Am I the only one that thinks Aaron Williams could fill the void left

D521646

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me he showed enough last year that given the reins I think he could shine. We can use Searcy in the SS role.

Did miss something about AW play last year?

Tim-

No, I think Aaron Williams could very well fill Byrd's shoes, I think a lot of us around here are quietly hoping he does. We don't want to splash it around the board too much in fear of any negative recourse in saying so, or upsetting the football gods in a way that ruins Aaron's career, but we're thinking it...

Dyke Williams could play LG better then Colin Brown

And in see my autocorrect typo. But I'm leaving it

Colin was bad.

Even Duke Williams at S compared to Brown at LG? How do we know he wouldn't be good, he was a rookie last year and only played ST. Of course he will compete for the job in camp. I'm confused.

Not sure how anyone feels they know anything about him as a safety. Scouting report said he was a solid prospect, but wasn't a Boy Scout, hurting his stock. The Williams' could do a fine job as starting tandem.

If Williams can stay healthy, I don't see any reason why he couldn't fill the void. At the end of the day, Byrd gave Williams credit for his interceptions this last season based on calls that Aaron made on the field. That alone should account for something. Williams himself had 4 interceptions and a forced fumble, which consequentially was identical to Byrd's production.

No, I think Aaron Williams could very well fill Byrd's shoes, I think a lot of us around here are quietly hoping he does. We don't want to splash it around the board too much in fear of any negative recourse in saying so, or upsetting the football gods in a way that ruins Aaron's career, but we're thinking it...

This is very very true . We really need to focus on the Olde rituals again. Only way to overcome the curse .

Homey knows .

Edited by 3rdand12

If Williams can stay healthy, I don't see any reason why he couldn't fill the void. At the end of the day, Byrd gave Williams credit for his interceptions this last season based on calls that Aaron made on the field. That alone should account for something. Williams himself had 4 interceptions and a forced fumble, which consequentially was identical to Byrd's production.

And he hits like a truck . Showed great play recognition and ball awareness last year.

Now fill the SS position for Schwartzies defense. Searcy in the box.

and ,,, Duke Wiilams as the starter ?

Yeah well, not to burst anyone's bubble here, but let's be honest scheme or no scheme (As if to suggest AW can't learn Byrd's position and that somehow Byrd is a better pass defender) I admit I think the Bills FO and Whaley made the right call here. The price tag was too high for the relative difference the Bills would receive having AW take over Byrd's position. Searcy had another year under his belt, and Meeks watched and learned. I think we're not nearly as bad as the doom and gloomer out there.

Tim-

The relative difference being night and day.

And he hits like a truck . Showed great play recognition and ball awareness last year.

Now fill the SS position for Schwartzies defense. Searcy in the box.

and ,,, Duke Wiilams as the starter ?

As others have pointed out, I'd have no problem trying to maximize Williams' superior athleticism by playing him closer to the ball as a SS.

But the OP's premise was can AW replace Byrd at FS and seeing how he did just that last year and did it quite well before Byrd came back, I believe William could excel at FS. I believe he could become a Pro Bowler behind our front.

GO BILLS!!!

I think A Williams IS The FreeSafety and we need to sort out the SS part of the equation . I have said we already may have the answer in hand with the Cowboy Williams . I have said it all year . well kinda.

He got his confidence under Pettine / Henderson and it showed. I noticed anyways.

I dont miss Byrd any more. but i wish him well

Not sure how anyone feels they know anything about him as a safety. Scouting report said he was a solid prospect, but wasn't a Boy Scout, hurting his stock. The Williams' could do a fine job as starting tandem.

I live in Reno and have watched Duke play. He was absolutely a baller. Granted, he didn't really play against top schools, but he's got the instincts and attitude.

at a boy! :thumbsup:

After things have quieted down a bit. I have changed my mind and agree. A Williams will make a fine FS. Just not so warm n fuzzy bout filling the SS spot with an unproven player. Duke might b the answer but it is an unknown. B-lo needs to bring in a VET, mid level whatever,, something not worth breaking the bank on. This way the FO wont waste a pick in the draft, well an early pick anyways. We have much greater needs. The pass rush should help out for whoever it is!