The 10 worst states for taxes - 2014

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average sales tax in NYS is 8.5. I guess the other ridiculous levels of government each get to set a rate as well.

Seems like I remember 11% when I lived in Erie county. What really got me was I would take my already NYS taxed as wages money into a store to buy cigarettes, which where marked up 80% for taxes and pay a sales tax on them. So I was paying a tax on a tax with my already taxed money.

Seems like I remember 11% when I lived in Erie county. What really got me was I would take my already NYS taxed as wages money into a store to buy cigarettes, which where marked up 80% for taxes and pay a sales tax on them. So I was paying a tax on a tax with my already taxed money.

don't forget driving back and forth from said store powered by some of the most highly taxed gasoline around... gas prices here are probably only less than California and Hawaii

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Although I was under the impression that the county share of sales tax was less, that was sort-of my point - that that list is inaccurate, on the low side.

It's definitely inaccurately low.

As an aside: Added to the state sales tax is anywhere from 3% (Saratoga, a few others) - 4.875% (NYC, yeah, didn't see that coming).

7% as early as I can remember. I remember when Erie raised it to 8%, and Niagara was still at 7%. I think they were both at 8% when I left.

Yeah 11 was when I came back for a visit so I don't now when it was. You KNOW it's never going to go down all ways up.

Yep. I remember the Erie county gov't arguing "It's only a temporary increase." And the Thruway tolls were only until the bond issue was paid off.

"Once you have their money, never give it back."

No Illinois on the list? Oh wait, my property taxes went DOWN in Will County and I still managed to swing almost a cool grand back from the state last year @ tax time. Nevermind. Way to go Illinois, can't even make the commie list and Chicago/Cook nails people for 10% sales.

Swing a cool grand? It was your money in the first place. They borrowed it from you for a year interest free.