S***Hole School In Queens: How Does This Happen?

the kid's obviously very bright. he'd likely do well academically and personally being educated in a wide variety of settings. kids like him aren't the ones that education in america is failing. although, he could use some work on presentation. a bit too rehearsed and canned. nobody uses neurobiology and stoked in a spontaneous sentence together. maybe he should study this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBx2Y5HhplI

So instead if listening to his message you critique his presentation. Just like the majority if educators in this country would have done. His message. and mine, was look at the result of being taught by someone who cares and knows him. Someone who asked him "how can I help YOU?" We educate out kids to be something not someone.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So instead if listening to his message you critique his presentation. Just like the majority if educators in this country would have done. His message. and mine, was look at the result of being taught by someone who cares and knows him. Someone who asked him "how can I help YOU?" We educate out kids to be something not someone.

his message doesn't apply to many kids, especially those in schools like that discussed in this thread. he's happy now and wants to grow up bto be happy. that's wise but not applicable to many kids that aren't happy now. i can't imagine too many homeless kids being too happy and there are a record number right now. the message lacks perspective that this kid likely has had no way of gaining.

his message doesn't apply to many kids, especially those in schools like that discussed in this thread. he's happy now and wants to grow up bto be happy. that's wise but not applicable to many kids that aren't happy now. i can't imagine too many homeless kids being too happy and there are a record number right now. the message lacks perspective that this kid likely has had no way of gaining.

So kids are either bright like him or homeless. Got it. :rolleyes:

So kids are either bright like him or homeless. Got it. :rolleyes:

he's unusual...extraordinary. that's why he's on stage at a big event. his insight might well be useful to some or even many students but it's not likely to help kids who live an economic quantum leap away from where he does.

he's unusual...extraordinary. that's why he's on stage at a big event. his insight might well be useful to some or even many students but it's not likely to help kids who live an economic quantum leap away from where he does.

If only there was something individual people could do to help reduce the number of children in poverty.

hmmm, eugenics? no, thought you wouldn't go there.

You progressives sure obsess about the oddest things.

Try not having children until you can afford them. Or let's start small and stop providing federal and state incentive programs that give more money everytime irresponsible, poor parents have another baby they can't afford.

Yeah you're right. !@#$ it. Let's stick with the status quo.

Funny how quickly progressives become anti-progressive when that progressiveness requires removing the government subsidy.

Focused involvement from parents, or parental-like role models, working with the child they care about is not something that needs to be unique to those in the upper tax brackets. In fact, it's something that doesn't have a cost attached to it, that every parent can, and should provide.

Focused involvement from parents, or parental-like role models, working with the child they care about is not something that needs to be unique to those in the upper tax brackets.

Yes it does because...health care! Bush! Shut up!

Ski and be happy! Employers will beat the door down for those kids! LoL

Isn't this what got us into the whole mess.

20 years of schooling, stick him (even though I thought he was a girl for the first 1:40) on the day shift!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Focused involvement from parents, or parental-like role models, working with the child they care about is not something that needs to be unique to those in the upper tax brackets. In fact, it's something that doesn't have a cost attached to it, that every parent can, and should provide.

no one gets to pick their parents...so i guess we're back to eugenics. wouldn't surprise me at all if you were a proponent.

no one gets to pick their parents...so i guess we're back to eugenics. wouldn't surprise me at all if you were a proponent.

What a ridiculous argument. There are so many ways to stem the tide of bad parenting, and when someone discusses options, you come up with some ridiculous excuse why it won't work and yell "I bet you support eugenics!"

Take off your predictably lazy progressive mullet for just a minute and tell us...what do YOU think are the top three reasons there are so many economically disadvantaged students, and how would you combat the problem?

Bonus points if all of your solutions don't involve giving someone or something more money.

Annnnnnd go!

Edited by LABillzFan

the best and brightest are not going in to teaching. why would they? there is an outright war on public education in some parts of the country. north carolina is the poster child. guess which side of the aisle composes the attackers? unfortunately, many people can't afford private schools but most of them don't vote republican. yes, there are some very bad teachers around. there are also some amazing ones. the answer is to weed out the bad and incentivize enough good to retain and recruit them to public education. i'm guessing that's not what you all imagine as the solution.

When have they ever gone into teaching? Since when does teaching require our best and brightest?

What a ridiculous argument. There are so many ways to stem the tide of bad parenting, and when someone discusses options, you come up with some ridiculous excuse why it won't work and yell "I bet you support eugenics!"

Take off your predictably lazy progressive mullet for just a minute and tell us...what do YOU think are the top three reasons there are so many economically disadvantaged students, and how would you combat the problem?

Bonus points if all of your solutions don't involve giving someone or something more money.

Annnnnnd go!

i would start with a greater emphasis on discipline. not corporal punishment but loss of rights and privileges and even shaming. failing a grade wouild become more common again. there would be a limit to unacceptable behavior with suspensions and eventually expulsion if the student will not respond. before expulsion, investigation into the students social situation would be done preferrably by a social worker but if not possible by a teacher and available aid offered. evaluation by a pediatrician before expulsion would also be beneficial to rule out organic causes. ultimately, however, some kids would be expelled.i'd raise the minimum wage so fewer parents would need to work 2 jobs and have more time with their kids.i'd incentivize teaching as a career more, especially in poorer neighborhoods where less are apt to want to work. i'd require competency testing (both practical and written testing - sort of board certification for teachers) for teachers and administrators and remove those who didn't meet minimum criteria. i'd reward teachers with excellent outcomes financially. measuring those outcomes is tricky but i'd leave that up to experts in the field rather than legislators that come up with things like SOL's.i'd offer more vocational training to those clearly not suited for higher academic pursuits.i'd offer polytechnics in place of universities for those somewhere in between.a few off the cuff ideas.might cost more initially, but may well cost less over time as the need or public assistance and more prisons decrease.

i would start with a greater emphasis on discipline. not corporal punishment but loss of rights and privileges and even shaming. failing a grade wouild become more common again. there would be a limit to unacceptable behavior with suspensions and eventually expulsion if the student will not respond. before expulsion, investigation into the students social situation would be done preferrably by a social worker but if not possible by a teacher and available aid offered. evaluation by a pediatrician before expulsion would also be beneficial to rule out organic causes. ultimately, however, some kids would be expelled.i'd raise the minimum wage so fewer parents would need to work 2 jobs and have more time with their kids.i'd incentivize teaching as a career more, especially in poorer neighborhoods where less are apt to want to work. i'd require competency testing (both practical and written testing - sort of board certification for teachers) for teachers and administrators and remove those who didn't meet minimum criteria. i'd reward teachers with excellent outcomes financially. measuring those outcomes is tricky but i'd leave that up to experts in the field rather than legislators that come up with things like SOL's.i'd offer more vocational training to those clearly not suited for higher academic pursuits.i'd offer polytechnics in place of universities for those somewhere in between.a few off the cuff ideas.might cost more initially, but may well cost less over time as the need or public assistance and more prisons decrease.

Shaming? Not only does that promote bullying, and we can't have that...but this entire board is a testament to the absolute ineffectiveness of shaming as a disciplinary method. Allow me to demonstrate:

You're an idiot.