I think it really was a dynasty

bbb

With Andre getting in the HOF, this means that a Hall of Fame coach lined up 5 Hall of Fame players for our first three Super Bowls and 4 for our 4th.

The Giants had one HOFer, along with their HOF coach, and a will be HOF coach as DC.

The Skins had 3 HOFers and a HOF coach.

And, the Cowboys had 3 HOFers.

I didn't believe it at the time when people said how much respect these team would get even after losing all four, and I always said I'd take one win and only one appearance over four straight appearances. But, I'm not so sure now.

I think I'd rather have this be my team than the Bucs with their one win in one appearance.

The respect this team has received, after being a punchline back then, has been unbelievable. I know the 60s Packers and the 70s Steelers have got to have more HOFers, but that might be it. I don't if any other team has or will have lined up with 5 HOFers and a HOF coach.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tasker gets in, my god...he deserves it. It'd be fantastic.

Beyond those elected we all know that several players had HOF tenures with the Bills during those years but were not eligible for reasonable entry because their careers in total did not deem them worthy. Players like Cornelius Bennett, Kent Hull and Daryl Talley really made huge differences and contributes to the team. I still envision Kent Hull having a chance to enter the HOF. The HOF voters like to throw a bone to the yesteryears players and in 10-15 years when they come across his name representing the era when real football was played I think he has a chance to make it.

By then, and already, LB's are not what they used to be. I do not see LB's in this current generation having the same impact as those in the past. They're much more celebrated and playing an almost entirely different game today.

If Tasker gets in, my god...he deserves it. It'd be fantastic.

Beyond those elected we all know that several players had HOF tenures with the Bills during those years but were not eligible for reasonable entry because their careers in total did not deem them worthy. Players like Cornelius Bennett, Kent Hull and Daryl Talley really made huge differences and contributes to the team. I still envision Kent Hull having a chance to enter the HOF. The HOF voters like to throw a bone to the yesteryears players and in 10-15 years when they come across his name representing the era when real football was played I think he has a chance to make it.

By then, and already, LB's are not what they used to be. I do not see LB's in this current generation having the same impact as those in the past. They're much more celebrated and playing an almost entirely different game today.

I do think those guys mentioned are HOF material. I think Tasker will get in just like Guy - on the veterans committee.

I just figured out that the Cowboys started 8 HOFers in Super Bowl VI. Who knew that Lance Alworth and Herb Adderly played for them?!?

I think the only guy remaining from those Bills teams that has a really good chance of making it is Bill Polian. He is one a very small handful of great GM's of the last 30 years or so. It may take years, mainly because only one "old-timer" or "contributer" can make it per year...but he should get in.

Also, I agree jboyst, Tasker deserves strong consideration...he was likely responsible, during that 4 year reign over the AFC, for about 5 or 6 wins, all on his own. And his football smarts and awareness contributed even more to so many of those games...all the comebacks...Broncos, Raiders...

My fear with Tasker, though, once they start considering more special teamers (Ray Guy got in, today, so it is happening) they will look at stats...Tasker didn't really return kicks...he didn't kick field goals, he didn't punt the ball... so on paper, his contributions won't seem as great, especially as time goes on, and return men start getting in...unless he makes it in the next year or two, I fear, he will be waiting til he is very elderly to join the HOF ranks. Can only imagine the hand wringing in 2025 when Bill Bates (Cowboys) gets in the HOF over Tasker! :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Levy doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. I'm still stunned he is in. How can you explain he is in the HOF and Tome Flores is not? I think Levy is the reason they did not win the first one.

Polian deserves to be in the HOF in his place.

Tasker does not deserve the HOF over guys like Tim Brown or Marvin Harrison or even special teams guys like Morten Anderson or Adam Veneteri. Tasker was a great contributor but there are so many truly special players it would be a shame if he made it and one of them did not. He is on the wall and that is as far as he will ever go unless they increase the number of finalists and dilute the talent level.

I think the only guy remaining from those Bills teams that has a really good chance of making it is Bill Polian. He is one a very small handful of great GM's of the last 30 years or so. It may take years, mainly because only one "old-timer" or "contributer" can make it per year...but he should get in.

Also, I agree jboyst, Tasker deserves strong consideration...he was likely responsible, during that 4 year reign over the AFC, for about 5 or 6 wins, all on his own. And his football smarts and awareness contributed even more to so many of those games...all the comebacks...Broncos, Raiders...

My fear with Tasker, though, once they start considering more special teamers (Ray Guy got in, today, so it is happening) they will look at stats...Tasker didn't really return kicks...he didn't kick field goals, he didn't punt the ball... so on paper, his contributions won't seem as great, especially as time goes on, and return men start getting in...unless he makes it in the next year or two, I fear, he will be waiting til he is very elderly to join the HOF ranks. Can only imagine the hand wringing in 2025 when Bill Bates (Cowboys) gets in the HOF over Tasker! :lol:

Good post.

Going FOR Tasker, 7 Pro Bowls as AFC STer. This says more good than what he didn't do, IMO.

