Is MLB our biggest need now?

Chris Borland, Max Bullough, Christian Jones, Shayne Skov, Yawin Smallwood...there are plenty of guys in the draft who wont need the #9 overall pick to get them. I would much rather use the 1st round pick to grab a playmaking TE or WR...this offense (and QB) needs some help.

(Besides Borland, they all have good size too...at least 6-3, 240.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His play would probably decline as the season wore on and the Bills would probably rank toward the bottom of the league against the run as he could be easily handled by guards. Or we could all wish that we didn't see what we actually saw and that all problems would disappear with magic pixie dust. Kind of like Flutie.

Or we could move him to where he belongs and effectively get two players for drafting one. But you're right let's draft clod Evans and his 9.6 forty so we can relive the career of James Hardly.

What was it exactly that you saw that you wish you hadn't? The guy racked up 159 tackles for goodness sake. Where does he belong other than at MLB? Brian loves him there. Why don't you?

Please explain how we effectively get two players for drafting one?? What do we do, play D with 10 players??? Ralph will be delighted. One less player to pay.

Chris Borland, Max Bullough, Christian Jones, Shayne Skov, Yawin Smallwood...there are plenty of guys in the draft who wont need the #9 overall pick to get them. I would much rather use the 1st round pick to grab a playmaking TE or WR...this offense (and QB) needs some help.

(Besides Borland, they all have good size too...at least 6-3, 240.)

You aren't keeping up with the thread.

To play MLB you must be 12'6" and 476 lbs like Urlacker.

It's not like a guy kikos size, Ray Lewis's size or who's that tiny guy in frisco Willis? could play MLB in the NFL for 16 games!!!

His play would probably decline as the season wore on and the Bills would probably rank toward the bottom of the league against the run as he could be easily handled by guards. Or we could all wish that we didn't see what we actually saw and that all problems would disappear with magic pixie dust. Kind of like Flutie.

Or we could move him to where he belongs and effectively get two players for drafting one. But you're right let's draft clod Evans and his 9.6 forty so we can relive the career of James Hardly.

Huh Flutie? Yes a 5'9" 180lb QB is exactly the same problem as a 6'3" 238lb linebacker, the same size as plenty of phenomenal middle linebackers... Jeeeze dude.

If he was so well "handled" by o line men, how the hell did he lead the team in tackling??

Kuechly should also consider moving outside size he's a bit lighter at 235...

I hear ya, when we played the 4-3 alignment this season Kiko lined up in the middle or the weakside, but do you think Kiko is best suited for MLB? I'm not so sure personally.

In other words, this is the problem I have with Alonso at MLB full-time. I don't think Alonso is great against the run and the two DT in front of him are better at pass-rushing than run-stuffing (IMO), so combining the two is a recipe for disaster (vs the run)..imo.

If you are basing your view on Alonzo's size, then consider that CJ Mosley is not taller or heavier (by what I've seen published). Beyond that, I am not sure that the 250lb MLB isn't a dinosaur now - pass defense is all the rage and most of these whomping big LBs can't cover anyone...

Right now its still QB until EJ proves otherwise. You CANNOT win in todays NFL without good QB play. At 1 if a QB fell to me and im the GM u bet im takin one.

Nope . Yep . nope.

not this year my friend. just wont happen with these guys.

The LG must be solved. The RG and RT may not be able to execute Marrones idea of Offense , or Nate's either, so i suggest upgrades at both those positions. Then we have decent depth right away on the right side and LG with Urbik . Nice ! And neither of those 3 picks need to be first rounders unless we go all in on the RT.

The TE is a problem. Chandler or no Chandler . I hope we keep him but.

I have no idea about Chris or Moeaki. so thats on the coaches for sure. Smith is what he is. solid bruiser .

So The TEs in the draft could be worth investing in early .

But the New LineBacker that get on the field with Kiko ?

Thats really something. This one better be good and Shwaattz better nail it . and grab depth in the 3-4 .

I agree with the most . We need a gap killer downhill smart type who can still play 3 downs if needed.

Who is he ?

I EXPECT the Bills to look hard at this position and i have some faith they might well succeed .

