Buddy Nix to attend several pro days

Beerball

Measurables as in physical ability. You know what I’m talking about. Like I said, I like Wilson too and wanted the Bills to pick him, but every team passed on him two to three times because he doesn’t fit the scouting paradigm for a successful NFL QB. It’s not just Buddy Nix.

Easy for you to say when your job is not on the line. This is why every team in the league scouts the way they do. If Wilson was 6’2” he would have been a top 10 pick. He went in the third. Many teams were caught up on 5’10-11 and the history of that stature of QB in the NFL. Based on your judgment every team has neanderthals in charge because they all have things they will or won’t do at certain points in the draft. Wilson went in the third. How do you know Nix didn’t have him pegged as a fourth rounder and wouldn’t have taken him at that point? I expected Wilson to do well, but it wasn’t a guarantee.

First of all, -Yes it was.

Secondly, Chicken#$% does not win you anything in the modern NFL... You have to take chances if you want to improve. Wilson's been a special athlete since high school. Though, you could have thought it was a fluke when he led the ACC in passing yards at NC State. But once he transferred to the Big Ten, -won that conference, and set the single season record for touchdowns at Wiconsin, SOMEONE should have recognized the possibility of this guy being GREAT.

Remember Toronto 2012?

Luck played no part in that 50-17 offensive CLINIC put on by the 5'10" rookie we turned our noses up on. By his third rushing touchdown, it should have been clear that Buddy, Chan, or whoever was afraid to take him was dead wrong. -Sorry, but I don't want ANY of those people making decisions for us going forward.. IMWO, it's part of what keeps us a mediocre to bad football team. For me, the Russell Wilson thing is a DEAD HORSE. Repeating that mistake however, would be a true disgrace for OBD.

Edited by #34fan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is about what Buddy Nix is doing today for the Bills. Mention of his past successes and failures is to be expected. That this thread turned into a rehashing of a topic that was rehashed the time after it was rehashed which of course came after it was rehashed again. If y'all want to talk about Russel Wilson then feel free to start a thread. Let this one die for what it is. A story about what the guy is doing for the Bills today.

Every team has missed on draft day anyone look at Miami draft for 2013 ? The best player they drafted was a kicker who led the team in scoring...They blew the #3 pick which they traded up to get for a maybin 2.0, They have no true starters from the draft class...We had how many from this year ? Cant imagine what the fins forum looks ...

Every team has missed on draft day anyone look at Miami draft for 2013 ? The best player they drafted was a kicker who led the team in scoring...They blew the #3 pick which they traded up to get for a maybin 2.0, They have no true starters from the draft class...We had how many from this year ? Cant imagine what the fins forum looks ...

Yes, and when GMs produce drafts like Miami's in 2013, they get fired. In Buffalo, they are allowed to "retire".

I think he got fired for more than that.

Nah....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10259808/miami-dolphins-gm-jeff-ireland-part-ways

"The Dolphins described the move as a mutual parting of ways. However, Ireland was firmly in the hot seat after five consecutive non-winning seasons. Ireland committed more than $200 million in free agency, only to see the team finish 8-8 this season....Miami was outscored 39-7 during embarrassing, back-to-back losses to the Buffalo Bills and New York Jets to end its season. The losses knocked the Dolphins out of playoff contention."

@mikerodak

Buddy Nix on Michael Sam, via @TimesFreePress: "There's no way he'd beat out Jerry Hughes"

I'm not sure Sam is going to be able to beat out anybody for PT in the NFL...

Check out what Daniel Jeremiah said about Sam and prospects who have bunched sack numbers...He only had a full sack or better in 5 of 14 games last season...He had 3 games with 3 sacks each...That's 78% of his sack total in 3 games, and one of those games was against Arkansas St...To be honest I'm not sure how the kid won co-Defensive player of the year in the SEC...He had 8,5 sacks in 9 SEC games...That's good...But 6 of those 8.5 came in two games (Vandy and SC)...Sam did not record a sack in 5 SEC games, and had only 9 total tackles in those 5 games...He had a total of 28 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, no forced fumbles and 2 passes defended in SEC games...That's not a bad season, but it's really hard for me to believe that no other SEC player outside of C.J. Mosley had a better year Defensively in the SEC...Really hard for me to believe...

