I want to make indian food...i need some assistance...

The Poojer

Thanks. I should have clarified, my co-worker brought me the spices back from a visit back home to india, they aren't mccormick. i did ask her this morning what to do...basically she said to do the spices correctly you add the mustard to hot oil, once that pops you add the cumin seed and the ajavin, once the cumin turns pinkish add chili and garlic and some water, then add the chicken that she said to marinate in yogurt, turmeric, garam masala. cook the chicken that way, turn off the stove once the chicken is done, add some more garam masala and cilantro and put the lid on the pan.

somewhere i missed out on doing a gravy of pureed onions, garlic & ginger with tomatoes

Pooj, not that I'm an expert now, but I once was a pasty white guy who wanted to recreate my favorite indian dishes at home and when I was starting off I learned a few things the hard way. Now I'm a pasty white guy who makes a few passable indian dishes.

1. Finding an indian grocer is imperative or else you'll go broke buying 50 bottles of McCormick's spices. Investing in a spice grinder and buying whole spices is worthwhile.

2. Pick simple and familiar dishes at first. I found chickpea curries (chana masala) and spinach dishes (saag) to be pretty accessible for the novice indian cook. I got my ass handed to me when I tried to make a korma right off the bat. I still can't muster the courage to attempt a real biryani.

3. Understand why you do the things you do. Aromatics, blooming spices in oil, liquid/deglaze, meat and veg, simmer. That is every basic stew/braise ever, whether its French, Mexican or indian. Following recipes is fine, but your final product and enjoyment really takes off when you get whats happening at each step. Then you can really customize and tailor to your taste. Also, you don't wind up with vindaloo all over your nice cookbooks.

4. Pick a reliable source for recipes. I like Madhur Jaffrey's books. When choosing a source, any mention of curry powder is grounds for immediate disqualification.

5. Invest in a rice cooker.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Within my travels, different parts of India make different types of dishes. Like Chinese food, the food style varies from city to city, for example the South of the country is mostly vegetarian dishes.

IMO, it's difficult to replicate Indian food at home but I think what is key is fresh ingredients and spices. Getting fresh ground spices can be tricky but result in the best flavor. Also, taking a "low and slow" approach help's enhance the flavor.

Indeed. Broadly -

Most restaurant food in the US is of the North Indian variety. The 'tandoor' and 'tikka' dishes qualify as such.

South Indian generally tend towards the dosas (crepes), idlis, vadas with sambar.

In West, there are more variety in veggies and lentils with a heavy influence of coconut

East also has coconut bases with more fish dishes

Pooj, not that I'm an expert now, but I once was a pasty white guy who wanted to recreate my favorite indian dishes at home and when I was starting off I learned a few things the hard way. Now I'm a pasty white guy who makes a few passable indian dishes.

Good advice in your overall post. Another reference is a celebrity chef called Sanjeev Kapoor http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/. He tends to be a bit 'showy' so don't get intimidated by the presentation etc.

somewhere i missed out on doing a gravy of pureed onions, garlic & ginger with tomatoes

I like Indian gravies based on these ingredients so I may be a bit biased. But if you can handle coconut, you can look for recipes which call for it. There are coconut milk cans instead of having to grate your own. But that is a different style of cooking with mellow flavor

pic?

Dammit, beat me to it.

Thanks. I should have clarified, my co-worker brought me the spices back from a visit back home to india, they aren't mccormick. i did ask her this morning what to do...basically she said to do the spices correctly you add the mustard to hot oil, once that pops you add the cumin seed and the ajavin, once the cumin turns pinkish add chili and garlic and some water, then add the chicken that she said to marinate in yogurt, turmeric, garam masala. cook the chicken that way, turn off the stove once the chicken is done, add some more garam masala and cilantro and put the lid on the pan.

Not all indian dishes will have onion and garlic. Some do not eat onions and garlic for religious reasons.

I don't think there's anything wrong with McCormick's spices, but you can get the same thing for much cheaper at any dedicated indian grocery store. The cost of buying spices at Wegmans/Tops will prevent many people from even attempting indian dishes.

Beef. Lots and lots of beef.

Vindaloo beef done well......and very spicy......is the greatest indian dish, IMO. Unfortunately, many indians don't eat the cow so not available at many indian restaruants. Goat is the beef substitute and not nearly as good.