Kiko can play all safety for gosh sakes ! lets get the next best thing at LB and then line them up . BPA at LB . and The heavy hitter. we need two maybe to reach dominant . How Bills solve this not sure but thats the issues i see

Go Bills

how about brandon spikes. nasty streak and a hard hitter. not sure the pats will want him back

Put me down for Spikes too, I always thought he was kind of a jerk but that might have had something to do with the fact he played for NE. Revenge factor vs NE, reputation as a run stopper and familiarity with AFCEast can't hurt either!!

Kiko would be a terror on the weak side!!

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

Put me down for Spikes too, I always thought he was kind of a jerk but that might have had something to do with the fact he played for NE. Revenge factor vs NE, reputation as a run stopper and familiarity with AFCEast can't hurt either!!

Kiko would be a terror on the weak side!!

I understand . but he is nearly done if not done. Dansby would be the better FA IMHO .

Kiko would probably have a riot playing aside a kick ass LB with attitude and the tools

You aren't keeping up with the thread.

To play MLB you must be 12'6" and 476 lbs like Urlacker.

It's not like a guy kikos size, Ray Lewis's size or who's that tiny guy in frisco Willis? could play MLB in the NFL for 16 games!!!

And DTs must by 15' 690+ lbs or they can't stop the run.

To the person reminiscing about "fat" Pat Williams, I am almost certain that he was a 285lb undrafted free agent who grew to who knows what size.

Stength, power, quickness and technique are as important or more so than just weight (IMHO)

Edited by OldTimer1960

I believe that we can not waste a number 9 pick on ILB, way to many out there this year(Bullough, Jones, Smallwood, Skov-Who I like, an d Borland We need Big WR, LG. and TE just as much as ILB. I do hope we trade back and get another 2nd rounder, I also hope we address some of these issues in FA. I think we go for big reciver first in draft. Not to get of this thread to much but we do need MLB.

I believe that we can not waste a number 9 pick on ILB, way to many out there this year(Bullough, Jones, Smallwood, Skov-Who I like, an d Borland We need Big WR, LG. and TE just as much as ILB. I do hope we trade back and get another 2nd rounder, I also hope we address some of these issues in FA. I think we go for big reciver first in draft. Not to get of this thread to much but we do need MLB.

WR or TE . I will pick TE such as Ebron if he is at nine. But to get over the top for the Bills defense LB needs to be considered

Huh Flutie? Yes a 5'9" 180lb QB is exactly the same problem as a 6'3" 238lb linebacker, the same size as plenty of phenomenal middle linebackers... Jeeeze dude.

If he was so well "handled" by o line men, how the hell did he lead the team in tackling??

Kuechly should also consider moving outside size he's a bit lighter at 235...

The Flutie comparison was not a knock on Kiko's size, just that people think he is somehow magic. And anyone that looks at Kiko and Patrick Willis and thinks they are the same size should move to Colorado because smoking that stuff is legal there now.

If you are basing your view on Alonzo's size, then consider that CJ Mosley is not taller or heavier (by what I've seen published). Beyond that, I am not sure that the 250lb MLB isn't a dinosaur now - pass defense is all the rage and most of these whomping big LBs can't cover anyone...

I dont know how this convo got sidetracked into a conversation about kiko's size. For me, its not about Kiko's size per se, its about my belief that Kiko's strengths are BEST-suiteed for the weak side LB spot and although he CAN play MLB, i dont think we would tap his full ability at that spot.

Why do I feel this way? Because Kiko LOVES to be aggressive and attempt to blow up a play in the backfield. At the weak side, kiko can better use his explosiveness and quickness. He cann better use his aggressiveness and play in more open space to pursue the ball carrier or the QB. Where can a LB best be able to perform this function? AT THE WEAK SIDE, and not the mike (sorry if i offend by using the word Mike - dont want to come off as arrogant to some). At the Mike you have to be consistent against the run and you cant swing and miss in your assignment and i dont see Kiko excelling at that. Not bc hes "too small" but simply bc that is not his strong point.

And yes, kiko had x amount of tackles last season, but they were done in a defensive alignment that had him playig on the weakside a lot, and quite frankly he was all over the field. Having kiko play mlb in a 4-3 for an entire season is a different animal. id also like to see what schemes schwarz comes up with.

