Latest from Kiper & McShay

Beerball

Bills need a better Offensive line rather than a upgraded WR corps. EJ needs to have a line he can rely on to throw and the RBs need a line who can blow open holes in the defense. OT is a better pick at 9. WR can be picked up in the later rounds.

McShay even acknowledges the Bills has more pressing needs. This why he is not a GM. You don't go for luxury when you have pressing needs. The Bills played this game once when they drafted an injured Willis McGahee when the next pick was Dallas Clark. Clark could have been the TE the Bill needed for he past decade.

Man 0 man, this is thinking way to logically.... as the Bills fans want what the heart wants.

Gotta have another WR because 3 drafted out of the top 3 picks the last two years isn't enough! Gotta have a LBer because the Bills need to have 10 of 11 drafted in the first two rounds on defense instead of only 9.

The Bills don't need to build that O line early, as they can spend 7th round draft picks on those bums.

Just because in last draft other teams drafted the #1, #2, #4 players in last years draft to play RT, and the #7 & #10 picks were on OG's. That doesn't mean the Bills will totally waste that #9 on a lousy RT. <_<

Don't be shocked if this team drafts a RB or DB with that #9

Edited by FeartheLosing

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is a slightly more athletic SJ/ Woods really worth the #9 pick? also, it's one thing to outclass ACC cbs, it's another to do it to NFL ones. I think Watkins is a good player but I don't think he is exactly what this team needs or is effort of an upgrade over the players we have.

For me, it's between Mike Evans and Ebron. Both guys are physically mismatches. When's the last time the Bills had a matchup problem on offense? Evans will depend on what the teams think about his route running. But it would be nice to just have a guy who can just physically beat a CB or S.

Ebron is a great talent but based on Marrone's offense, I can't see him being used to his full potential. He would kind of be wasted here, so to speak, based on what I have seen from Marrone and Hackett and of Ebron. I think Sefarian-Jenkins would be a better fit for this system. They can get him in the 2nd, probably. Edited by YoloinOhio

Looking for O line,

LB, and a

physical WR and/or TE who can 'go get it!'

we have to protect the QB and give him more diversified targets, while getting stronger and quicker in our run game.

Our D can use a strong LB that can fill gaps

We have the draft and FA to complement the roster, and I doubt Whaley will waste time trying to duplicate skill sets.

Man 0 man, this is thinking way to logically.... as the Bills fans want what the heart wants.

Gotta have another WR because 3 drafted out of the top 3 picks the last two years isn't enough! Gotta have a LBer because the Bills need to have 10 of 11 drafted in the first two rounds on defense instead of only 9.

The Bills don't need to build that O line early, as they can spend 7th round draft picks on those bums.

Just because in last draft other teams drafted the #1, #2, #4 players in last years draft to play RT, and the #7 & #10 picks were on OG's. That doesn't mean the Bills will totally waste that #9 on a lousy RT. <_<

Don't be shocked if this team drafts a RB or DB with that #9

It's about value and the depth of the class. Does it make that much of a difference if you get Tiny Richardson or even Cyrus Kuonjado (sp) in round 2 to play RT instead of Jake Marthews? The difference between those guys and the difference between Mack and Shazier (and I am an OSU fan) is much less IMO. The same goes for the difference in Watkins to Landry or whoever you would be looking at in rd. 2. That is kind of the point. I would much rather Watkins and Tiny Richardson than Matthews and Landry. It is not about the positions it is about the players.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

If Watkins falls to 9 they will be in prime trading position just like they were last year with Austin. San Francisco needs a WR and has a boatload of picks to offer in a trade. I'd trade down here and use the extra picks to grab a bigger WR later on, as well as a LB and a Guard.

Thats a damned good point.

But man id be torn up over letting him go .

i am trying to stay firm in the belief of drafting down if the right phone number is calling Whaley

I agree completely. Wakins is 6'1 205. We'll see what the combine results are, but I'd bet he runs in the 4.3's if not 4.2's. Vertical jump, probably 37-42 inches IMO. He's a world class athlete that not only burn by people, but jump over them while tracking the ball. If he's there, its a no brainer that he's the pick IMO. He's a fierce competitor and the kind of locker room guy we need. That being said, he'll probably be off the board when pick. Robinson or matthews would be great. As would mack, mosely, ebron. I'm not very high on Lewan, Barr (for our system) or Evans. Trading down would be even better.

He produces measurables like that, he won't be there at 9.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he did run a 4.3--I just meant that the faster he times the higher he'll go given his body of work.

It's about value and the depth of the class. Does it make that much of a difference if you get Tiny Richardson or even Cyrus Kuonjado (sp) in round 2 to play RT instead of Jake Marthews? The difference between those guys and the difference between Mack and Shazier (and I am an OSU fan) is much less IMO. The same goes for the difference in Watkins to Landry or whoever you would be looking at in rd. 2. That is kind of the point. I would much rather Watkins and Tiny Richardson than Matthews and Landry. It is not about the positions it is about the players.

Yep.

Also, this team doesn't need huge upgrades on the OL--just a servicible LG and an above-average RT.

It's about value and the depth of the class. Does it make that much of a difference if you get Tiny Richardson or even Cyrus Kuonjado (sp) in round 2 to play RT instead of Jake Marthews? The difference between those guys and the difference between Mack and Shazier (and I am an OSU fan) is much greater IMO. The same goes for the difference in Watkins to Landry or whoever you would be looking at in rd. 2. That is kind of the point. I would much rather Watkins and Tiny Richardson than Matthews and Landry. It is not about the positions it is about the players.

