Trading Byrd and draft scenario

Ludwig van

Draft scenario>>

Tag Byrd

Trade Byrd for a 2nd rd pick

Trade back a few spots in the 1st rd for an additional 2nd rd pick.

Draft the top safety in the 1st rd and still have 3 picks in the 2nd rd.

That's 4 picks in the 1st 64.

I love having Byrd here but he is a HUGE distraction and I would rather get a blue chipper that actually wants to be here..

Edited by Ludwig van

Using Cleveland for example, they pick 4th overall, Byrd is a great fit for Pettine's defense and Cleveland has two 4th rd picks and a 5th. It's not inconceivable for them to part with one of those picks to get a Safety of Byrd's stature. Just an idea.....

Byrd and the #9 for the #4 plus a 4th? Sorry but that seems a bit far fetched, Byrd might get a 2nd out of a team if the Bills are lucky but a move from 9 to 4 will take a lot more.

I suggested a 4th OR a 5th rd pick. As far as swapping the 1st rd picks, well that could be debated but it does fall into the category of in the eye of the beholder. If Pettine, or whoever for that matter, really wants or needs Byrd then who's to say what someone would pay?

I suggested a 4th OR a 5th rd pick. As far as swapping the 1st rd picks, well that could be debated but it does fall into the category of in the eye of the beholder. If Pettine, or whoever for that matter, really wants or needs Byrd then who's to say what someone would pay?

The difference between a 4th or 5th is minimal, I think we are off on our assumed trade. What do you propose?

Why would a draft pick "actually want to be here" any more than Byrd?

By rule draft picks must be where they are drafted and have no recourse. FAs also must stay where they are if tagged but can and do pitch a hissy fit if they want out.

Youngsters and particularly rooks must suck it up unless they are Elway.

I don't, I already did and we don't see eye to eye. No big deal, just trying to maximize this whole Byrd thing. Like what the OP stated earlier, this whole thing really is becoming one big distraction. Whatever they figure or work out I hope that they do it in the very near future because this whole thing is really starting to be a big pain in the @$$.

You realize a few of us on the board were asked to take the browns coaching job before they offered it to pettine. Pretty sure they force him to sit down and pee when he uses the facilities at the stadium too. I seriously doubt he'll have any say on trading the 4th overall pick.

Using the tag is not the distraction everyone makes it out to be. It is common business practice in the NFL. The only people who are getting restless and tired of the situation is us the fans. Ideally they have the Byrd situation dealt with before the draft but since they have A Williams ready to go they don't even need to draft a safety. They can just re-up Leonhard or some other veteran if they decide to trade Byrd on draft day or after the draft. Yes losing Byrd would suck in my opinion but I don' think it changes the draft strategy that much if at all. With or without Byrd the major holes are OLB, ILB, TE, LG, RT, WR in any order you want. Free agent signings of course will affect this list.

And please don't misinterpret this post as Byrd is not an important part of this team. He is an All-pro and worth top dollar to the Bills and at least 20 other teams. The Bills just happen to be ok at FS since A. Williams sucked at CB - the position he should be playing.

So you do realize we'd need to franchise Byrd first, right? Then have our trading partner work out a contract with him before he's traded. Two small details to an otherwise worthwhile plan.

Draft scenario

Trade Byrd for a 2nd round pick

Trade back a few spots in the 1st rd for an additional 2nd pick.

Draft the top safety and still have 3 picks in the 2nd rd.

I love having Byrd here but he is a HUGE distraction and I would rather get a blue chipper that actually wants to be here..

This how the Byrd situation plays out, 2 ways...

Tag him and we trade him

Or

Tag him, he sits out camp, half the season, plays well for a few games, fakes injury, Bills career over

Bills left in the dust with nothing!

Option b is likely a little exaggerated but I wouldn't expect him before mid August, and we could get a 3rd round comp pick if he gets the type of deal he wants (which a healthy season helps him get).

This how the Byrd situation plays out, 2 ways...

Tag him and we trade him

Or

Tag him, he sits out camp, half the season, plays well for a few games, fakes injury, Bills career over

Bills left in the dust with nothing!

I would be surprised if this happened, since the Bills can't tag him again after this season and he'll be able to sign anywhere for whatever he can get - meaning he'll want to have the best year of his career. Last year, he may have had legit PF, I don't know, but if as most seem to feel, he doesn't want to be here and he isn't traded before the season and wants the supreme payday (obviously) he will play balls to the wall. Missing camp wouldn't help as he needs to learn the new defense.

So lets be clear on this:

1) We have the money for Byrd, we do, this is not up for debate.

2) We would want a kings ransom to trade him this year. However that is not to say that it's not possible The Browns might be in play here. I'm not sure where I read it, someone possibly quoted the Bills as not wanting anything lower than the 35th pick for Byrd.

3) The Bills are not afraid to tag him a second time for the 8+ million. Even if he only plays 10 games.

IMO, there is a 70% chance at this point that Byrd is Tagged. As has been noted, one of the problems with the bills has been the change over at DC. Now, I doubt that Def Scheme would make any difference to Byrd's ability to play but i'm sure the Bills want to see that he can be as effective in the new scheme before shelling out the big bucks. He really is an Elite Player at his position. He does deserve to be paid as one. Does he need to be the top paid one? I can't really see that. I would say top 3 though. They should make him close to the highest paid Safety and make a few easy to obtain incentives based on his stats that would push him over the top. I don't see why this hasn't been discussed.

Draft scenario

Trade Byrd for a 2nd round pick

Trade back a few spots in the 1st rd for an additional 2nd pick.

Draft the top safety and still have 3 picks in the 2nd rd.

I would trade Byrd for a 2nd and then use that 2nd to trade up for Sammy Watkins

CBF