Coaching Tree of Victory

Speedy G

With the new additions to the staff, it seems to be moving in the right direction. Lots of experience has been added. One thing comes to mind when it comes to the hierarchy. On the defensive side, with Schwartz having HC experience, do you think he will want to be a HC again? I would tend to think so. That being said, with the addition of Pepper Johnson as D line coach, and him stating that he'd like to be a DC someday. The front office could have a plan in place should Schwartz get a HC gig after next year. On the offensive side, there was talk that Hackett would make a good HC someday. If this offense takes off like we all hope it does, he may be making that jump sooner rather than later. With the addition of Jim Hoestler as Sr. Offensive assistant, none of us know exactly what that title means, but, he has been an OC in the past, as well as a WR coach. This too could be the FO having a plan in place in case a swell of massive success overwhelms this team and the inevitable happens, the purging of those who made it happen. I'm not saying I want any of the coaches to leave once the success starts, rather, if they're leaving, it means this team will be on it's way to become legendary and other teams I'll want a piece of that! Here's to planting deep roots with this Coaching tree and allowing those roots to take this team into the stratosphere and beyond! Just Sayin'.... Go Bills!!!

It had been over 20 years since a Bills coordinator became a head coach. 1 of our coordinators gets hired as the browns 16th choice and now all of our coordinators are going to be head coaches?

Mostly because this owner has hired a bunch of schulbs as HC's. He passed the reins to Brandon, and to his credit he and Marrone out did Buddy Nix by a bazillion miles on that DC hire of Pettine.

It had been over 20 years since a Bills coordinator became a head coach. 1 of our coordinators gets hired as the browns 16th choice and now all of our coordinators are going to be head coaches?

In that time span, how many of our head coaches went on to be a head coach at another team?

oh yeah there is that negative. You have to include that because the past ALWAYS dictates the future.

I think you missed the point of this....all I'm saying is that there is a lot more experience on this staff that has the potential to get us to the playoffs, and that when that happens, other teams may start to look at how and why and want a piece of that...just keep it positive dude...�� this had nothing to do with Pettine! More about what the FO has put together now and where it can be in a few years. If that success means promotions for the guys that make it happen then so be it!

Edited by Speedy G

If you examined just the small samples of All-22 breakdowns compiled by the WGR kid, you'd find how many missed offensive opportunities were due to poor scematics and execution. A lot of this was lazy route running, which resulted in the firing of Hilliard. Maybe the rookie coordinator's corrections fell on deaf ears each week, which led to friction... I don't know. I would have liked to hear from Hilliard before he left the complex, but that's allin the rear view.

Anyway, I digress... my point is that Hackett never seized control of his unit. What he and Marrone installed wasn't firing on all cylinders, and much of it appeared to be easily correctible. Pettine's grasp on the D far exceeded young Hackett's influence on the O, but that's no surprise - history's the best teacher. Pettine may have been ready to move on. Hackett still has a way to go. Until he gets results from his own squad, he can't be considered head coaching material.

With the new additions to the staff, it seems to be moving in the right direction. Lots of experience has been added. One thing comes to mind when it comes to the hierarchy. On the defensive side, with Schwartz having HC experience, do you think he will want to be a HC again? I would tend to think so. That being said, with the addition of Pepper Johnson as D line coach, and him stating that he'd like to be a DC someday. The front office could have a plan in place should Schwartz get a HC gig after next year. On the offensive side, there was talk that Hackett would make a good HC someday. If this offense takes off like we all hope it does, he may be making that jump sooner rather than later. With the addition of Jim Hoestler as Sr. Offensive assistant, none of us know exactly what that title means, but, he has been an OC in the past, as well as a WR coach. This too could be the FO having a plan in place in case a swell of massive success overwhelms this team and the inevitable happens, the purging of those who made it happen. I'm not saying I want any of the coaches to leave once the success starts, rather, if they're leaving, it means this team will be on it's way to become legendary and other teams I'll want a piece of that! Here's to planting deep roots with this Coaching tree and allowing those roots to take this team into the stratosphere and beyond! Just Sayin'.... Go Bills!!!

Good post.

Re Pepper, I think the whole reason he came here was to be in a position to replace Schwartz if Schwartz left for another gig. I think it's pretty likely that if Schwartz does well, he will get some serious consideration as a HC.

I noticed they are pairing up young coaches with older coaches with tons of experience. A diverse blend . But Bills looking like they are teaching team now with guys they have brought in the last two years. more so this year .

Spot on about Pepper. Lets hope his line dominates

oh yeah there is that negative. You have to include that because the past ALWAYS dictates the future.

Well, I'll settle for our head coach being moderately successful before we discuss how great his coordinators and position coaches will all go on to be. not saying he won't be, but we've got a long way to go still before we talk about Hackett being a head coach

If you examined just the small samples of All-22 breakdowns compiled by the WGR kid, you'd find how many missed offensive opportunities were due to poor scematics and execution. A lot of this was lazy route running, which resulted in the firing of Hilliard. Maybe the rookie coordinator's corrections fell on deaf ears each week, which led to friction... I don't know. I would have liked to hear from Hilliard before he left the complex, but that's allin the rear view.

Anyway, I digress... my point is that Hackett never seized control of his unit. What he and Marrone installed wasn't firing on all cylinders, and much of it appeared to be easily correctible. Pettine's grasp on the D far exceeded young Hackett's influence on the O, but that's no surprise - history's the best teacher. Pettine may have been ready to move on. Hackett still has a way to go. Until he gets results from his own squad, he can't be considered head coaching material.

I know Hackett isn't quite ready for a HC position, I was stating what I heard and read during the preseason based on his enthusiasm and the system he wants to put in place. That was severely put into question because he had to deal with a QB carousel and by him being the OC and QB coach. So we never really saw his ability as an OC. You're right about him not being worthy until his unit produces, and I for one would like him to stay on once they produce to keep the winning here! As far as WR coach, good observation as to why Hilliard was fired, thus the reason for bringing Rob Moore in, they've got a working relationship from their time in Syracuse. Moore has a better idea of what Hackett wants receivers to do, I like the hire !!

Good post.

Re Pepper, I think the whole reason he came here was to be in a position to replace Schwartz if Schwartz left for another gig. I think it's pretty likely that if Schwartz does well, he will get some serious consideration as a HC.

Why not just hire Pepper as the DC then? Schwartz is hardly a star at DC.

Anyway, this topic has been covered in another thread. I think all other owners saw enough of Schwatrz's mismanagement of the Lions to preclude them from offering him a HC job.

The notion that the Bills DC job is the NFL's new HC factory is a bit much---and the title of this thread is at least a bit ironic.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I noticed they are pairing up young coaches with older coaches with tons of experience. A diverse blend . But Bills looking like they are teaching team now with guys they have brought in the last two years. more so this year .

Spot on about Pepper. Lets hope his line dominates

Ya I agree, I'm loving the coaches for this coming year.

Where was the talk that hackett will be a good HC one day? We dont even know if he'll make a good OC.

Where was the talk that hackett will be a good HC one day? We dont even know if he'll make a good OC.

You're right about that...it was some talk that I heard in the beginning of the season...and until he proves It, he's worthless to this team! This year will tell us a lot about his ability or lack there of! I'm hoping he can take it to the next level, not for his sake, but for the Buffalo Bills organization and all of us loyal fans.