Sam is going to have a tough time making any NFL Roster if he can't contribute on Special Teams, and at the very least be a legit back-up at DE...He's WAY too slow and stiff in the hips to play OLB, even in a pure 3-4...He can't turn and run...To me it looked like he had two tree-trunks for legs the way he was moving in the Combine drills...I was less than impressed... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Check out what Daniel Jeremiah said about Sam and prospects who have bunched sack numbers...He only had a full sack or better in 5 of 14 games last season...He had 3 games with 3 sacks each...That's 78% of his sack total in 3 games, and one of those games was against Arkansas St...To be honest I'm not sure how the kid won co-Defensive player of the year in the SEC...He had 8,5 sacks in 9 SEC games...That's good...But 6 of those 8.5 came in two games (Vandy and SC)...Sam did not record a sack in 5 SEC games, and had only 9 total tackles in those 5 games...He had a total of 28 tackles, 11 tackles for loss, no forced fumbles and 2 passes defended in SEC games...That's not a bad season, but it's really hard for me to believe that no other SEC player outside of C.J. Mosley had a better year Defensively in the SEC...Really hard for me to believe...

Sam is going to have a tough time making any NFL Roster if he can't contribute on Special Teams, and at the very least be a legit back-up at DE...He's WAY too slow and stiff in the hips to play OLB, even in a pure 3-4...He can't turn and run...To me it looked he had two tree-trunks for legs the way he was moving in the Combine drills...I was less than impressed... B-)

I don't get it either. Those awards don't say a whole lot though IMO. I mainly follow the Big 10 and Borland was LB of the year but his numbers were dwarfed by Shazier's. They just had so many awards already to OSU that I think they were trying to spread the wealth around the teams. Edited by YoloinOhio

Sam is going to have a tough time making any NFL Roster if he can't contribute on Special Teams, and at the very least be a legit back-up at DE...He's WAY too slow and stiff in the hips to play OLB, even in a pure 3-4...He can't turn and run...To me it looked like he had two tree-trunks for legs the way he was moving in the Combine drills...I was less than impressed... B-)

Wow a few innuendos in those sentences!

If he didn't come out as Gay, i don't think he woudl even be on any teams radar, kid must have got a marketing degree?

Edited by stuckinny

Just like all 31 other teams didn't in picks 1-68.

What measurables, other than his 40 time? His drops? His fumbles?

If Buddy really thought, after watching all film available and otherwise "scouting" both players completely, that TJ Graham had more ultimate potential in the NFL than Wilson, than he's not a good scout or draft day performer.

Graham himself figured, before the draft that eh would be selected as a kick/punt returner. That's what he was prepared for.

TJ Graham is the clumsiest Buffalo Bill since JD Williams. I don't expect him to make the roster this August.

It’s not that he doesn’t see the value. He even said Russell was a good player. But scouts/organizations all have draft philosophies. Remember Whaley said last week that between two equal players he’s taking the bigger one? Nix has a similar philosophy. Also, remember Nix valued draft picks highly.

And the Bills draft philosophy regarding QB selection has been consistently terrible. Example E.J, from what I have read, is the same QB he was in college,

just more injuries.

Yes, and when GMs produce drafts like Miami's in 2013, they get fired. In Buffalo, they are allowed to "retire".

I've said enough over the last three years about Nix....still 6-10 with no baby says everything now.

By now most of you should realize just how loyal this owner is to the people that have shown loyalty to him.

It did take Buddy Nix to finally rid this franchise of the director of college scouting in Tom Modrak. I can only suppose that was the result of someone telling Nix that Cornell Green could play RT for 2 mill per back in 2010. Nix did bring along Doug Whaley to eventually replace him. Now I just wonder who told Whaley that LG Colin Brown could adequately replace Andy Levitre.

Anyway, I'm just happy as heck Nix is back to only scouting players. :thumbsup:

And the Bills draft philosophy regarding QB selection has been consistently terrible. Example E.J, from what I have read, is the same QB he was in college, just more injuries.

EJ went 12-2 his senior year at Florida, 3392 yards 23 TD's, 10 INTs. So I'd say he played last season nothing like he did in College at Florida.

Besides, 4-6 is not so bad for a rookie season considering his surrounding cast, bad O line, injured receiving corps. Joe Montana went 2-5 his first year. Peyton Manning went 3-13 his first year. Troy Aikman went 0-11 his first year.

The Bills knew EJ was raw, and needed development. That's why they signed Kevin Kolb. That piece of glass tripped over a mat and was injured in the off season, took one hit in pre season and was done for the year.

If anything, we Bills fans should be extremely upset the Bills didn't do a better job of building a strong O line to protect EJ, and the other rookie QB's 108 hits, 48 sacks is not acceptable.

Lets hope the new GM builds that line properly this off season to protect EJ, Lewis, Tuel or whomever is the starting Bills QB

"You can mold him into something really special. He's raw, but he's that piece of clay where you take him and you can turn him to what you want." -- Mike Mayock