Super Bowl Menu - Whatcha Got?

Chef Jim

I wish I were joking on some of this. You should not be allowed to cook if you think canned chicken and Kraft singles are integral parts of your recipes!

You bringing out the sausage maker? that thing is probably made for the Super Bowl.

You can actually buy canned chicken? I've honestly never heard of that before. Is it next to the canned tuna in the store?

That sounds interesting. Report back.

Two updates here actually. This is quite popular around here...many different accouterments.but always tenderloin sliced razor thin, usually some radish, shallots , maybe some shaved Parmesan and really good extra virgin olive oil.

I will know shortly as he just called and is bagging the get together as he is just to nervous to watch with other people. I get that, Russell is the best player he ever coached, they are tight as can be..almost father son like. So i be picking up the carpaccio for him!

BTW, heres a link to Charlies bio if you bored before the game.

http://www.collegiate-va.org/podium/default.aspx?t=204&tn=Charlie+McFall%3A+A+Remarkable+History&nid=675319&ptid=130520&sdb=True&pf=pcl&mode=0&vcm=True

2qauwsx.jpg

Nanker...damn boy! That's some fine lookin' sausage. Nice work.

I wish I were joking on some of this. You should not be allowed to cook if you think canned chicken and Kraft singles are integral parts of your recipes!

You bringing out the sausage maker? that thing is probably made for the Super Bowl.

I save the sausage for ice fishing and breakfast...tonight was chili and other assorted vittles. I assume you are home by now making a pastrami "sangwich" after eating chopped chicken with Land O' Lakes. Go Broncs.

I save the sausage for ice fishing and breakfast...tonight was chili and other assorted vittles. I assume you are home by now making a pastrami "sangwich" after eating chopped chicken with Land O' Lakes. Go Broncs.

I had a delicious Super Bowl feast of frozen pizza, frozen cheese sticks, and mystery meat/velveta dip. So, it was much better than expected.

Five layer dip

Gucamole

Salsa

Chicken liver pate

Cured pork belly

Chili dogs

Duck confit

Just the wife and I so we didn't go too crazy.

we were also celebrating a best friend's birthday so went all out: artichoke hearts stuffed with gorganzola covered with panko and deep fried, sausage filled phyllo pastry, asparagus soup augmented with duck breast confit (there's almost surely a more technical name but i don't know it), steak diane (the only thing that i made), roasted baby potatoes, steamed asparagus with drawn butter, key lime pie and taramasu, coffee, port. beer and wine during the game. best ever for us. luckily her birthday comes the same time every year!

we were also celebrating a best friend's birthday so went all out: artichoke hearts stuffed with gorganzola covered with panko and deep fried, sausage filled phyllo pastry, asparagus soup augmented with duck breast confit (there's almost surely a more technical name but i don't know it), steak diane (the only thing that i made), roasted baby potatoes, steamed asparagus with drawn butter, key lime pie and taramasu, coffee, port. beer and wine during the game. best ever for us. luckily her birthday comes the same time every year!

Umm... I think I know what party I am crashing next year. Sounds awesome.

Umm... I think I know what party I am crashing next year. Sounds awesome.

i'd highly recommend trying the deep fried artichokes. we had them at a restaurant and my wife successfully reproduced them...with canned hearts and they were fantastic and it didn't look too difficult to do. steak diane is a dish whose fall from favor i can't explain. i just used sirloin pounded down to 1/4" (cue the pounding meat jokes that were said sunday). 1/2 hour total to prepare.

I'd like to know what the duck was. Breast is almost never done as a confit, it's typically leg meat.

i'd highly recommend trying the deep fried artichokes. we had them at a restaurant and my wife successfully reproduced them...with canned hearts and they were fantastic and it didn't look too difficult to do. steak diane is a dish whose fall from favor i can't explain. i just used sirloin pounded down to 1/4" (cue the pounding meat jokes that were said sunday). 1/2 hour total to prepare.

Funny you should mention the artichokes, as that was the thing that really jumped out at me as sounding really awesome. i am going to have to try that. Thanks!

I'd like to know what the duck was. Breast is almost never done as a confit, it's typically leg meat.

couldn't find duck leg as the recipe called for. she minced $6 worth of duck breast and deep fried it. put it in the soup near the end of its cooking (which she reports was stringy at first and had to be sieved before adding the duck) . don't know much more than that but it was delicious. might be a jamie oliver recipe as she's a big fan.

ok, here's the scoop from the cook. winter duck ragout in artichoke soup from gordon ramsey's maze. sorry. i'm a philistine. but i make a mean steak diane.

Edited by birdog1960