Anyway, from the responses i see that the majority of people feel that MLB is not a critical need, with a few disagreeing. I posed this thread as a question, not a statement.

The Flutie comparison was not a knock on Kiko's size, just that people think he is somehow magic. And anyone that looks at Kiko and Patrick Willis and thinks they are the same size should move to Colorado because smoking that stuff is legal there now.

Though i dont feel kiko is undersized to play MLB, those who say Kiko is the same size as Willis, Lewis or Urlacher are being a bit silly. I dont care what theyre "listed" at, kiko is the smallest of that group. Ill leave that size comparison topic there.

Edited by bobobonators

Nope . Yep . nope.

not this year my friend. just wont happen with these guys.

The LG must be solved. The RG and RT may not be able to execute Marrones idea of Offense , or Nate's either, so i suggest upgrades at both those positions. Then we have decent depth right away on the right side and LG with Urbik . Nice ! And neither of those 3 picks need to be first rounders unless we go all in on the RT.

The TE is a problem. Chandler or no Chandler . I hope we keep him but.

I have no idea about Chris or Moeaki. so thats on the coaches for sure. Smith is what he is. solid bruiser .

So The TEs in the draft could be worth investing in early .

But the New LineBacker that get on the field with Kiko ?

Thats really something. This one better be good and Shwaattz better nail it . and grab depth in the 3-4 .

I agree with the most . We need a gap killer downhill smart type who can still play 3 downs if needed.

Who is he ?

I EXPECT the Bills to look hard at this position and i have some faith they might well succeed .

Kiko can play all safety for gosh sakes ! lets get the next best thing at LB and then line them up . BPA at LB . and The heavy hitter. we need two maybe to reach dominant . How Bills solve this not sure but thats the issues i see

Go Bills

lots of things have to be solved, the OP said biggest need. I say QB and opted to keep it simple. Im not a fool to think one will be there, but its by far our biggest need.

lots of things have to be solved, the OP said biggest need. I say QB and opted to keep it simple. Im not a fool to think one will be there, but its by far our biggest need.

Lol. I agree that we need a QB to play well and that, when its all said and done, is our biggest "need". My OP was intended more towards addressing personnel. QB is not a "need" imo in terms of actually having a player to play. EJ will most likely be that player. LB is not as clear cut bc the way I see it, we're clearly short 1 LB, whether it be at WLB or MLB is a different matter i suppose.

I understand . but he is nearly done if not done. Dansby would be the better FA IMHO .

Kiko would probably have a riot playing aside a kick ass LB with attitude and the tools

Agree, let someone else take the beating while he shoots the gaps and makes the plays!!

With the #9 pick please draft a playmaking TE or WR Buffalo. It would open things up for everyone from CJ to SJ.

Agree, let someone else take the beating while he shoots the gaps and makes the plays!!

With the #9 pick please draft a playmaking TE or WR Buffalo. It would open things up for everyone from CJ to SJ.

Not to beat a the proverbial horse again. But, the only thing that will really open up things from CJ to SJ is that line!

Think back to when the Bills brought in TO, a play making WR who always wants the ball. Except the QB's couldn't always get him the ball. Mostly because they didn't have the time in the pocket to make the 3-5 step drop backs, or even a pocket to step up into.

The Bills have a serviceable TE in Chandler, and 3 WR's who are still developing at the NFL level. Two of them are speed burners who can open up the deep passing game. (Provided a Bills QB has the time to make the throws.) Plus, a good possession type in Robert Woods who is good on the short and intermediate routes.

Some folks here are suggesting that the biggest need of the team is a top QB. Well, how on gods green earth to you guys expect EJ to develop if he under constant duress, on his back or always injured. That goes for any of the three young QB's on the roster, and even the glass QB Kevin Kolb.

The past 14 years the Bills have used #1 & #2 draft picks on WR's, and where did it get them? A #2 Josh Reed, A #1 Lee Evans, A #2 Roscoe Parrish, A #2 James Hardy, A #2 Robert Woods. They have also drafted a flurry of DB's, DT's, RB's in that time for so many losing seasons.

The Bills haven't had a top O line across the board, meaning all five players since the Jim Kelly days. Think about it!