Did the Seahawks spy on the Broncos?

major

I disagree. But it's not just Sherman. It's all the Seahawk DBs. It's their philosophy. Hold and interfere all the time. Refs aren't going to call it on every play. They've even said as much in newspaper interviews. I know this article has been posted earlier. If you haven't read it, you should. You'll find that HOF Warren Moon, 2 time SB winner OC Kevin Gilbride, Brock Huard, and ex Head of NFL Officials Miker Pereira all say the same thing.

I only wish the Bills would adopt the same philosophy and attitude.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. But it's not just Sherman. It's all the Seahawk DBs. It's their philosophy. Hold and interfere all the time. Refs aren't going to call it on every play. They've even said as much in newspaper interviews. I know this article has been posted earlier. If you haven't read it, you should. You'll find that HOF Warren Moon, 2 time SB winner OC Kevin Gilbride, Brock Huard, and ex Head of NFL Officials Miker Pereira all say the same thing.

Yes, I've already posted 2 WSJ articles on this topic. We all know what they are doing, but every DB and every team is free to do the same thing. The Seahawks haven't invented a new cover scheme or stumbled on some strange loophole in the rules. EVERY team can do this. if they want.

It doesn't change that Sherman is the best cover back in the league.

As for the rest of the D, it's funny that people have to resort to accusing them of "spying" on the Broncos in order to explain the defeat of Peyton. They simply deciphered all that nonsense that Manning does presnap.

Over his career, many teams have beaten Manning at playoff time.

Really? So it is okay to be an actor and dishonest, as long as we get away w/it. I'd rather play the game honest and lose... They'd have a loyal fan for life!

We all slack the Bills for not winning, maybe it is their core philosophy that goes against the grain The League accepts out of its winners.

I hope I not the only one that sees this as a big cultural problem that extends past the silly NFL.

As for the rest of the D, it's funny that people have to resort to accusing them of "spying" on the Broncos in order to explain the defeat of Peyton. They simply deciphered all that nonsense that Manning does presnap.

Over his career, many teams have beaten Manning at playoff time.

I have no prob with this... It is the best part of SEA winning. It drives me crazy watching Peyton look like a tool out there w/all the presnap garbage.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Really? So it is okay to be an actor and dishonest, as long as we get away w/it. I'd rather play the game honest and lose... They'd have a loyal fan for life!

We all slack the Bills for not winning, maybe it is their core philosophy that goes against the grain The League accepts out of its winners.

I hope I not the only one that sees this as a big cultural problem that extends past the silly NFL.

Yes, really. I don't know what "acting" you are referring to, but I do like the aggressiveness their DB's have. You call it dishonest, I call it aggressive. The game is football and I would rather the professional team I cheer for cross the line a bit than lose passively and say, "Well hey, we are done in December every year, but at least we didn't hold a receiver and get away with it."

Yes, really. I don't know what "acting" you are referring to, but I do like the aggressiveness their DB's have. You call it dishonest, I call it aggressive. The game is football and I would rather the professional team I cheer for cross the line a bit than lose passively and say, "Well hey, we are done in December every year, but at least we didn't hold a receiver and get away with it."

Sorry, I was referring to what WEO said about Gilmore not pulling it off, coming off "awkward."

The aggressiveness has been rewarded in SEA and banned in other towns.

Sorry, I was referring to what WEO said about Gilmore not pulling it off, coming off "awkward."

Meh...I think there is a fair bit of that stuff everywhere. Seattle's is, by far, mor publicized than any other defensive backfield (and yes, I do understand they are at the front of the naughty line).

My whole point in the other thread is that despite the NFL being inconsistent with this call all year with all teams, a point I will concede, they have been pretty damn consistent in letting Seattle's DB's do what they do. The refs did not swallow their whistle in the playoffs or Superbowl, they let the stuff go they've been letting go all year. To me, that's consistency, even if it does not fall in the perameters of the written rule.

He would still be the best because all good CBs do exactlty the same thing. Gilmore tries to do it but he's too clumsy and blatant.

The bolded part. Carolina.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Sherman's rant was a bit over the top. He had close to 10 minutes before the "interview" and he was still that "jacked" up?

--

Any jamoke that says the CCG is a SB is full of it.

Wilson was HORRID on 3rd down conversions in the 5 or 6 games prior to the SB, then POOF. On any given Sunday!

In the SF game he was running for his life and got away with some IG non calls.

My point is that Gilmore is as aggressive or more so than Sherman. He's also not nearly as good at straight up coverage. He's a hack a this point.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.

Sherman's rant was a bit over the top. He had close to 10 minutes before the "interview" and he was still that "jacked" up?

--

Any jamoke that says the CCG is a SB is full of it.

Wilson was HORRID on 3rd down conversions in the 5 or 6 games prior to the SB, then POOF. On any given Sunday!

I'm pretty sure you know what he meant with that comment--the NFL's best 2 two teams played in the NFCC game. How can you argue agianst that now, after the AFC's best team by far was totally anihilated in every phase of the game?

Horrid? You want to see horrid--check out P Manning's playoff march to his only winning SB appearance.

My point is that Gilmore is as aggressive or more so than Sherman. He's also not nearly as good at straight up coverage. He's a hack a this point.

I'm pretty sure you know what he meant with that comment--the NFL's best 2 two teams played in the NFCC game. How can you argue agianst that now, after the AFC's best team by far was totally anihilated in every phase of the game?