Also going for Tasker is that question we hear from the players and voters, "Can the history of the game be written without that guy?" The answer is no. Teams game planned for Tasker. He could literally change a game on a dime. You can't tell the story of the great 1990s buffalo bills without Steve Tasker. Yes, this team really was a dynasty, and yes, Tasker is a hall of famer in waiting.

Did you hear John Clayton on Schopp and the Bulldog the other day talking about the difference one single play can make for a whole franchise? It was an interesting thought. He was basically saying that he thought we would have won more than one Superbowl if it hadn't been for wide right. It was a dynasty!

Then he compared that to (ugh) what the tuck rule game did for the Pats and more recently what the Fail Mary game did for the Seahawks.

Levy doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. I'm still stunned he is in. How can you explain he is in the HOF and Tome Flores is not?

The coaches put Marv Levy in the HOF. The coaches knew that Levy had a bunch of spoiled, out of control, jerks as players who couldn't get their collective s**t together on those four Super Bowl Sundays.

Levy coached FOUR consecutive BUFFALO BILLS teams to super bowls and doesn't deserve to be there? Tom Flores was a good coach but doesn't have four straight super bowls on his resume.

No one besides the Bills have four straight Super Bowls on there resume. The Bills were an AFC Dynasty but that isn't what you are going for. One SB title and they would be a legendary team but overall, they still accomplished something unbelievable, which will likely never be done again.

Yes it was a dynasty-no question! Much harder to get to four SBs than to win only one. In retrospect, it was so enjoyable to have those multiple years of excellence as a fan. Should they have won the first one and never returned it would not have been as enjoyable a period IMO. I was frustrated crazy like a lot of BIlls fans, but age and wisdom has caused me to reflect on the period. It was awesome, I just wish my son and daughter could experience the week after week excitement of winning those conference championships. The most resilient sports team ever!! I would also add that group of Redskins who beat the Bills, are regarded now as a great one-year wonder. The other years surrounding the Super Bowl victory, were mediocre only. Why? because they were a very good team, who had a great year. The Bills were a great team, that had a very good season, and a very bad performance in one game.

Levy doesn't deserve to be in the HOF. I'm still stunned he is in. How can you explain he is in the HOF and Tome Flores is not? I think Levy is the reason they did not win the first one.

Polian deserves to be in the HOF in his place.

Tasker does not deserve the HOF over guys like Tim Brown or Marvin Harrison or even special teams guys like Morten Anderson or Adam Veneteri. Tasker was a great contributor but there are so many truly special players it would be a shame if he made it and one of them did not. He is on the wall and that is as far as he will ever go unless they increase the number of finalists and dilute the talent level.

I am guessing you are one of those who has argued over the years that Andre Reed doesn't belong either.,it isn't a choice of Levy or Polian...they can both go in, and they should. Same with Tasker in relation to guysz like Tim Brown and Marvin Harrison. One really has nothing to do with the other, No reason to walk around "stunned" for a decade...

The coaches put Marv Levy in the HOF. The coaches knew that Levy had a bunch of spoiled, out of control, jerks as players who couldn't get their collective s**t together on those four Super Bowl Sundays.

I thought only Pro Football writers voted on the HOF.

At a time when the NFC was truly a superior conference at the top level, the Bills were the closest thing to a dynasty the AFC had. Interestingly enough, those Bills were great on the road, and were excellent against the NFC. Except for a brilliant coaching job by coordinator Belichick for the overmatched Giants in Supe XXV, the Bills had the misfortune of always facing the best the NFC had to offer. They just never got the "lucky wildcard squad" whose luck ran out just short of the goal. The Redskins team was a juggernaut that year and the two Cowboys squads were the best defensive roster in football. There were teams in those NFC playoffs who the Bills could surely have beaten if they had advanced. It just seemed they ended up with the worst possible matchup in the last 3. People said it was partying or peripheral things like that, but those things are overrated. Football was and is still about matchups, and the Bills area of vulnerabilty (stopping the run, turnovers) were magnified by their opponents. As crazy as it sounds, SF may have been a better matchup for the Bills in XXV. That team was built for shootouts, not a street fight. BB and the Giants turned it into the latter. It's too bad they didn't win one, but the HOF voters are showing a great deal of respect for the '90's Bills as they look even better in the rearview than they did in the oncoming lane.

Yes it was a dynasty-no question! Much harder to get to four SBs than to win only one. In retrospect, it was so enjoyable to have those multiple years of excellence as a fan. Should they have won the first one and never returned it would not have been as enjoyable a period IMO. I was frustrated crazy like a lot of BIlls fans, but age and wisdom has caused me to reflect on the period. It was awesome, I just wish my son and daughter could experience the week after week excitement of winning those conference championships. The most resilient sports team ever!! I would also add that group of Redskins who beat the Bills, are regarded now as a great one-year wonder. The other years surrounding the Super Bowl victory, were mediocre only. Why? because they were a very good team, who had a great year. The Bills were a great team, that had a very good season, and a very bad performance in one game.

Aided by a million no interference calls by the refs. I didn't blame Andre for throwing his helmet. I was throwing something at the same time.

The Seahawks now deploy the same strategy. Keeping interfering and find out where they're drawing the line..........And, you'll get away with it most of the time anyway.

I thought only Pro Football writers voted on the HOF.

Haha - that made NO sense.