Jimmy Graham

I would have no problem trading a single first round pick for Graham as you mention below. I would not give up two, as would be required for the non-exclusive tag. Yes, that pick you mention is an unknown commodity, but it could also be the next Bruce Smith or Jerry Rice. Two firsts is WAY too much for a TE.

Why do people keep saying its TWO first round picks? You are going to use one of those picks to draft a player in the draft anyway who is an unknown commodity. Giving that pick to NO for Graham is essentially saying we are drafting Jimmy Graham at #9 in the draft and giving up ONE first round pick to do so.

For instance, instead of taking Ebron at #9, an idea being thrown around here, and not knowing if he is any good or not at the next level (people already are saying he is not a complete TE and had more drops than he should have), we instead use the #9 pick on the greatest TE in the NFL by a mile and one of the top 5-10 offensive weapons in the league overall. So therefore, the only extra price is next years first, which with Graham on the roster has the potential to be bottom third of the round pick easily.

If we had say the 10th pick in the draft, and Jimmy Graham was there at #9, would anyone really have a problem trading up one spot to 9 to take him by simply just giving up next years pick? Seriously, thats a very fair price to pay for the 2nd biggest mismatch in the NFL behind only Calvin Johnson who also happens to be major upgrade on this roster and could have added quite a bit more wins as we had a lot of very close games where we could have used a guy like him near the redzone and opening up the field.

GO GET JIMMY GRAHAM RUSS!!! We become a VERY interesting team upon doing so as this team is close between the D and the other offensive weapons!

Why do people keep saying its TWO first round picks? You are going to use one of those picks to draft a player in the draft anyway who is an unknown commodity. Giving that pick to NO for Graham is essentially saying we are drafting Jimmy Graham at #9 in the draft and giving up ONE first round pick to do so.

For instance, instead of taking Ebron at #9, an idea being thrown around here, and not knowing if he is any good or not at the next level (people already are saying he is not a complete TE and had more drops than he should have), we instead use the #9 pick on the greatest TE in the NFL by a mile and one of the top 5-10 offensive weapons in the league overall. So therefore, the only extra price is next years first, which with Graham on the roster has the potential to be bottom third of the round pick easily.

If we had say the 10th pick in the draft, and Jimmy Graham was there at #9, would anyone really have a problem trading up one spot to 9 to take him by simply just giving up next years pick? Seriously, thats a very fair price to pay for the 2nd biggest mismatch in the NFL behind only Calvin Johnson who also happens to be major upgrade on this roster and could have added quite a bit more wins as we had a lot of very close games where we could have used a guy like him near the redzone and opening up the field.

GO GET JIMMY GRAHAM RUSS!!! We become a VERY interesting team upon doing so as this team is close between the D and the other offensive weapons!

There's a good chance that Graham performs well for us. But there is no guarantee, so in the end, it's still a risk to trade one first for him. Then you double up that risk by trading two firsts for him. That's all ignoring the fact that our QB has trust issues when it comes to throwing the ball. Will EJ throw the ball to Graham when he isn't open *right now*, or will he learn to trust that Graham will get open by the time he gets to the spot that EJ throws the ball to?

Personally, I think it's too risky at the moment.

There's a good chance that Graham performs well for us. But there is no guarantee, so in the end, it's still a risk to trade one first for him. Then you double up that risk by trading two firsts for him. That's all ignoring the fact that our QB has trust issues when it comes to throwing the ball. Will EJ throw the ball to Graham when he isn't open *right now*, or will he learn to trust that Graham will get open by the time he gets to the spot that EJ throws the ball to?

and graham isnt without fault - hes a great player no doubt, but hes been a less than great blocker, and probably due to his injuries last year was neutralized in a lot of big moments. being a guy that takes huge hits you also have to wonder if his career arc turns towards a jeremy shockey instead of tony gonalez.

Ok...lets pose two questions:

1. We have the 9th pick in the draft...The NFL grants Jimmy Graham to re enter the draft this year rather than FA. We are now on the clock, do you pick Jimmy at 9 knowing he is the best TE in the NFL and one of the top 5 offensive weapons in the NFL or take a rookie at some other position?

2. Same scenario above, except we are sitting at 9 and Jimmy is there with the 8th pick and someone else is about to trade up to get him. Would you trade up to 8 by simply swapping picks and giving up the first round pick next year?

I say yes to both :)

Ok...lets pose two questions:

1. We have the 9th pick in the draft...The NFL grants Jimmy Graham to re enter the draft this year rather than FA. We are now on the clock, do you pick Jimmy at 9 knowing he is the best TE in the NFL and one of the top 5 offensive weapons in the NFL or take a rookie at some other position?

2. Same scenario above, except we are sitting at 9 and Jimmy is there with the 8th pick and someone else is about to trade up to get him. Would you trade up to 8 by simply swapping picks and giving up the first round pick next year?

I say yes to both :)

I get why folks won't want to do it but I love Jimmy Graham and think he's a difference maker. I'd totally do it.