"IF" a team knows how to evaluate talent properly then the difference is the difference between an average player and an all pro.

Anyway, the way teams have been placing huge needs on top O linemen recently leaves me thinking Kouandjio won't make it out of the first round, and will probably be a top 20 pick.

Look at last years draft, #1 OT, #2 OT, #4 OT, #7 OG, #10 OG, #19 OT, #20 OG, # 31 C. That's 5 O linemen taken in the top ten, and 2 were guards, and the rest all played right tackle last year.

"IF" a team knows how to evaluate talent properly then the difference is the difference between an average player and an all pro.

Anyway, the way teams have been placing huge needs on top O linemen recently leaves me thinking Kouandjio won't make it out of the first round, and will probably be a top 20 pick.

Look at last years draft, #1 OT, #2 OT, #4 OT, #7 OG, #10 OG, #19 OT, #20 OG, # 31 C. That's 5 O linemen taken in the top ten, and 2 were guards, and the rest all played right tackle last year.

All true but that was the strength of last year's class. It was not a skill player draft so the value was in OL and S. This draft has a lot more talent in the skill areas.

Kuoanjido probably does go in the 1st but it was an example of a guy that could slip (kind of like Glenn). Just trying to use examples that are t least somewhat realistic.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

All true but that was the strength of last year's class. It was not a skill player draft so the value was in OL and S. This draft has a lot more talent in the skill areas.

Kuoanjido probably does go in the 1st but it was an example of a guy that could slip (kind of like Glenn). Just trying to use examples that are t least somewhat realistic.

I also think that the overall talent level o this class is far superior to last year's.

Take guys like Fisher and Joeckel...I'd bet they'd both fall out of this year's top 9 in favor of Matthews and Robinson (and the skill position guys of course).

And there's almost no way guys like Cooper and Warmack go in the top 10 this year.

Edited by thebandit27

Assume we have to get up to #4 to get watkins, then a trade looks like this:

We get #4, #100(4th round), and #231(7th)

We give #9, #41(2nd), #137(5th), and #169(6th)

That's an even money trade, down to the penny, in terms of the DVC. See here: http://www.calculato...-pick-value.php

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he did run a 4.3--I just meant that the faster he times the higher he'll go given his body of work.

Yep.

Also, this team doesn't need huge upgrades on the OL--just a servicible LG and an above-average RT.

I disagree on the Oline. They have a void at LG, just decent at RG and nearing a void at RT. Throw in the fact that the Bills have an injury prone C and NO depth to speak of, I think the Oline is brutal and could be what's holding this team back.

I also think that the overall talent level o this class is far superior to last year's.

Take guys like Fisher and Joeckel...I'd bet they'd both fall out of this year's top 9 in favor of Matthews and Robinson (and the skill position guys of course).

And there's almost no way guys like Cooper and Warmack go in the top 10 this year.

So It IS This yearthat is a good opportunity to nail a long term RT ? Is that what you saying ?

Because thats what i want to hear :))

Edited by 3rdand12

Lots-0- talent for the O line this year too, and the QB's and O linemen are trending to be more in demand then any other positions it seems. As every team is looking for that franchise QB, and because teams trend to move around their best pass rushers the RT is more in demand then ever before. Road grading OG's if you want a power run game.

Four OT's Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Martin all could go in the top 12 picks, mostly because four QB's will be taken in the top 8 picks this year, or those OT's would go quicker IMO.

Then you have Kouandjio, Yankey, Swanson, Moses, and Richardson all could move up into the first round.

My take is teams are looking long and hard at the 49ers, and how they built that O line with 3 first round picks. The Seahawks with two first rounders, and a second rounder on their line.

Anyway, i highly doubt Watkins will be there at #9. Although Eric Ebron should be, and the Bills sure could use a Vernon Davis clone at TE. I wouldn't cry very much about that pick.

True...To an extent at least...I think especially true with Joeckel...And not because he was injured...But simply because I was not nearly as high on him as I was Fisher...Fisher is a beast and a brawler...,And I would take Fisher over any of the O-Line prospects this year outside of Robinson...I think Robinson is the best prospect O-Lineman to come out in the last two years by a bit...I would not be at all surprised if Robinson is the first non QB Drafted in 2014...I think if Robinson reaches his ceiling he'll be a perennial All Pro... B-)

True...To an extent at least...I think especially true with Joeckel...And not because he was injured...But simply because I was not nearly as high on him as I was Fisher...Fisher is a beast and a brawler...,And I would take Fisher over any of the O-Line prospects this year outside of Robinson...I think Robinson is the best prospect O-Lineman to come out in the last two years by a bit...I would not be at all surprised if Robinson is the first non QB Drafted in 2014...I think if Robinson reaches his ceiling he'll be a perennial All Pro... B-)

I only really watched Robinson closely in one game, and that was the NC game. He was GREAT, and against FSU, I have to assume that is NFL talent and plus, he plays against SEC defenses all season. So I have to say he would be betterm IMHO. I did read (although did not see with my own eyes) that there were guys who Matthews struggled against that Robinson simply dominated. So if the Bills do take a OT that high, I would feel he is the best at this point in time. I think there is a big gap between those two, and Lewan.