HOF Bills want Tasker in next

papazoid

Biscuit should have been a HOF'er but he was the Bills greatest underachiever. He never appeared to be as intense or as driven to achieve personal goals as a Bruce Smith and when the AFC presented itself with an opportunity to be had with a minimal effort, he only gave the effort he felt like giving from week to week. Full size LB's with 4.4 speed are rare in any era. He had immense talent but he didn't maximize his skills. He consistently took the path of least resistance.....the long way around.....to the QB and that cost him a whole lot of sacks and QB hits because never developed a pass rush repertoire. They eventually came around to the idea that they could get better results from lesser talented pass rushers who played with better technique and moved Biscuit inside and let him run to the ball and the numbers don't show a crazy spike because they put a lot of talent in front of him but he was a MUCH better player because of it. Losing him to Atlanta at that point was a blow. I love Spielman and what he brought during his short run here when they signed him to replace Cornelius but Biscuit in the middle made the Bills defense ridiculously dynamic.

Wowzers! I remember Bennett playing when he could barely raise his arms to shoulder level... he played injured a lot... I would never question his effort.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand Bills fans (and I know that, surprisingly, there are a lot of them out there) who don't think Marv should be in the HOF. I really hope you/they read my entire

post even though it is long.

First of all, if it weren't for Marv (who was a former ST coach and focused a lot of practice time and know how to Special Teams) Tasker wouldn't have been the player he was.

And as they always say, leadership starts at the top...if it is a major feat/accomplishment for a team to reach 4 Superbowls in a row, does the head man not get credit for that too?

Any of his players will tell you that his talks and quotes from other great leaders, poetry, or just straight up Marvisms were totally motivating to the team. He was like Vince Lombardi in

that sense (without the hardware of course). He helped build that family mentality and the perseverance that allowed that team to keep coming back and never give up. From most

accounts, Marv was right in there in the planning of the K-Gun, but even if he had nothing to do with it concept-wise, he still made the decision to run it and run with it. He allowed

his QB to call the plays. That was innovation.

But, I know, it always comes down to the Superbowls though doesn't it? First of all, if Norwood's kick is two feet to the left he would have a ring. But, ok that didn't happen...yet, they lost by

1 point to two HOF coaches (in Parcells and Belicheck) and the NYG defensive game plan for that game is actually in the HOF...acknowledging that it was one of the greatest game plans ever...and still

they only lost by 1 point. Superbowl XXVI, I still don't understand what happened against the Redskins, but once again the game was against another HOF coach. The 3rd and

4th Superbowls that team just willed themselves there...but they just weren't as good of a team at that point and lost to a bigger, better team with a coach who will also probably make the

HOF. I mean Gibbs and Parcells are two of the greatest coaches ever. And let's not forget that just 5 weeks before that first Superbowl in week 15, the Bills beat that same Giants (Parcells/Belechick)

team in the Meadowlands in a similarly hard-fought 17-13 win. So, it's not like he was out of his league (as some like to claim) being badly out coached. Against two HOF coaches

that year, a 4 point win and a 1 point loss.

The other excuse is that he was just lucky to have good players. What Lombardi, Gibbs, Parcells, Belechick, Shula, Landry, Knoll, Stramm, Walsh, etc. didn't have good players?

Not only did he reach 4 Superbowls in the NFL, he also took his Montreal team to the CFL Grey Cup 3 times (out of only 5 years), winning two of them (with an entirely

different team of course). Yes, he actually won two championships. I know the CFL doesn't count for the NFL HOF, but if you are saying he only won because

of the players, his CFL wins say he could still win with different players.

People may point to his unsuccessful run in Kansas City. He took over a horrible 2-12 team and they improved their record every year under Marv to a 9-7 record in his

4th year. His 5th and last year in KC was the strike of 1982 where half the season was cancelled and Marv was fired at the end of that year. The Chiefs, as an organization, were simply a mess at

that time. Regarding that point, over the next 7 years (post Marv) the team only had 1 winning season (4 years after Marv was gone) and that stretch also included two 4 win seasons and two

6 win seasons. So, he didn't do that bad with what he had in KC.

• Marv had a 17-6 record against the winningest coach in NFL History (Shula)
  • One of only 14 coaches to have more than 100 wins with one team
  • One of only two coaches to appear in both a Superbowl and a Grey Cup (Bud Grant was the other)
  • The only coach to guide his team to 4 Super Bowls in a row
  • Even ESPN, who we hate, right? have him ranked as the 17th best NFL coach ever
  • His 204 wins (NFL/CFL) ranks 7th all-time; when he retired he was the 10th winningest coach (NFL wins only)
  • In a 9-year span, he had a record of 97-47, with 6 Division titles, 8 playoff appearances, and 4 AFC titles
  • He was NFL Coach of the Year once and AFC Coach of the Year 3 times

"Where would you rather be than right here, right now?

