Jairus Byrd is NO Earl Thomas

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both Baldwin and Tate are UFAs this offseason as well I believe, as are pass rushers Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett.

I can't remember who, but there is a poster here who lives in Seattle and was posting during the Seattle-NO MNF game that based upon their contract situations, this is really the year Seattle needs to win the SB or their window shuts based on cap room and FAs. Edited by YoloinOhio

P was a SS when a SS was a strong safety. And he was on the Pittsburgh D who has been stacked with LB's

Much like Reed who was a FS who had the entire field to himself.

Polamalu was utilized like no other safety before him. Just a unique athlete in every regard. I give Dick LeBeau a ton of credit for finding ways to take advantage of that ability.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't remember who, but there is a poster here who lives in Seattle and was posting during the Seattle-NO MNF game that based upon their contract situations, this is really the year Seattle needs to win the SB or their window shuts based on cap room and FAs.

it gets real tight real fast. Wilsons deal will change their roster greatly, but there are a few others in the short term that will start get them back into the same talent level as teams like the pats, saints, etc.... (ie where guys already got paid and you are maintaining instead of building).

Edited by NoSaint

Put Byrd on the Seahawks and he does the same stuff. Maybe more. You can't compare his performance behind the Bills front 7 and Thomas behind one of the best fronts in football.

Agreed. They are both in the top 3 of their position.

It also goes to show how important the position has become. The Bills drafting Whitner #8 doesn't seem so crazy (they just picked the wrong guy).

If those stats are accurate (I have no reason to think they are not, and too lazy to look myself) that is pretty damn impressive....Byrd isn't the hitter that the other two guys are...but nowadays, all that does is get you a flag...turnovers are huge! I will admit, I am one who is in the "let him fly if he doesn't want to be here....don't overpay him" camp..but those are impressive numbers.

I double checked for you....the numbers are indeed correct.

The "don't overpay him" concept could perhaps be put into some perspective. Paying him what he wants would likely mean that we land the 3 times pro bowl turnover machine Byrd, for slightly more($9m/year?) than what the Titans paid for the pretty good Levitre($7.8m/year).

Value for money I would say that is pretty good.....particularly since by year 3+ his contract numbers would likely be eclipsed by the bigger 2015/2016 safety contracts(providing even better value).

Put Byrd on the Seahawks and he does the same stuff. Maybe more. You can't compare his performance behind the Bills front 7 and Thomas behind one of the best fronts in football.

earl thomas plays a much more physical style of football than byrd they are different in their approach

i would actually give a slight nod to byrd when it comes to catching and ball skills, but thomas is a much better tackler and plays at a higher intensity level and all around makes more plays

Byrd's style of play relies more on smarts and study than on physical aggression. He knows the tendencies of the opponents and often "just happens" to be where the ball is thrown -- yeah right. He's where he is because he knows where to go.

Except for his foot problems he's also likely to last a lot more years than the kamikazes playing safety for other teams.

If the Bills can re=sign him they should do what it takes.