The Affordable Care Act II - Because Mr. Obama Loves You All

Republicans would not go there of course. After 7 years they have no clue how to fix ACA

If they don't fix ACA, 2018 and 20 will

That's not what I'm responding to.

You said that premiums would go down under a Medicare-for-all approach and that's not how it works.

Medicare pays for 80% which is the Lion's share of the claims. Medicare pays for the claims via a fixed tax rate based on your income. Taxes would essentially be the premiums in this case.

Unless of course you were talking about Medicare Advantage or Supplements and even then Medicare Advantage still wouldn't apply, the only true premiums in this would be through Medicare supplements. But that only accounts for 20% of the claims.

I guess what I'm saying is that your statement didn't make sense.

@pewresearch

Public support for ‘single payer’ health coverage grows, driven by Democrats http://pewrsr.ch/2u7OTtwDFHTU5TXoAAultl.jpg

@davidfrum
David Frum Retweeted Pew Research Center

Hard for Republicans to accept this, but Dems thought of ACA as itself a compromise …

That doesn't surprise me. It's the direction that the left wing is moving towards and my guess is that if the healthcare system in the U.S continues to flounder as it has pre and current ACA then we'll probably begin to see even independents move that direction.

That's not what I'm responding to.

You said that premiums would go down under a Medicare-for-all approach and that's not how it works.

Medicare pays for 80% which is the Lion's share of the claims. Medicare pays for the claims via a fixed tax rate based on your income. Taxes would essentially be the premiums in this case.

Unless of course you were talking about Medicare Advantage or Supplements and even then Medicare Advantage still wouldn't apply, the only true premiums in this would be through Medicare supplements. But that only accounts for 20% of the claims.

I guess what I'm saying is that your statement didn't make sense.

That doesn't surprise me. It's the direction that the left wing is moving towards and my guess is that if the healthcare system in the U.S continues to flounder as it has pre and current ACA then we'll probably begin to see even independents move that direction.

I'm on medicare , I know how it works.

I went to ER a bill for $3,228

Medicare paid $256

Advantage paid $177

I paid $324

Hospitals and private Drs would go berserk at that reimbursement

I'm on medicare , I know how it works.

I went to ER a bill for $3,228

Medicare paid $256

Advantage paid $177

I paid $324

Hospitals and private Drs would go berserk at that reimbursement

That's all well and good, but that still has nothing to do with premiums.

Right, but that's not the entire true premium of how a Medicare plan has been priced because the recipient has been paying taxes on it for a number of years before they receive their first dollar in benefits. If one were to calculate the premium that recipient paid (which would be impossible to do until he/she passes away), you would have to calculate their entire life's worth of Medicare tax contributions, plus post 65 premiums plus whatever Advantage/supplement plan premiums they have and divide it by the number of months they lived after turning 65 or the inception of their Medicare enrollment. That would be the true premium that person paid.

So when you say that premiums could fall 60% plus if we went to a Medicare-for-all plan, that could only be true on a per recipient means if the government decided to lower Medicare taxes, because that's where most of the "premiums" would come from, not from what you are paying after you become a Medicare enrollee.

Theres no way someone over 65 should be paying 1/5th of what I am for much better coverage than I have.

This is what I'm talking about.

That's not how it works. Read above

Read more here

Edited by Magox

Theres no way someone over 65 should be paying 1/5th of what I am for much better coverage than I have.

This is what I'm talking about.

The current Social Security tax rate is 6.2% for both employers and employees, and the 2017 maximum earnings amount subject to Social Security tax is $127,200.

That tax should be what you earn over that max. Medicare tax should also be much higher for your lifetime work.

This is what politicians decided not reasonable of course.

Right, but that's not the entire true premium of how a Medicare plan has been priced because the recipient has been paying taxes on it for a number of years before they receive their first dollar in benefits. If one were to calculate the premium that recipient paid (which would be impossible to do until he/she passes away), you would have to calculate their entire life's worth of Medicare tax contributions, plus post 65 premiums plus whatever Advantage/supplement plan premiums they have and divide it by the number of months they lived after turning 65 or the inception of their Medicare enrollment. That would be the true premium that person paid.

So when you say that premiums could fall 60% plus if we went to a Medicare-for-all plan, that could only be true on a per recipient means if the government decided to lower Medicare taxes, because that's where most of the "premiums" would come from, not from what you are paying after you become a Medicare enrollee.

That's not how it works. Read above

Read more here

Your own article contradicts your post.

:lol:

Let’s quote Mr. Obama himself from an appearance last September before an American Association of Retired Persons audience: “I want to emphasize, Medicare and Social Security are not handouts. You’ve paid into these programs your whole lives. You’ve earned them.”

To this we say, weelllll, not really. The situation is more complicated than that.

As it stands now, these entitlements are ponzi schemes, taking from workers and giving to retirees.

Edited by joesixpack

As it stands now, these entitlements are ponzi schemes, taking from workers and giving to retirees.

Tell that to the politicians who made these plans. I had no say what so ever.

The future of healthcare is what you tell your representatives what to do. I don't think they will even listen.

Tell that to the politicians who made these plans. I had no say what so ever.

The future of healthcare is what you tell your representatives what to do. I don't think they will even listen.

No, too many geriatrics would come at them.

It'd be like night of the living dead in DC.

.@CoryBooker: Trumps Idea to Let Obamacare Fail Is Evil and Sinister

It is interesting that Senator Booker concedes that Obamacare will fail as is......................seems like that would be newsworthy

What government programs would not fail without constant tweaking? Literally our whole government would fail if Congress couldn't pass a new budget. What, do you think Social Securiry has been untouched since the 1970s?

Personally I think Republicans need to play ball and start thinking about how to make the public/private mix work best. The country's opinion is already turning towards a single payer system. I personally believe a hybrid is the best way to go but if they let the hybrid fail they will lose people very fast.

The Republicans are split, the Democrats will never vote for a Republican plan, so nothing is going to happen until either the Democrats see it in their advantage to work with the Republicans or the ACA is repealed. The Democrats have shouldered the blame for the ACA for nearly 8 years and would like nothing better than a new plan, all Republican, to switch who gets the blame. Washington politics as usual.

Except it was their guy that championed it and signed it, so they'll defend it whatever it takes even though it sucks.

It's good if you get the Medicaid subsidy. Otherwise, not so much IMHO.