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us!"

"Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said. A little I'm hurt but not yet slain. I'll just lie down and bleed a while and then I'll rise and fight again." (from a Scottish ballad)

Marv is and deserves to be a Hall of Famer...no question in my mind.

Folz - very well written and agree. The only part that drives me crazy is him not corralling these guys before the big games. He absolutely belongs in the HOF as well as Mr. Wilson, James Lofton, Jim Kelly, Thurmon Thomas, Bruuuce Smith, and now Andre Reed.

When Mr. Polian gets in, that will be 5 players, the coach, GM, and owner. I really hope Tasker makes it in the senior committee, and my favorite Bill is Spiderman. He probably will never in, but a darn shame. Is there anyone that embodied Buffalo more than Talley?

I love my team. I truly hope and pray Whaley and Marrone bring us back to greatness. This free agency and draft will expose whether we're getting there or not.

I still don't understand Bills fans (and I know that, surprisingly, there are a lot of them out there) who don't think Marv should be in the HOF. I really hope you/they read my entire

post even though it is long.

First of all, if it weren't for Marv (who was a former ST coach and focused a lot of practice time and know how to Special Teams) Tasker wouldn't have been the player he was.

And as they always say, leadership starts at the top...if it is a major feat/accomplishment for a team to reach 4 Superbowls in a row, does the head man not get credit for that too?

Any of his players will tell you that his talks and quotes from other great leaders, poetry, or just straight up Marvisms were totally motivating to the team. He was like Vince Lombardi in

that sense (without the hardware of course). He helped build that family mentality and the perseverance that allowed that team to keep coming back and never give up. From most

accounts, Marv was right in there in the planning of the K-Gun, but even if he had nothing to do with it concept-wise, he still made the decision to run it and run with it. He allowed

his QB to call the plays. That was innovation.

But, I know, it always comes down to the Superbowls though doesn't it? First of all, if Norwood's kick is two feet to the left he would have a ring. But, ok that didn't happen...yet, they lost by

1 point to two HOF coaches (in Parcells and Belicheck) and the NYG defensive game plan for that game is actually in the HOF...acknowledging that it was one of the greatest game plans ever...and still

they only lost by 1 point. Superbowl XXVI, I still don't understand what happened against the Redskins, but once again the game was against another HOF coach. The 3rd and

4th Superbowls that team just willed themselves there...but they just weren't as good of a team at that point and lost to a bigger, better team with a coach who will also probably make the

HOF. I mean Gibbs and Parcells are two of the greatest coaches ever. And let's not forget that just 5 weeks before that first Superbowl in week 15, the Bills beat that same Giants (Parcells/Belechick)

team in the Meadowlands in a similarly hard-fought 17-13 win. So, it's not like he was out of his league (as some like to claim) being badly out coached. Against two HOF coaches

that year, a 4 point win and a 1 point loss.

The other excuse is that he was just lucky to have good players. What Lombardi, Gibbs, Parcells, Belechick, Shula, Landry, Knoll, Stramm, Walsh, etc. didn't have good players?

Not only did he reach 4 Superbowls in the NFL, he also took his Montreal team to the CFL Grey Cup 3 times (out of only 5 years), winning two of them (with an entirely

different team of course). Yes, he actually won two championships. I know the CFL doesn't count for the NFL HOF, but if you are saying he only won because

of the players, his CFL wins say he could still win with different players.

People may point to his unsuccessful run in Kansas City. He took over a horrible 2-12 team and they improved their record every year under Marv to a 9-7 record in his

4th year. His 5th and last year in KC was the strike of 1982 where half the season was cancelled and Marv was fired at the end of that year. The Chiefs, as an organization, were simply a mess at

that time. Regarding that point, over the next 7 years (post Marv) the team only had 1 winning season (4 years after Marv was gone) and that stretch also included two 4 win seasons and two

6 win seasons. So, he didn't do that bad with what he had in KC.

• Marv had a 17-6 record against the winningest coach in NFL History (Shula)
  • One of only 14 coaches to have more than 100 wins with one team
  • One of only two coaches to appear in both a Superbowl and a Grey Cup (Bud Grant was the other)
  • The only coach to guide his team to 4 Super Bowls in a row
  • Even ESPN, who we hate, right? have him ranked as the 17th best NFL coach ever
  • His 204 wins (NFL/CFL) ranks 7th all-time; when he retired he was the 10th winningest coach (NFL wins only)
  • In a 9-year span, he had a record of 97-47, with 6 Division titles, 8 playoff appearances, and 4 AFC titles
  • He was NFL Coach of the Year once and AFC Coach of the Year 3 times

"Where would you rather be than right here, right now?

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us!"

