Unionizing In Tennessee

Tiberius

There are already Unions in Tennessee. There are Unions here in NC. We have a very strong Union in my county, actually. Whats your point? The union employees here in NC that I know for the majority are Conservative and/or Republican.

The greater point is simple. If they successfully unionize the state will be less appealing for major businesses to begin operations in Tennessee as Unions are useless and no longer relevant to ensuring employee safety and equal opportunity. VW is powerless against the Union and unfortunately for them they'll fall to the power of the Union. If they unionize they should just go ahead and shut that plant down.

Of course, VW is evil. They helped the Nazi's and are a foreign company. So, we should boycott them...unless you find the victims of WWII to be more hilarious then that of Benghazi. In that case, you should only buy VW...

I believe this is the part where someone drops the mic and says "boom."

Volkswagen workers in Chattanooga, Tenn., have rejected the United Auto Workers, shooting down the union’s hopes of securing a foothold at a foreign-owned auto plant in the South.'

The vote was 712 to 626, said the UAW, which blamed the loss on “politicians and outside special interest groups.”

The vote, announced late Friday night after three days of balloting, is a devastating loss for the UAW, whose membership has plummeted from a high of 1.5 million in 1979 to around 400,000 today. Outgoing UAW President Bob King had staked his legacy on organizing a Southern auto plant for the first time.

Suck it, unions. The party is over. Time to get a real job where you're accountable for your efforts.

De-lurking for a moment. Forgive me for I am on an iPad. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/14/united-auto-workers-union-stunned-by-devastating-defeat-in-tennessee/

Bad form I know, but here's an excerpt:

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — Workers at a Volkswagen factory in Tennessee have voted against union representation, a devastating loss that derails the United Auto Workers union’s effort to organize Southern factories.

The 712-626 vote released late Friday stunned many labor experts who expected a UAW win because Volkswagen tacitly endorsed the union and even allowed organizers into the Chattanooga factory to make sales pitches.

Yes... It's the Blaze. but it's an AP story.

VW wants a Works Council like it has in its German sites " These work councils are separate from the union and represent employees in discussions." “Under U.S. labor law, employees must set up a works council and a union would be required to do so, officials have said.”

United Auto Workers Union Stunned by Devastating Defeat in Tennessee.

“Workers at a Volkswagen factory in Tennessee have voted against union representation, a devastating loss that derails the United Auto Workers union’s effort to organize Southern factories.”

Judging by twitter, the UAW thought they had this one in the bag, which isn’t surprising given that VW wasn’t fighting them.

They underestimated how toxic their brand has become.

Or maybe it was this: “The rejection of a key Democratic Party ally occurred despite President Barack Obama’s personal support for the unionization drive.”

Speaking of toxic brands. . . .

As I understand it, it was a swipe at the German unions that fill most of their plants.

VW wants a Works Council like it has in its German sites " These work councils are separate from the union and represent employees in discussions." “Under U.S. labor law, employees must set up a works council and a union would be required to do so, officials have said.”

I guess I can sort of see those arguments, but it's like inviting a fox in the hen house because you have another fox in another hen house. Luckily for them, the workers saved them from themselves.

The NYT reports — without mentioning the comments President Obama made yesterday, behind closed doors, to Democratic lawmakers in Maryland:

Obama said everyone was in favor of the UAW representing Volkswagen
except for local politicians who "are more concerned about German shareholders than American workers"....

"This is like an alternate universe where everything is turned upside down"...

... said Cliff Hammond, a labor lawyer at Nemeth Law PC in Detroit, who represents management clients but previously worked at the Service Employees International Union. "Usually, companies fight" union drives, he added....
"This vote was essentially gift-wrapped for the union by Volkswagen"..

But more workers were persuaded to vote against the union by the UAW's past of bitter battles with management, costly labor contracts and complex work rules. "If the union comes in, we'll have a divided work force," said Cheryl Hawkins, 44, an assembly line worker with three sons.
"It will ruin what we have."

"I just don't trust them,"
said Danielle Brunner, 23, who has worked at the plant for nearly three years and makes about $20 an hour—about $5 an hour more than new hires at GM, Ford and Chrysler plants.

What exactly did you hope to win? Higher priced cars?

Speaking of high priced cars that aren't worth it, no congressional investigation into the latest GM recall?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/02/13/gm-recall-general-motors-canada_n_4780376.html

The company says six people have died in 22 crashes linked to the problem in Chevrolet Cobalts from the 2005 through 2007 model years, and Pontiac G5s from 2007.

You don't understand. Unions give workers better conditions so they can have better jobs that they don't have to be stuck with now that Obamacare has freed them from job lock!

I'm always amazed by people who think someone else getting more money for doing less work is going to somehow help their situation.