Have you been a Bills fan long? Risks are what is NECESSARY at this point, having the longest playoff drought (14 years, 2009) is a jokeshow.

I'm not saying we jump on this....the idea of Mack falling to #9 and/or retaining all our picks for a few of Marrone's gems (#TheLegendOfKikoAlonso) has me salivating....

BUT

The thought of having far and above the best TE & Top 5 WR in the league, paired with our young QB & offense, seems justifiable. Based on last year's drafted receivers, we have speedy vertical threats (Goodwin, Woods, Graham) and simply don't have a reliable middle of the field monster for EJ to drop the ball to.

It would be nice to see Graham & Gronk compete twice a year, as well as the fact that it's a proven offensive stud for 2 (possible) 1st round "projects". I get that any rookie can become the next (insert Hall-of-Famer here)....but wouldn't you rather have someone who's ALREADY proven to be the best at their position?

While it's unlikely to happen, it's at least worthy of conversation with a team that hasn't had a relevant TE for....FO-EV-ER

Edited by Flutie7Flakes

Have you been a Bills fan long? Risks are what is NECESSARY at this point, having the longest playoff drought (14 years, 2009) is a jokeshow.

I'm not saying we jump on this....the idea of Mack falling to #9 and/or retaining all our picks for a few of Marrone's gems (#TheLegendOfKikoAlonso) has me salivating....

BUT

The thought of having far and above the best TE & Top 5 WR in the league, paired with our young QB & offense, seems justifiable. Based on last year's drafted receivers, we have speedy vertical threats (Goodwin, Woods, Graham) and simply don't have a reliable middle of the field monster for EJ to drop the ball to.

It would be nice to see Graham & Gronk compete twice a year, as well as the fact that it's a proven offensive stud for 2 (possible) 1st round "projects". I get that any rookie can become the next (insert Hall-of-Famer here)....but wouldn't you rather have someone who's ALREADY proven to be the best at their position?

While it's unlikely to happen, it's at least worthy of conversation with a team that hasn't had a relevant TE for....FO-EV-ER

a scary prospect - the patriots are a team thats being rumored as possibly being willing to give up their picks as they are late round anyway and they may be going all in before brady and BB take off.

• 1 month later...

Recently heard that Saints placed NON-EXCLUSIVE Franchise Tag on Jimmy Graham.

This means that a team has to:

A) Work out an agreed contract with his agent &

B) Give up (2) First Round draft picks.

Why isn't this something we're discussing? It's been years since the Bills have had a solid TE threat (Riemersma? No idea who our best all-time is...), most teams having 2 better on-field TEs than our Starter!

To me, this seems downright silly that we're not at least discussing this....(2014 #9 pick & a 2016 or 2017 1st Rounder for the best TE in the NFL??). This would be a strong commitment to EJ & the offense, especially with the depth at OL in this year's draft class. Wouldn't mind seeing us commit if Mack is unavailable at #9, let Marrone's expertise in Offensive Lineman give us a solid contributor later on in the draft.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Latest draft day buzz has Buffalo "reaching" on Eric Ebron at #9 overall....how does the above scenario sound now?

Deal would be trading #9 to NO, another 1st rounder and a 2nd or 3rd for a deal (Graham agreeing) with the Bills. Someone tell me how much cap we might have to sign him?

Basically we trade Ebron or whoever we would draft this year, for the best TE in the NFL. AMIRITE?? :w00t:

Latest draft day buzz has Buffalo "reaching" on Eric Ebron at #9 overall....how does the above scenario sound now?

Deal would be trading #9 to NO, another 1st rounder and a 2nd or 3rd for a deal (Graham agreeing) with the Bills. Someone tell me how much cap we might have to sign him?

Basically we trade Ebron or whoever we would draft this year, for the best TE in the NFL. AMIRITE?? :w00t:

His contract tho....

Wrong it is a great idea. This team needs a dynamic TE. The success rate of a first round pick is at best 50/50. Graham is a superstar. This team needs to win now. Not worry about a first round pick in 2015.

Glad you aren't the GM.

I think it is something you would have to consider if you are consider Ebron?! Right? You would have to consider it!

I don't know if I would. I see the value if you are going to take Ebron, but you lose next year's pick which could be needed for a QB. I hope not, but it could be.

I'm kinda with Alpha here. Graham is a stud and he could totally take EJ to another level. Basically, we are drafting Graham #9 and throwing a 1st round pick, that hopefully might be low. With no Byrd to pay, I could get behind this move. I LOVE Jimmy Graham.

I like this analysis. Depending on the cost however. Graham may want to be vastly overpaid and tie up a ton of cap space in future years. Also, another thing to consider is this: the Bills have built a pretty solid skilled player foundation, they can draft OL and DL/ILB's this year, and be a playoff contender with a good QB. If EJ does not pan out, the Bills may want to have picks to trade up and grab Marcus Mariota.