"Fight on, my men, Sir Andrew said. A little I'm hurt but not yet slain. I'll just lie down and bleed a while and then I'll rise and fight again." (from a Scottish ballad)

Marv is and deserves to be a Hall of Famer...no question in my mind.

He has the 2nd lowest win percentage of coaches in the HOF.

He lost 4 straight SuperBowls.

He didn't assemble the Bulls of the 90s, Polian did.

He wasn't motivational enough to keep his 20-30 year old babies in their rooms after 10pm on the Eve of the biggest game of their lives. Instead, they were all out getting drunk, coked up, and banging hookers.

Norwood is not to blame for anything but a gimmie kick when his coach knew he should have moved closer.

Norwood is not to be blamed for missing a FG when the game shouldn't have come down to that to begin with. Way to take your own offense out of the game by allowing Kelly to throw it all over instead of running the damn ball more.

Inspirational quotes are verrrrry over rated.

Edited by mrags

Biscuit should have been a HOF'er but he was the Bills greatest underachiever. He never appeared to be as intense or as driven to achieve personal goals as a Bruce Smith and when the AFC presented itself with an opportunity to be had with a minimal effort, he only gave the effort he felt like giving from week to week.

I never felt that Bennett wasn't giving everything he had. I think he was pivotal in the teams success. He tackled hard, and played with plenty of injuries...never questioned his heart. I remember how he helped turn around the Falcons too. He was pissed because after losses no one seemed to care, called people out, and like Jim Kelly brought the team together socially by having team parties at his house. He had the talent of a Hall Of Famer, but sometimes the cards don't fall right. That doesn't mean he wasn't driven.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

I never felt that Bennett wasn't giving everything he had. I think he was pivotal in the teams success. He tackled hard, and played with plenty of injuries...never questioned his heart. I remember how he helped turn around the Falcons too. He was pissed because after losses no one seemed to care, called people out, and like Jim Kelly brought the team together socially by having team parties at his house. He had the talent of a Hall Of Famer, but sometimes the cards don't fall right. That doesn't mean he wasn't driven.

I often wonder how Biscuit would have fared in the eyes of his critics had he remained at OLB and rushed the passer most of the time like Derrick Thomas...Bennett gave up stats to help his team every way he could, including moving inside...He was one of the better cover LB's of his time...He could do it all...And I think that gets lost a bit...He was an amazing talent... B-)

I often wonder how Biscuit would have fared in the eyes of his critics had he remained at OLB and rushed the passer most of the time like Derrick Thomas...Bennett gave up stats to help his team every way he could, including moving inside...He was one of the better cover LB's of his time...He could do it all...And I think that gets lost a bit...He was an amazing talent... B-)

My favorite Bills at that time...

Thurman

Reed

Bennett

Bennett was one of the most fun guys to watch. I have since learned that he might not be such a great guy, but at that time he was a favorite.

My favorite Bills at that time...

Thurman

Reed

Bennett

Bennett was one of the most fun guys to watch. I have since learned that he might not be such a great guy, but at that time he was a favorite.

yeah, that poor girl that was soddomized and had stitches to fix her @$$ probably dislikes him very much.

He had an incredible half season rushing the passer as a rookie, but he played OLB for another 7 full seasons....mostly dashing upfield.......and had just 40 sacks....less than 6 per season on average...... before moving inside for just one year for the Bills. He never elevated his game in Buffalo and when the going got tough he got swept away, like in SB XXV. Not that Derrick Thomas was fond of playing the run either but Thomas actually produced sacks and QB hits that Biscuit did not. And he didn't because he never honed that part of his game. He had GREAT talent but he didn't work to maximize it. He also resisted the move inside, a move which was necessary because he wasn't getting the job done rushing the passer. In the end, he was a very good player for the Bills. But he should have been a GREAT player. Nobody considers him as such and it's not because of talent. There are probably less LB's already in the HOF with his talent than there are ones who had more.

A look back at that era and what Tasker accomplished only leads me to think of one other ST player who was recognized but never given the credit due him. His name - Mark Pike. Tasker made the splash plays but Pike more consistently did his job. He was a big man who could run. Too small to play DE, but special Teams? He was truly a great ST player in his own right. If memory serves, he's the all time leader in the NFL for ST tackles.

Edited by Spiderweb

A look back at that era and what Tasker accomplished only leads me to think of one other ST player who was recognized but never given the credit due him. His name - Mark Pike. Tasker made the splash plays but Pike more consistently did his job. He was a big man who could run. Too small to play DE, but special Teams? He was truly a great ST player in his own right. If memory serves, he's the all time leader in the NFL for ST tackles.

you might be right but tackles don't compute to HOF career. I don't care who you are. You need playmaking plays. Tasker has that.

To put it Into perspective, id be willing to bet there are a bunch of LBs in the history of this league that have enormous amounts of tackles that aren't in.