Schwartz D will be "Attacking" D

Good point and what happened to DaRick Rogers when he was taunting and undisciplined in training camp? Out of a job. I have no worries Marrone will not tolerate that behavior with his players.

While Rogers' OTA taunt didn't help any, if he showed enough he would have made the squad. We shouldn't act like Marrone is this paragon of disciplined play; this team was heavily penalized last year. Coaches have to get a better handle on it.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is really simple: I want to be a very aggressive defense," Jauron, the Browns defensive coordinator, said recently in a phone interview with The Chronicle, one of his first since getting the job in January. "You want to feel like you're attacking. You don't want to feel like you're reacting all the time..."

Literally EVERY coach says the same thing.

Agree -- attack, put players in position, simplify . . . .yada, yada, yada --- let's see what personnel changes are made this off season -- that will tell a lot !!

While Rogers' OTA taunt didn't help any, if he showed enough he would have made the squad. We shouldn't act like Marrone is this paragon of disciplined play; this team was heavily penalized last year. Coaches have to get a better handle on it.

GO BILLS!!!

I think unsportsmanlike play is better said in regard to Rogers.

Discipline might be better considered with Dareus sitting and sending that message. Semantics i suppose ?

Bill were heavily penalized . But the real ones were on the line . And that is something that must change asap ! Agreed K-9

A lot to take in over the last couple weeks.

First, Schwartz does scare me and seems a little like Wanny. The new NFL requires confusion and schemes and I just don't like it when he suggests they don;t try to be too scheme oriented, Every coach says his team is going to be aggressive and attacking so I don't place any faith in that.

However, I think we were overrating Pettine a bit. The D was improved but inconsistent and especially showed some gaping holes against the good teams. New Orleans made them look pretty bad as well as New England and Atlanta. They played pretty well at home. Obviously run D was hit and miss.

So my hope is that Schwartz has learned from his mistakes and will be an improved DC his second time around. I think he is better than a lot of our other options and he will improve the run defense. Also, because he did not wow in Detroit I don't think he'll be stolen next year even if he has a good season. I think Pettine's biggest draw was that he hasn't failed as a HC...yet. I did not follow things that closely but heard Schwartz was more involved in the D this year and Detroit played some pretty capable offenses this year so if they were even average I think that's a pretty good sign.

It's probably more important that Hackett and Marrone grow this year on the other side of the ball than worrying too much about Scwartz's D given his experience. Wish we could have seen what Pettine would have doen in year two though!

here is the same type of nonsense Wandstatt said:

“It’s a scheme built on

the guys up front getting after the quarterback.

As much as you want to be multi-dimensional with personnel groups,

the league comes down to one-on-one,

and I think we have some guys that can do that.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-defense-wont-sit-back-20140128?two-bills-drive

It's hard to imagine that, for example, Schwartz doesn't see that Nickel Robey, once or twice a game, has a real sense of timing, burst, and playmaking ability blitzing from the slot, and that talent, which is somewhat rare, needs to be utilized even if your history and tendency is to not blitz CBs very much.

That, to me, is the kind of stuff that will make or break Schwartz as a DC on the Bills. What Pettine did very well is put different styles of players in position to make plays based on their strengths, not necessarily his strengths. Robey was a beneficiary of that, and in turn, the Bills were.

There is nothing I have seen from listening to Schwartz that he is not a very intelligent guy. Some guys, few in fact, are true playmakers. Robey seems to be one of them.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

ridiculous that some one in this tread developed this into racial issue. To clarify "thugs" I meant players who spend more time with their own agenda, trying to hurt players opposite to them, take penalties for being over aggressive and hurt the team, put their out of control emotions ahead of their teammates and end up being losers when playing as a unit would have put them in position to WIN, the real objective

Did the Lions not underperform in part for this reason

You lost me at Bill Maher. Virtually everything that comes out of his and his guests mouth is absolutely laughable in it's ridiculousness.

He is a comedian.

is it because his audience leans liberal or that he and his guests may be right in what they say?

Google thug and see what comes up.

Thug, a common criminal, who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire.

Almost the definition of a football player.