Horrid? You want to see horrid--check out P Manning's playoff march to his only winning SB appearance.

I disagree. Denver was one of the best teams. Both SF and Seattle had more flaws on Offense and used questionable tactics on D. do do happened and Murphy took a huge bite out of Denver's but.

Like I said on any given sunday.

Gillette is infamous for the visiting teams comms units going down

As long as they don't get caught it's not cheating.

He got away with one of those in the SB too. I don't understand why this is such a difficult call for the refs. If he's out of the pocket and he throws the football and it doesn't get to the LOS, boom, it's a penalty. I don't understand why this is not called all the time.

I want to win as much as anyone. However I hope the Bills DON'T start playing the sleazy game the Seahawks do. There was another quote in that Wall Street Journal article from one of their competitors:

"They just seem to not care about the rules," said New York Giants wide receiver Louis Murphy.

In athletic competition there should at least be an expectation on both sides that the other side is going to at least TRY to play by the rules and not wantonly go out of their way to try to subvert the rules to their advantage IMHO.

There is a difference between aggressive and disregarding the rules.

I put half of the blame on NFL officials for not throwing a flag EVERY TIME the Seahawk DBs give an illegal chuck after 5 yards or hold.

He got away with one of those in the SB too. I don't understand why this is such a difficult call for the refs. If he's out of the pocket and he throws the football and it doesn't get to the LOS, boom, it's a penalty. I don't understand why this is not called all the time.

I want to win as much as anyone. However I hope the Bills DON'T start playing the sleazy game the Seahawks do. There was another quote in that Wall Street Journal article from one of their competitors:

"They just seem to not care about the rules," said New York Giants wide receiver Louis Murphy.

In athletic competition there should at least be an expectation on both sides that the other side is going to at least TRY to play by the rules and not wantonly go out of their way to try to subvert the rules to their advantage IMHO.

I put half of the blame on NFL officials for not throwing a flag EVERY TIME the Seahawk DBs give an illegal chuck after 5 yards or hold.

You present this situation like the Seahawks are the only defensive backs in the league who do this. Everyone does it. Not everyone is as big and physical as they are and not everyone made the SB and had a spotlight on them. Just like you could probably call offensive hoding almost every play in any given game, you could call offensive or defensive pass interference or holding on the majority of passing plays.

You present this situation like the Seahawks are the only defensive backs in the league who do this. Everyone does it. Not everyone is as big and physical as they are and not everyone made the SB and had a spotlight on them. Just like you could probably call offensive hoding almost every play in any given game, you could call offensive or defensive pass interference or holding on the majority of passing plays.

Sorry man, I'm just don't buy it. Why wasn't there a Wall Street Journal article about the San Diego Chargers DBs. Why was only the Seahawks mentioned if everyone does it? This article came out when there were still 8 teams left in the playoffs.

I didn't just notice this because they are on the national spotlight and won the SB. I've been watching them do this for the last 2 years and have noted it here.

I know that article was not the end all be all, but I've watched enough NFL football to know that the Hawks are way over the top in the holding department.

Edited by reddogblitz

I really get a kick out of the manufactured outrage over this non-issue.

This is the same board where everyone complains that "the rules" only favor the Offense. Specifically the rule chages that goverend the amount of contact a DB can have with a receiver.

Now, of course, people are complaining about DBs who are pushing those rules (and playing the older style D the guys complaining about the rules change miss the most) and daring the refs to call penalties and now it's all----"I can't believe those dirty cheating bastards in Seattle!!".

Such phonies. Look, go back and watch the game. They smothered a poorly coached team that was somehow totally unprepared for exactly what they should have known was coming from the Seattle D.

If I was Elaway, I would fire Fox--he's breasts on a bull.

Edited by Mr. WEO

This is the same board where everyone complains that "the rules" only favor the Offense. Specifically the rule chages that goverend the amount of contact a DB can have with a receiver.

Now, of course, people are complaining about DBs who are pushing those rules (and playing the older style D the guys complaining about the rules change miss the most) and daring the refs to call penalties and now it's all----"I can't believe those dirty cheating bastards in Seattle!!".

Such phonies. Look, go back and watch the game. They smothered a poorly coached team that was somehow totally unprepared for exactly what they should have known was coming from the Seattle D.

What he said.

No. This is wrong. I got no problem w/playing a certain way, but call all games fair and consistent with how the rules are applied during the season. Call the Super Bowl the same way as a game in September. That they are not doing and that is where I get heartburn. It isn't manufactured, the subjectiveness is obvious. Maybe DEN was naive to think they could go into the SB the same way as week 3, that is where they effed up... Not realizing The League is grossly inconsistent and subjective

No. This is wrong. I got no problem w/playing a certain way, but call all games fair and consistent with how the rules are applied during the season. Call the Super Bowl the same way as a game in September. That they are not doing and that is where I get heartburn. It isn't manufactured, the subjectiveness is obvious. Maybe DEN was naive to think they could go into the SB the same way as week 3, that is where they effed up... Not realizing The League is grossly inconsistent and subjective

No. This is wrong. They did call it the same, a point I have made repeatedly in the other thread.

It was remarkably consistent to the hawks week 3 game. Let me ask you this EII, before getting upset about the difference, how many games do you watch any given week? Especially games with tough defenses