Bills D finishes #1 in NFL in yards allowed per drive

Big Turk

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much fun was it watching teams GASH us running the ball? The defense is improved, but needs more help. Scott Pioli thinks the Bills need "another pass rusher" and I agree with him. Get K. Mack and D. McClullen with our first 2 picks, Fiedorowicz with the 3rd and we're playoff bound.

Is that a contradiction ?

you agree with yet another pass rusher ?

The priority should be getting a player or two for Pettine to stop the run. I would suggest an Ilb backer who upgrades Moats

and Bradham at the same time. Geez , Dansby had quite a year.

and draft a fat kid who pushes the center and both guards back.

At safety all depends on Byrd. But Searcy has become darned good in the box and playing the run. and A williams can play the

whole field really .

But Skycap ..Coach Mike will be focused to gain respectablity against the run By hook or by crook , whether with player upgrades and or scheme adjustments.

It will done. hesgotta be pissed about those big plays and the high risk high reward is not the definitive answer for success.

Maybe they were just showing off. With all those stats . Like sacks and INT and turnovers and such

Get the fat kid and fix the Linebacker depth with some stud like player. We all have one in mind dont we ?

Edited by 3rdand12

Is that a contradiction ?

you agree with yet another pass rusher ?

The priority should be getting a player or two for Pettine to stop the run. I would suggest an Ilb backer who upgrades Moats

and Bradham at the same time. Geez , Dansby had quite a year.

and draft a fat kid who pushes the center and both guards back.

At safety all depends on Byrd. But Searcy has become darned good in the box and playing the run. and A williams can play the

whole field really .

But Skycap ..Coach Mike will be focused to gain respectablity against the run By hook or by crook , whether with player upgrades and or scheme adjustments.

It will done. hesgotta be pissed about those big plays and the high risk high reward is not the definitive answer for success.

Maybe they were just showing off. With all those stats . Like sacks and INT and turnovers and such

Get the fat kid and fix the Linebacker depth with some stud like player. We all have one in mind dont we ?

Mack is the other pass rusher and McCullers is a 6'6 377lb run stuffer or as my favorite ex-Bills radio personality(the Coach) used to call them "slobborknockers"

How much fun was it watching teams GASH us running the ball? The defense is improved, but needs more help. Scott Pioli thinks the Bills need "another pass rusher" and I agree with him. Get K. Mack and D. McClullen with our first 2 picks, Fiedorowicz with the 3rd and we're playoff bound.

Or you can actually play better offense so that the style of defense can yleld maximum results. While you are trying to patch every hole on the defensive depth chart years will pass by and erode if from within. BTW, I think the Bills do need another pass rusher to replace Hughes when he leaves in free agency, but not because they can't rush the passer. They lead the NFL in sacks. A team record.

I think that Mack is the most complete defensive player in this draft. He reminds me of a bigger Lance Briggs (when he was younger). He can drop into coverage, rush the passer and play the run. I am really convinced that he is the guy that the Bills want but I just don't think that he will be there (I think that he goes to Atlanta at 6).

I think that Mack is the most complete defensive player in this draft. He reminds me of a bigger Lance Briggs (when he was younger). He can drop into coverage, rush the passer and play the run. I am really convinced that he is the guy that the Bills want but I just don't think that he will be there (I think that he goes to Atlanta at 6).

This was my perspective on K mack. And if true is what we wish for . as you mention he might well be an early pick at this point. But in theory...latch key .

And then a slobberknocker. Bills get more schematic and playbook ceiling . and Pettine has more fun. Pettine stays on the team due to said expected fun

Sky cap , i love the slobbernockers. The dirty work. Branch is a step forward . He just needs to get his hands up more in those passing lanes like Carrington

Bills D allowed 25.78 yards per drive, number 1 in the NFL, even more impressive considering they faced 209 drives against, most in the NFL(33 more than the average of 186)...

Bills D finished 4th in Defensive DVOA at -13.4 behind only Seattle, Carolina and Arizona a year after finishing 27th, despite having the 2nd worst opponent starting field position, averaging a drive start at their own 31 yard line(thanks offense)

D finished 4th in plays per drive, 6th in TOP per drive, 4th in drive success rate, 8th in punts per drive , 13th in 3 and outs per drive, 6th in both points and touchdowns per redzone appearance...

Finished 10th in total yards allowed, 6th in yards per play, and the reason other teams seemingly converted so many 3rd downs against us is because we forced more 3rd downs than any other team in the NFL(245), even tho at 37% we were 13th in the NFL...

Pretty impressive and shows how much improvement can happen in one year...

On the flip side, the Bears were the reverse of us, going from #1 in defensive DVOA last year to 25th this year...

Good info; thanks!

Or you can actually play better offense so that the style of defense can yleld maximum results. While you are trying to patch every hole on the defensive depth chart years will pass by and erode if from within. BTW, I think the Bills do need another pass rusher to replace Hughes when he leaves in free agency, but not because they can't rush the passer. They lead the NFL in sacks. A team record.

Actually, they ended up #2 in sacks because Carolina sacked Matt Ryan 9 times (!) in the final game. Brady barely threw it in the final game, so they only sacked him once. The Bills ended up with 57 sacks to Carolina's 60. Still, it was a great season and they set the team record by a good distance.

Interesting analysis. This team is some consistent QB play away from being very good. If they fix the run D problems this D will be monstrous.

That "IF" is pretty big. I would correct it to say IF they fix the run problems AND maintain the pressure on the QB, the D will be monstrous. Many teams can stop 1 thing.

Here's a stat I would like to see. Compare the average yards rushing per game for each of the Bills opponents this year prior to playing the Bills, with the number of rushing yards they got against the

Bills. Except for the second Miami game, when the Fish stupidly never really tried to establish the run, I think the Bills always gave up more rushing yards. Every team with a rushing disorder got healthy by playing Buffalo.

Sacks and interceptions are really important in today's passing-mad NFL, but if you can't stop the run you can't win consistently.

How about for the last half of the season... (not including QB rushes/scrambles)

Week 17 - Pats 263 yds rushing

They averaged 119.9 yds prior to the game.

Week 16 - Dolphins 14 yds rushing

They averaged 95.3 yds prior to the game.

Week 15 - Jaguars 137 yds rushing

They averaged 76.6 yds prior to the game.

Week 14 - Buccaneers 153 yds rushing

They averaged 106.2 yds prior to the game.

Week 13 - Falcons 124 yds rushing

They averaged 74.7 yds prior to the game.

Week 12 - Bye Week

Week 11 - Jets 125 yds rushing

They averaged 129 yds prior to the game.

Week 10 - Steelers  95 yds rushing

They averaged 73.6 yds prior to the game.

Week 9 - Chiefs 97 yds rushing

They averaged 122 yds prior to the game.