It's hard to imagine that, for example, Schwartz doesn't see that Nickel Robey, once or twice a game, has a real sense of timing, burst, and playmaking ability blitzing from the slot, and that talent, which is somewhat rare, needs to be utilized even if your history and tendency is to not blitz CBs very much.

That, to me, is the kind of stuff that will make or break Schwartz as a DC on the Bills. What Pettine did very well is put different styles of players in position to make plays based on their strengths, not necessarily his strengths. Robey was a beneficiary of that, and in turn, the Bills were.

There is nothing I have seen from listening to Schwartz that he is not a very intelligent guy. Some guys, few in fact, are true playmakers. Robey seems to be one of them.

Is it up to the HC or Schwartz to make the call on Robey?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

He is a comedian.

is it because his audience leans liberal or that he and his guests may be right in what they say?

Google thug and see what comes up.

Thug, a common criminal, who treats others violently and roughly, often for hire.

Almost the definition of a football player.

Is it up to the HC or Schwartz to make the call on Robey?

Both, in theory. Marrone can hold schwartz accountable but Schwartz is calling the plays and it'll be his name on the defense- so ideally they won't differ wildly.

Count me in the scared column. I enjoyed Pettines' defense and believed another year and a new LB would significantly reduce the huge runs. That defense put fear into the opposition that they'd bring the house every play from everywhere. The sacks and turnovers it caused speak for themselves. I love that and am bummed that Schwartz has already 'virtually' said that will no longer be the mantra. Without it, QBs will have time to dissect the secondary.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so..

here is the same type of nonsense Wandstatt said:

“It’s a scheme built on

the guys up front getting after the quarterback.

As much as you want to be multi-dimensional with personnel groups,

the league comes down to one-on-one,

and I think we have some guys that can do that.”

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

As the person who wanted to trade Mario for Skelton, plese excuse me if I trust Schwartz idea of a defense over yours.

Not only that, but to assume any NFL DC could/would ever run a scheme as lousy as Wanny's is some sort of depraved wishful thinking.

Exactly. The reason some folks are devastated over the lost of Pettine is because of how flat out terrible Wanny was. This entire defense is basically made up of 1st and 2nd rounders. Schwartz might not have had a more talented group in all of his years as a coach.

If this isn't a top 10 defense, he failed as a coach.

Count me in the scared column. I enjoyed Pettines' defense and believed another year and a new LB would significantly reduce the huge runs. That defense put fear into the opposition that they'd bring the house every play from everywhere. The sacks and turnovers it caused speak for themselves. I love that and am bummed that Schwartz has already 'virtually' said that will no longer be the mantra. Without it, QBs will have time to dissect the secondary.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so..

I would not agree. Yet. Jim has a Linebacker driven game. They are calling the gap protection and reading and making adjustments. The D line just has to "get after it when the ball is snapped. The LBS do most of the adjusting .

Pettine was able to open the playbook much more than Hackett. And Mikes defense was just going to improve with time and a couple players .

but Schwartz under Marrone wont let the pressure slip .

lets see how the players respond to him. They did have some fun for a change last season . And dveloped some confidence ,I hope that part of the Defense remains !

all that said. I am not sure about this guy .

I would never buy him a beer just by looking at him .

Exactly. The reason some folks are devastated over the lost of Pettine is because of how flat out terrible Wanny was. This entire defense is basically made up of 1st and 2nd rounders. Schwartz might not have had a more talented group in all of his years as a coach.

This

I haven't seen eball round these parts in awhile. I'm sure all his outspoken critiques of the mods finally caught up with him. But he would fully agree that it simply can't be understated how bad Wanny was. Anybody by comparison would have looked like a God. And yes, Pettine did some great things with blitzing DB's that I'm hoping will stay in Schwartz's scheme, but the defense was far far from perfect last year.

I haven't seen eball round these parts in awhile. I'm sure all his outspoken critiques of the mods finally caught up with him. But he would fully agree that it simply can't be understated how bad Wanny was. Anybody by comparison would have looked like a God. And yes, Pettine did some great things with blitzing DB's that I'm hoping will stay in Schwartz's scheme, but the defense was far far from perfect last year.

far far... from perfect ?

Disappointed are you Cat ?

How about " still had room for improvement "

Such as run D and 3rd down.

Oh geez. Jims specialty :doh:

Edited by 3rdand12