, but I don't think he is as awful as I remembered him being. Made some plays, particularly early on when he had more playing time. Not that it means much, but he scored the Bills first TD of the season! I like the physical aspect of his game. He can hit. Never thought about it before, but he does remind me a bit of Whitner (who I never hated as much as everyone else) a bit.

NFLN is doing the top 5 plays of the 2013 season for each team. Three of the five plays for the Bills involved Searcy (tip to Kiko for INT against Ravens, fumble recovery on Brady at the goal line and ran back for a TD, pick 6 against Jets). Not sure what that means if anything, but I was surprised.

Hoyer is not the answer, IMO. I don't think Schaub is either. They need to hit on a QB in this draft. If that is in the 2nd, they are taking their chances because this group is not great IMO.

By watching those games, do you get the impression that EJ's game is not so far from being very good? I saw the team reach the red zone a lot on those games but we only got 3 points, if EJ can get better there those points could be huge.

Schaub was really bad last year Saint...it was more than just a handful of bad throws in a small window. He couldn't hit anything, no matter how wide open a guy was... I am not saying he can't be servicable somewhere else, with a fresh start...but you gotta remember the expectations for the Texans, going into last season, were sky high...Schaub really was not up to the task. His teammates had no faith in him...it was just a toxic situation.

even going in and out of the lineup and the craziness of the year he was 61% completion percentage, qb rating of 73, QBR of 43. Im not arguing he was GOOD, but that having the 4-5 UGLY pick 6s in a month really skews what people think of him a lot more than it should, in my opinion.

We, as a fan base, are pretty hard on guys, especially first round draft picks. It has been said a million times, in reference to Whitner, it isn't his fault the Bills drafted him too high. These guys have egos that need to be stroked, and some don't do well when they are hated..it affects their play. We were on the verge of the same thing with Aaron Williams...now everybody loves him. Whitner may not have been the best, but I always liked the fact that he seemed to care a lot more about winning and losing than many of his teammates over the time he was here. He had a loud mouth, no doubt...but some guys just need that to motiviate themselves...the guy had a Bills logo tattood on his chest for crying-out loud!

I agree 100%

Whitner had the misfortune of being overdrafted and this fanbase hated for it. Besides Jauron cover2 was not the system for Whitner. The safeties were exposed on the second level because our sucktitude on the DL.

Hoyer is not the answer, IMO. I don't think Schaub is either. They need to hit on a QB in this draft. If that is in the 2nd, they are taking their chances because this group is not great IMO.

they might not find someone better at 4, honestly. we will see. they have hoyer who i dont think is a long term answer but could sneak a successful season on a good team, if they add a vet id say schaubs about as good as your getting and might hold the seat capably for a year....

its funny how we were idiots for taking EJ last year when it was so obvious this was going to rival the best groups EVER.