Any mechanics out there ?

Buffaloed in Pa

I need a little info,if there is. My sons 03 trailblazer was making noise and leaked gear oil on his left front axle seal After pulling the axle and seal ,I found his bearings and carrier,differential were bad. Anybody ever change one ?

No. I don't have the special bearing removal tool. I am pretty sure you need special tools to do the job?

I don't know,I heard you have to take down the oil pan and jack up the engine ? Can`t find a site with any info.

Not sure... Outta my league. I just dropped/fried my transmission on my Jeep right before Thanksgiving, had to have the thing get a master rebuild.... 1,000 bucks in parts, 1,000 bucks in labor... OUCH! No way I am doing that beast, got me over a barrel!

What about the Haynes Manual... Will it have something like that in there?

"Any doctors out there? My dad was having heart palpitations, so I cracked his chest and found an arterial blockage. Anyone ever put in a stent?"

Really...you've pulled the axle and the seal, and seen the bearings and diff are damaged. You're well beyond the "internet advice" stage of this activity. Good luck.

"Any doctors out there? My dad was having heart palpitations, so I cracked his chest and found an arterial blockage. Anyone ever put in a stent?"

Really...you've pulled the axle and the seal, and seen the bearings and diff are damaged. You're well beyond the "internet advice" stage of this activity. Good luck.

:bag:

Try here and look for really old guys:

http://www.cityofmechanicsville.net

. . . a petition by local citizens was presented to the Cedar County Court for incorporation of the towns of Iroquois and Mechanicsville into a single town to be known as Mechanicsville. This name had been chosen because most of the men in the early days of settlement were mechanics.

Your analogy is stupid. Don't be an idiot. :-P :-P You are the guy that didn't want to dig around your house and shelled out bukoo bucks to hire an excavator. I paid 2 grand for a rebuild on a transmission. To each his own.

Your argument doesn't really hold water, it is a simple machine. The vehicle doesn't go and it is over 10 years old. If it isn't that important to get it up and running (he said it was his son's vehicle), meaning they have another vehicle to use in the meantime. Why not crack into it? See what you can do. Anyway, like they said, they are going to spend the 250 and get a used one, bolt it up and go. If he took it to a mechanic, he is probably looking @ over a grand. How much is the car worth?

Not a bad plan for an old machine. What more can they do to it? Heck, maybe they bolt up the used one and now have time to rebuild the old one. Keep it or sell that one to somebody. If a used one is going for 250, gotta be dirt cheap to rebuild themselves. ??

Maybe they figured somebody would know... Nothing is really that complicated, it is about having the tools and time to figure it out. Some people just roll that way. I had guys @ work offer to bolt up a used transmission on my vehicle. They were like: "No way I am spending 2 grand on a rebuild!" I am like: "Great, but I preferred spending the extra grand, getting a 24k/2yr warranty and not dealing w/the headache... Oh, and have it next week." Maybe some people just don't have the means (he said it was his son's) or don't want to spend it on the SERVICE.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Your analogy is stupid. Don't be an idiot. :-P :-P You are the guy that didn't want to dig around your house and shelled out bukoo bucks to hire an excavator. I paid 2 grand for a rebuild on a transmission. To each his own.

Is that what Buckaroo Bonzai spends when he's out fighting aliens??

Go to your NAPA or ORielly or small local parts place where you buy it on your own. Strike up a convo with the guys on what you need. Talk to someone over 40, make sure they have dirty hands and most importantly, make sure they ask YOU a lot of questions about the vehicle. That's the guy who will tell you how to do or know who to get you to that can. DIY is 50% doing it, 50% gathering information from experienced folks.

Avoid Auto zone advance or carquest unless you know you have someone there to trust.

Your argument doesn't really hold water, it is a simple machine. The vehicle doesn't go and it is over 10 years old. If it isn't that important to get it up and running (he said it was his son's vehicle), meaning they have another vehicle to use in the meantime. Why not crack into it? See what you can do. Anyway, like they said, they are going to spend the 250 and get a used one, bolt it up and go. If he took it to a mechanic, he is probably looking @ over a grand. How much is the car worth?

Not a bad plan for an old machine. What more can they do to it? Heck, maybe they bolt up the used one and now have time to rebuild the old one. Keep it or sell that one to somebody. If a used one is going for 250, gotta be dirt cheap to rebuild themselves. ??

Maybe they figured somebody would know... Nothing is really that complicated, it is about having the tools and time to figure it out. Some people just roll that way. I had guys @ work offer to bolt up a used transmission on my vehicle. They were like: "No way I am spending 2 grand on a rebuild!" I am like: "Great, but I preferred spending the extra grand, getting a 24k/2yr warranty and not dealing w/the headache... Oh, and have it next week." Maybe some people just don't have the means (he said it was his son's) or don't want to spend it on the SERVICE.

My point being that when you're up to your elbows in a job and THEN decide "hey, maybe I need some advice," you might need to rethink your problem-solving paradigm. Way to miss it.

And what the !@#$ are you talking about, digging around my house? Even if I HAD, I wouldn't have gotten halfway through the job and said "Hey, maybe I should have someone mark out the gas line."

My point being that when you're up to your elbows in a job and THEN decide "hey, maybe I need some advice," you might need to rethink your problem-solving paradigm. Way to miss it.

And what the !@#$ are you talking about, digging around my house? Even if I HAD, I wouldn't have gotten halfway through the job and said "Hey, maybe I should have someone mark out the gas line."

It is only an axle and diff. It isn't like landing on the moon. He's biting the bullet and getting one he can just bolt up (60k miles on it). Way to over think this!

Sorry, I must be mistaken... I thought JiA gave you crap a bunch of years ago for not doing your own exacavation... Must have been somebody else that didn't want to save a ton of money.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Still not getting the point! Re-read my post and try again.

No. There is no point to get. You are way over thinking this. The car does not run or is tore up, he took it apart to take a look see. What's the problem? Things don't work out, he bolts up a whole other used one for $250. No need to get uptight... It is just an axle and diff... Not the end of the world. Maybe he hits the jackpot, somebody helps him and he saves a ton of dough. My God... You comparing this to installing a stent on your father is hysterical.

No. There is no point to get. You are way over thinking this. The car does not run or is tore up, he took it apart to take a look see. What's the problem? Things don't work out, he bolts up a whole other used one for $250. No need to get uptight... It is just an axle and diff... Not the end of the world. Maybe he hits the jackpot, somebody helps him and he saves a ton of dough. My God... You comparing this to installing a stent on your father is hysterical.

And you operate heavy machinery for a living. How on earth do you survive your job?

And you operate heavy machinery for a living. How on earth do you survive your job?

By not following your dumbazz uptight logic. :-P This isn't academia... It is an axle and diff.

Hey,Illinois. I`m going to rip into it this weekend,everything you said is true. I don`t mind getting my hands dirty,got a couple weeks before the boy goes back to school. Let you know how it goes.

LoL... Exactly!

I need a little info,if there is. My sons 03 trailblazer was making noise and leaked gear oil on his left front axle seal After pulling the axle and seal ,I found his bearings and carrier,differential were bad. Anybody ever change one ?

You lost me at "...gear oil". Now if you needed to know how to check tire pressure or fill the windshield washer fluid, I'd be all over this thread like a pro.