Run D

With FA upon us and seeing the Bills entertain visits from LBs, it got me thinking. We obviously made huge strides on defense last season but continue to struggle against the run. Why? We have three probowlers on the D-line, a DROY finalist at linebacker, and a solid FA LB signee in Lawson who was good at 'setting the edge'. Should we really have the 5th worst run D in the league because of the lack of a viable third linebacker? Just wonder if you guys thought there are other issues also at work...

Certainly there are other issues. I put the blame on our offense. If we were playing with the lead and keeping the defense fresh our run D stats would look a lot better.

I don't buy this whole "we sucked against the run" that gets thrown out there all the time. Truth is, the defense got much better after a rough start. They gave a up a couple of big runs that stood out later in the year (the early one in Tampa and the two against the falcons) but all in all they were a solid all-round group.

Fix the offense!

I don't buy this whole "we sucked against the run" that gets thrown out there all the time. Truth is, the defense got much better after a rough start. They gave a up a couple of big runs that stood out later in the year (the early one in Tampa and the two against the falcons) but all in all they were a solid all-round group.

Fix the offense!

Go see Records set by the Great and only....What was his name again, the fat tubolard that ran like Forrest Gump in the Pats game

The patsie killed us on the ground. Something was wrong in that game. Was that one where Dareus was benched? He hurt us by not being in there those two games.

I agree though, we fix our offense and it will help our run D better than anything we could do on D.

The patsie killed us on the ground. Something was wrong in that game. Was that one where Dareus was benched? He hurt us by not being in there those two games.

I agree though, we fix our offense and it will help our run D better than anything we could do on D.

yes, he was benched the first half of that game. ??? Started and Charles subbed him quickly to get burned a few times.

Pettine took the risks with aggressive line ups.

On occasion the one on one matchup within five yards from scrimmage were major blowouts . Often no one was behind the LBs When safety was down in the box. DB's couldnt rotate quick enough to the play or not reading (or calling it correctly ( Fair enough new D ) when a big run play took off against Buffalo the tackle was missed at the line.

I am leaning play calling and new D.

They did get better later in the year, and the stats can be deceiving .

Edited by 3rdand12

Fix the offense!

look what the pats did to us at the end of the season ...we were like swiss cheese

1. Kyle Williams is not good against the rum

2. Kiko is too small to play MLB and was awful against the run down the stretch

But as others have pointed out it's the offense that is the problem. It has been for over a decade. The offense can't stay on the field and build leads. The defense wears down and the opponent runs to burn clock.

But as others have pointed out it's the offense that is the problem. It has been for over a decade. The offense can't stay on the field and build leads. The defense wears down and the opponent runs to burn clock.

DING!!!

Sooooo...

The D is bad

Because the O is bad

Because the ST is bad

Hmmmm...

Maybe the team has just been bad

Turning a corner though.

Edited by BilLions

Dammit. I really really hate criticizing KW but you are right. Sometimes he just takes himself right out of the play. Kiko was drafted for the weak side, so a schematic shift for him will help. I hope that the Bills can find a DT that can 2 gap to replace KW soon. KW would make good trade bait before he starts to really fade. I don't see him maintaining his current level of performance past the next few seasons as it is. JMO given his size and aggressiveness.

Dammit. I really really hate criticizing KW but you are right. Sometimes he just takes himself right out of the play. Kiko was drafted for the weak side, so a schematic shift for him will help. I hope that the Bills can find a DT that can 2 gap to replace KW soon. KW would make good trade bait before he starts to really fade. I don't see him maintaining his current level of performance past the next few seasons as it is. JMO given his size and aggressiveness.

May I suggest one of Miami's cast-offs? Either Soliai or Starks.

Our outside linebackers suck and our D Line may be pro bowlers but they are not run stuffers. They are pass rushers.

Agree. And if we take a WR in the first when our LB's "suck" and our OL sucks.. ----->After taking two WR's early last year then we are just as stupid as everyone thinks we are. Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY