How do you help the defense and EJ at the same time?

bisonbrigade

If the Bills Draft OT Robinson or Mathews in the 1st Round and either 266 lb. Seferian-Jenkins or 277 lb. Troy Niklas at TE and run the damn ball. The Bills have two great backs and behind a monster line and TE, it will keep the defense off the field and EJ Manuel on the field. That would set up a killer play action passing game to hit Goodwin or Woods on deep passes.

Edited by bisonbrigade

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They actually ran a lot, but not well. And you can run with 8 in the box and dominate, who says you can't?. It also sets up play action passes to beat 8 men in the box. Look how the Teams that won in the Playoffs ran the ball, and the fancy passing teams lost.

Edited by bisonbrigade

Careful Bison. The masses on here don't believe in strong running games or defenses. Everyone pretty much believes if you pass the ball every single play of the game you will win. And clearly EJ is not good enough for that. So the only logical explanation is to draft a QB in every round this draft and have a battle royale in training camp.

Careful Bison. The masses on here don't believe in strong running games or defenses. Everyone pretty much believes if you pass the ball every single play of the game you will win. And clearly EJ is not good enough for that. So the only logical explanation is to draft a QB in every round this draft and have a battle royale in training camp.

I predict Jeff Tuel wins by running in at the last minute to help EJ and after they shake hands and EJ turns away from him, Tuel grabs a steel chair and it's curtains for EJ.

Draft will fill 3 spots in the prime picks (1-3). 1st - OT, 2nd - LB, 3rd - OG. FA signing of a TE, LB and CB. draft picks in the 4th and 5th -WR and RB. 6th and 7th will be special teams/depth types - DB and DL. The Bills need stay healthy and fill a few spots to make move t o h next level. I am not sure that they will bring in a QB to back up EJ. This is just a wild guess, since draft trades can occur. FA will speak volumes on how they are going to approach up grading the team.

They actually ran a lot, but not well. And you can run with 8 in the box and dominate, who says you can't?. It also sets up play action passes to beat 8 men in the box. Look how the Teams that won in the Playoffs ran the ball, and the fancy passing teams lost.

Really? I didn't see many teams that put 8 in the box at all during the playoffs. Actually, not one.

See cause the QB's in the playoffs all have the possibility of throwing for 350 yards if the defense lets them. EJ, against some of those same defenses, couldn't manage 300 once. Running and great defense may be the way to win a championship but a QB that defenses respect is the way to the playoffs.

I don't know about any other posters, but I would take every single 8-8(still in the hunt) and playoff QB for next season. Every single one. That's not an indictment on EJ, but it is what it is. Posters that want a top 5 defense with mediocre to bad QB production are at best looking at a 7-9 season. That's if EJ didn't improve. Which he might not.

And I'm only for drafting a QB if Manziel is there. If not, get some weapons/O-line. But like I said, if EJ doesn't improve and make some defenses fear him, the picks won't really matter.

Edited by FireChan

With teams running no huddle and trying to get more plays off I don't get the philosophy. I'm not sure the accuracy but the Bills ran the 3rd most plays for 60 minutes. So drafting a lineman may help them control the clock but thats not the philosophy of the staff http://www.teamranki.../plays-per-game .

Really? I didn't see many teams that put 8 in the box at all during the playoffs. Actually, not one.

See cause the QB's in the playoffs all have the possibility of throwing for 350 yards if the defense lets them. EJ, against some of those same defenses, couldn't manage 300 once. Running and great defense may be the way to win a championship but a QB that defenses respect is the way to the playoffs.

I don't know about any other posters, but I would take every single 8-8(still in the hunt) and playoff QB for next season. Every single one. That's not an indictment on EJ, but it is what it is. Posters that want a top 5 defense with mediocre to bad QB production are at best looking at a 7-9 season. That's if EJ didn't improve. Which he might not.

And I'm only for drafting a QB if Manziel is there. If not, get some weapons/O-line. But like I said, if EJ doesn't improve and make some defenses fear him, the picks won't really matter.

In the AFC playoffs I would've taken Rivers over Dalton and Luck over Smith in wildcard round. Manning over Rivers and Brady over Luck. Then Manning over Brady. So at least for the AFC the better QB won at least 5/6 as some would take Brady over Manning.

Edited by Section242

With teams running no huddle and trying to get more plays off I don't get the philosophy. I'm not sure the accuracy but the Bills ran the 3rd most plays for 60 minutes. So drafting a lineman may help them control the clock but thats not the philosophy of the staff http://www.teamranki.../plays-per-game .

In the AFC playoffs I would've taken Rivers over Dalton and Luck over Smith in wildcard round. Manning over Rivers and Brady over Luck. Then Manning over Brady. So at least for the AFC the better QB won at least 5/6 as some would take Brady over Manning.

That's not what I meant, but sure. Denver vs. Pats, the better team won. I just meant I'd take Rivers, Dalton, Big Ben, Tannehill, Smith, Newton, Wilson, Brees, Foles, Cutler, Rodgers, Kaep, Brady, Manning, Luck, Flacco as our starter next year. No question.

That's not what I meant, but sure. Denver vs. Pats, the better team won. I just meant I'd take Rivers, Dalton, Big Ben, Tannehill, Smith, Newton, Wilson, Brees, Foles, Cutler, Rodgers, Kaep, Brady, Manning, Luck, Flacco as our starter next year. No question.

I'd draft a QB every year til you get one. As for your list i'd take all those QB's and most others over Manuel. Now if the Bills had made the playoffs within the last few years guys like Dalton and Smith aren't good enough. I agree with you. The thing is it seems teams are willing to draft an OT, WR, CB if they take one high the year before and the guy can't play. The 9ers traded Jenkins after a year. Obviously multiple guys play at that position but to me teams are willing to wipe their hands of other positions before QB.

Hey, I like it.... other Bills fans thinking like me.

With a more dominate O line EJ wouldn't need to a be a Manning or Brady just yet, and game managing QB Alex Smith took the Chiefs to the playoffs, as the NFL 17th best QB.

Recall that Chiefs game where they didn't even score a TD on offense, as they won it with a defensive TD, and FG's.

Think how bad that O line was this season, as only center Eric Wood, and Cordy Glenn graded in the green in that last game against the Patriots. Like the OP states a dominate O line would not only help EJ keep from being the 4th most hit QB, the 5th most sacked. It would also help the run game, and help keep the defense fresh and off the field.

Isn't it the very smartest thing the Bills could to is play keep away from Tom Brady, and then when he finally gets the ball smack him in the mouth with that fresh defense.

Luck over Smith is based on press only. Luck stinks and the Colts won that game due to Andy Reid. Luck personally turned the ball over SEVEN times in TWO games.

The best way to help EJ and the defense given their penchant for running on first and second down early and often is to scrap the no-huddle approach as a full time weapon. The no-huddle in my opinion is best suited as a dynamic within the game. It offers little strategic advantage when the opposing team can bet the house that you will run the hurry-up the entire game regardless of the score, quarter, and down and distance. The Bills lost the T.O.P. battle by heavy margins early in games throughout the season. They would be better suited functioning in a more dynamic, clock-related offense that changes the pace of their attack on the natural flow of the game. Predictability is the achilles heel of any scheme in the NFL. If they want to run the football so much, which I completely agree with, then why not come out using the full play clock and smash em in the face without helping the opponent put immediate pressure on the defense so early? When you catch them in some mismatches then bang, start to pick up the pace. The hurry-up can be used in a much more dynamic and effective fashion than the Bills version. The Patriots are very effective at changing the pace of the offense throughout a game. Another concept is that you can't always run to setup the pass. Sometimes you have to pass to set up the run. Again, it all comes down to them running what amounts to Steve Fairchild's offense but faster. Faster at getting off the field. It didn't work then and it won't work now regardless of the fast pace. EJ also seems to have Trent Edwards disease. Against man coverage he can make a few plays. Against simple zone coverages, he hesitates and checks it down, or takes a sack.

Edited by RealityCheck

Hey, I like it.... other Bills fans thinking like me.

With a more dominate O line EJ wouldn't need to a be a Manning or Brady just yet, and game managing QB Alex Smith took the Chiefs to the playoffs, as the NFL 17th best QB.

Recall that Chiefs game where they didn't even score a TD on offense, as they won it with a defensive TD, and FG's.

Think how bad that O line was this season, as only center Eric Wood, and Cordy Glenn graded in the green in that last game against the Patriots. Like the OP states a dominate O line would not only help EJ keep from being the 4th most hit QB, the 5th most sacked. It would also help the run game, and help keep the defense fresh and off the field.

Isn't it the very smartest thing the Bills could to is play keep away from Tom Brady, and then when he finally gets the ball smack him in the mouth with that fresh defense.

Maybe the O-line wasn't "dominate", but it was not nearly as bad as many here are painting it.

Profootballfocus had them in the top half of the league: ahead of the pats, Steelers, Chiefs, Colts, and way ahead of the Ravens.....and Seattle.

It wasn't really the O-line, fellas...

to answer the OP, i say improve special teams. according to : http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2013 we rank 30th in average starting position after a kickoff. this translates to the league's worst starting drive position for our defense: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2013. amazingly, our defense allowed the fewest yards per drive in the league. what a defense!