Manuel appears on WKBW

Beerball

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really hoping Manuel would have surgery on his knee rather then hoping rest will be enough.

Arthroscopic knee surgery is so routine that if they felt he needed it, even just for diagnostic reasons, he'd have had it done.

Reports were that aside from a couple lockout mini camps with the goon squad, Fitz did little to nothing during the offseason. I'm sure Trent played a lot of golf and JP probably went surfing in Vietnam.

Is there anybody that donuts whether EJ will be hands-down the hardest working offseason QB Buffalo has had In a LONG time?

I'm not expecting miracles over night. Brady took 3-4 years of constant work before he became more than a game manager. But I'm anticipating a noticeable leap in Manuel year 2.

Reports were that aside from a couple lockout mini camps with the goon squad, Fitz did little to nothing during the offseason. I'm sure Trent played a lot of golf and JP probably went surfing in Vietnam.

Is there anybody that donuts whether EJ will be hands-down the hardest working offseason QB Buffalo has had In a LONG time?

I'm not expecting miracles over night. Brady took 3-4 years of constant work before he became more than a game manager. But I'm anticipating a noticeable leap in Manuel year 2.

All the hard work in the world won't help him if he doesn't focus on the right things. I doubt his accuracy improves next year, because I doubt he revamps his mechanics.

All the hard work in the world won't help him if he doesn't focus on the right things. I doubt his accuracy improves next year, because I doubt he revamps his mechanics.

Fact, no young player ever improves. Peyton Manning completed 68% of his passes as a rookie (whoops, it was only 56.7%, worse than EJ this year).

It's embarrassing how impatient some fans are.

So if you don't believe that he is going to work on, among other things, his accuracy and mechanics, what do you think he is going to work on, his hair?

Manuel made a habit of throwing primarily to open receivers and stationary targets. He's not throwing receivers open the way you see the top QB's do. It's part of the reason why he maintains a low yards per attempt with a low completion percentage. I can't think of a worse pair of bad metrics to demonstrate future ability.

One other thing was he lacked touch on throws. I saw short throws that he rifled to the receiver and then medium throws without enough behind them.

Manuel made a habit of throwing primarily to open receivers and stationary targets. He's not throwing receivers open the way you see the top QB's do. It's part of the reason why he maintains a low yards per attempt with a low completion percentage. I can't think of a worse pair of bad metrics to demonstrate future ability.

One other thing was he lacked touch on throws. I saw short throws that he rifled to the receiver and then medium throws without enough behind them.

Do you think lack of practice time with his Wrs because of injuries could be a factor?

Fact, no young player ever improves. Peyton Manning completed 68% of his passes as a rookie (whoops, it was only 56.7%, worse than EJ this year).

It's embarrassing how impatient some fans are.

You know what's embarrassing? You twisting my words to make some generalized point about "fans." You contributed nothing by making a foolish post with a false dichotomy.

Anyway, how many QB's have revamped their mechanics in the NFL? The only one I can think of is Aaron Rodgers. A great QB to be sure, but is he the only one to ever change his mechanics? Or have others tried and failed? EJ's footwork is a mess, anyone can see that. Is that something he has the ability to cure with just "hard work?" Or does he also need a good teacher? I don't think we have a guy like McCarthy on our staff helping our QB.

Edited by FireChan

You know what's embarrassing? You twisting my words to make some generalized point about "fans." You contributed nothing by making a foolish post with a false dichotomy.

Anyway, how many QB's have revamped their mechanics in the NFL? The only one I can think of is Aaron Rodgers. A great QB to be sure, but is he the only one to ever change his mechanics? Or have others tried and failed? EJ's footwork is a mess, anyone can see that. Is that something he has the ability to cure with just "hard work?" Or does he also need a good teacher? I don't think we have a guy like McCarthy on our staff helping our QB.

You're always bashing EJ. I don't disagree that his footwork needs to improve. My hope is that Doug Marrone, who worked with Brees, made Nassib a potential 1st round pick when he was one of the worst Qbs I have seen before DM, recognizes this as well.

He missed 2 weeks of his first training camp & then another month of his rookie year. All of receivers this year missed time. What makes Manning so great is his timing. That is developed in practice. It's invaluable for Qbs & Wrs.

You're always bashing EJ. I don't disagree that his footwork needs to improve. My hope is that Doug Marrone, who worked with Brees, made Nassib a potential 1st round pick when he was one of the worst Qbs I have seen before DM, recognizes this as well.

He missed 2 weeks of his first training camp & then another month of his rookie year. All of receivers this year missed time. What makes Manning so great is his timing. That is developed in practice. It's invaluable for Qbs & Wrs.

I don't think I bash EJ nearly as much as you think.

Maybe Doug Marrone is our McCarthy, I certainly hope so. My point was that all the hard work in the world won't make as much of a difference as a good teacher when it comes to changing mechanics. I'm glad EJ isn't Jamarcus Russell. But he still needs help from outside sources.

If I were the team GM, I'd have another QB in here - either through FA or the draft - that could challenge EJ as the starter. That's because I don't assume he'll be a great QB based on what we've seen. However, I believe we'll know more certainly a year from now (barring a season ending injury) whether or not he'll be our guy. All the speculation until then is just that - speculation. The difference between me and what I assume the Bills would do, is that I wouldn't sacrifice another entire season on a QB prospect who hasn't shown, convincingly, that he CAN improve on those things which lend to good/great QB's. There's a debate as to whether those things are coachable or not.

My main argument for bringing in another QB in the draft is that at least we'll have a fall back option, and although you cannot magically make a QB appear, you'll always be able to get good value for a good QB - if you have 2.

I don't think I bash EJ nearly as much as you think.

Maybe Doug Marrone is our McCarthy, I certainly hope so. My point was that all the hard work in the world won't make as much of a difference as a good teacher when it comes to changing mechanics. I'm glad EJ isn't Jamarcus Russell. But he still needs help from outside sources.

I agree & my aplogizes if I lumped in correctly. I just get so frustrated with how quick some are to dismiss the kid. He definitely has work to do but he certainly had some very good moments & seems to have a great head on his shoulder. I think Bills fans put a lot of 14 years on players who have just gotten here.

I think it was SJBF who sugested that teams surround their Qbs with qb coaches because it's such a big investment. I also think a big time TE like Ebron would be huge for EJ. I like Chandler but he isn't dynamic enough.

If I were the team GM, I'd have another QB in here - either through FA or the draft - that could challenge EJ as the starter. That's because I don't assume he'll be a great QB based on what we've seen. However, I believe we'll know more certainly a year from now (barring a season ending injury) whether or not he'll be our guy. All the speculation until then is just that - speculation. The difference between me and what I assume the Bills would do, is that I wouldn't sacrifice another entire season on a QB prospect who hasn't shown, convincingly, that he CAN improve on those things which lend to good/great QB's. There's a debate as to whether those things are coachable or not.

My main argument for bringing in another QB in the draft is that at least we'll have a fall back option, and although you cannot magically make a QB appear, you'll always be able to get good value for a good QB - if you have 2.

My counter. You need to do everything in your power to see if EJ is the guy or not. If you use a high pick on a qb this year, you are losing a valuable resource to help out EJ. Also, if it's clear EJ isn't the guy next year, you can target a guy high next year and they will step into a very good situation.

I will say that Aaron Murray slipped to the 3rd, I'd pull the trigger on him. But it's EJ's job.