Am I the only one that thinks Aaron Williams could fill the void left

D521646

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember watching Byrd closely in the New Orleans game. He had been back playing for a few games from his holdout and he got absolutely shredded all day out there. Made no plays except getting to the ball too late and watching guys run by him into the endzone. We gave up over 300 yards and 5 td's that game and they should have had a 6th.

Atlanta wasn't much better. Byrd had zero impact. He has proven that his rookie year INT number was a fluke, averaging barely 3 picks a year since then.

He's an average FS like a lot of guys in the league only he's a team cancer for us now. Later dude.

Completely disagree. Aaron Williams had some game changing plays at FS last year. Our defense didn't get any better when Mr Selfish came back from his fake injury to play out his franchise tag. In fact, we got worse against the run.

Byrd is overrated. Definitely a good player, but we won't miss a step with him gone, just like last year. Im glad he's leaving, sick of him and eugene and their ridiculous ego's.

I touched on most of this above. Mostly bitterness that he is gone.

I partially think our run game suffered because we got exposed for the overly aggressive rush we had used so often. I have ti think the Bills know this and are going to go heavy after a MLB to pair with Kiko inside to create 3-4 looks, and 44's.

I remember watching Byrd closely in the New Orleans game. He had been back playing for a few games from his holdout and he got absolutely shredded all day out there. Made no plays except getting to the ball too late and watching guys run by him into the endzone. We gave up over 300 yards and 5 td's that game and they should have had a 6th.

Atlanta wasn't much better. Byrd had zero impact. He has proven that his rookie year INT number was a fluke, averaging barely 3 picks a year since then.

He's an average FS like a lot of guys in the league only he's a team cancer for us now. Later dude.

That game sticks out to me. If he had made a couple plays in that game, we would have gone into the Tampa game on a much different note and things could have been different. Not blaming him for the loss, but he is as accountable for the defensive lapses in that game as anyone.

Very good read on AW's potential role in Schwartz's D

Will Aaron Williams' role change if Jairus Byrd leaves? http://feedly.com/e/Ssujoov5 Good read via @yardsperpass

I don't necessarily disagree with anything here as AW has the athleticism that allows for a lot of scheme flexibility. Love the idea of getting him closer to the ball as well.

I don't put any stock into his analysis of the Jags game because every play he looks at lacks context. What was the game situation, what personnel groups were on the field for the Jags, etc.

I have to disagree with the concept of letting Byrd play center field because he prevents bad things from happening. Often he did. Many other times he didn't.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't necessarily disagree with anything here as AW has the athleticism that allows for a lot of scheme flexibility. Love the idea of getting him closer to the ball as well.

I don't put any stock into his analysis of the Jags game because every play he looks at lacks context. What was the game situation, what personnel groups were on the field for the Jags, etc.

I have to disagree with the concept of letting Byrd play center field because he prevents bad things from happening. Often he did. Many other times he didn't.

GO BILLS!!!

There are very few guys who can play single high safety and he is one of them. Pettine used him that way because he could and it allowed him to do so much more but you are right, it didn't always work.

that is like replacing Levitre with Colin Brown

No it isn't. You are comparing AW's competency at S to Colin Brown's competency at LG? Really? Brown graded out as one of the worst players in the league and was cut during the season. BTW Marrone said he wants to keep Searcy in the 3rd Safety role. Duke Williams will play in the other starting role unless they sign a vet who beats him out in camp - that's what I guess.

To me he showed enough last year that given the reins I think he could shine. We can use Searcy in the SS role.

Did miss something about AW play last year?

Tim-

What makes you think you are the only one?

This has been the assumption as soon as Williams was moved to safety

No it isn't. You are comparing AW's competency at S to Colin Brown's competency at LG? Really? Brown graded out as one of the worst players in the league and was cut during the season. BTW Marrone said he wants to keep Searcy in the 3rd Safety role. Duke Williams will play in the other starting role unless they sign a vet who beats him out in camp - that's what I guess.

I agree with you in regards to Brown/Levitre. But it's probably not that far off with Duke Williams.

I would hope there is some serious camp competition if the spot opens up. This role shouldn't be handed to any of the guys currently on the roster.

I agree with you in regards to Brown/Levitre. But it's probably not that far off with Duke Williams.

I would hope there is some serious camp competition if the spot opens up. This role shouldn't be handed to any of the guys currently on the roster.

Even Duke Williams at S compared to Brown at LG? How do we know he wouldn't be good, he was a rookie last year and only played ST. Of course he will compete for the job in camp. I'm confused.

Even Duke Williams at S compared to Brown at LG? How do we know he wouldn't be good, he was a rookie last year and only played ST. Of course he will compete for the job in camp. I'm confused.

You said "Duke Williams will play" unless a vet beats him in camp. It sounded like you think he's got it wrapped up. I just really hope there's some serious competition and not just 'camp bodies' that don't provide real competition.

That game sticks out to me. If he had made a couple plays in that game, we would have gone into the Tampa game on a much different note and things could have been different. Not blaming him for the loss, but he is as accountable for the defensive lapses in that game as anyone.

Easier to blame Jerry Hughes for HIS lack of DB skills vs. any of our actual DBs in that game. Then again, Brees has made better safeties than Byrd look silly.

GO BILLS!!!

I wonder if losing Byrd changes our 9th pick. I was hoping to retain Byrd but if we didn't, franchise tag him then trade him to the browns for their late 1st round pick. Love Byrd but not sure why we can't make a deal with all our cap room

God I hope not. Reaching for need vs. taking BPA bites you in the ass far more often than not,

GO BILLS!!!

Easier to blame Jerry Hughes for HIS lack of DB skills vs. any of our actual DBs in that game. Then again, Brees has made better safeties than Byrd look silly.

GO BILLS!!!

I was speaking of the ATL game. I don't blame Hughes for his lack of DB skills in the NO game, as he isn't a DB. I blame the scheme and play call.

You said "Duke Williams will play" unless a vet beats him in camp. It sounded like you think he's got it wrapped up. I just really hope there's some serious competition and not just 'camp bodies' that don't provide real competition.

No, I think he will play unless a vet beats him in camp. If I thought he had it all wrapped up, I would say he will play, period. He may have an edge in my mind because the Bills are reportedly very high on him, but that is far from saying I think he has it wrapped up.

I wonder if losing Byrd changes our 9th pick. I was hoping to retain Byrd but if we didn't, franchise tag him then trade him to the browns for their late 1st round pick. Love Byrd but not sure why we can't make a deal with all our cap room

no one was trading a first for Byrd

i do agree they should have tagged him though in hopes of trading him for something...at worst can always pull tag back later since we all know he wouldnt sign it until the last minute