Kiko was neutralized by the Pats

Jkgobills

First and foremost, Kiko was an excellent addition to the Bills this year who played great football for a first year MLB, and good football throughout the year. He will be an important and vital piece of this team as it finds future success.

After re-watching the Bills v Pats game from week 17, it became clear that the Pats had a great game plan to neutralize Alonso and had several large running plays right at him. The pats consistently were able to get an O lineman onto Alonso and seal him away from making the tackle. Kiko had great difficulty separating from these blocks.

Kiko was also the target of their FB on several plays. One in particular went for a big gain by L Blount.

IF Kiko is going to be our MLB, he is going to need to add some bulk. He looks about 10-15 pounds lighter now, than he did prior to the pre season. This already on a thin frame. Hopefully, gaining some weight will help him deal with all of the attention he will be getting from the opposing teams O Line.

IF Kiko is going to be our MLB, we may want to consider changing one of our DTs for a "space eater" type rather than a penetration type player. This may help to keep Kiko clean, and allow him to make plays with his incredible athleticism and instincts. This in no way is meant to be construed as a "get rid of Dareus" statement.

Another option would be to move him to a WLB position.

The game tape is there in how to stop Kiko, the Bills need to figure out the counter punch.

My apologies if this belongs in another thread. The other Kiko thread was a lot of fun, but I thought this may generate a separate discussion.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost, Kiko was an excellent addition to the Bills this year who played great football for a first year MLB, and good football throughout the year. He will be an important and vital piece of this team as it finds future success.

After re-watching the Bills v Pats game from week 17, it became clear that the Pats had a great game plan to neutralize Alonso and had several large running plays right at him. The pats consistently were able to get an O lineman onto Alonso and seal him away from making the tackle. Kiko had great difficulty separating from these blocks.

Kiko was also the target of their FB on several plays. One in particular went for a big gain by L Blount.

IF Kiko is going to be our MLB, he is going to need to add some bulk. He looks about 10-15 pounds lighter now, than he did prior to the pre season. This already on a thin frame. Hopefully, gaining some weight will help him deal with all of the attention he will be getting from the opposing teams O Line.

IF Kiko is going to be our MLB, we may want to consider changing one of our DTs for a "space eater" type rather than a penetration type player. This may help to keep Kiko clean, and allow him to make plays with his incredible athleticism and instincts. This in no way is meant to be construed as a "get rid of Dareus" statement.

The game tape is there in how to stop Kiko, the Bills need to figure out the counter punch.

My apologies if this belongs in another thread. The other Kiko thread was a lot of fun, but I thought this may generate a separate discussion.

The Pats did most of their damage in the run game with Dareus watching from the sidelines. I'm betting he would have helped to keep Kiko clean to allow for a bigger impact.

I am pretty sure he is going to be moved to the weak side once they have a MLB to replace him. This is a great thread, haven't seen it discussed yet.

I am pretty sure he is going to be moved to the weak side once they have a MLB to replace him. This is a great thread, haven't seen it discussed yet.

As the WLB would his role in covering the TE change? When we drafted him it seemed like he was the prototype to cover Gronkowski, Henandez (pre jail), and other TEs.

Well said.

NE did most of their damage without Dareus.

Even if the film is now out on how to neutralize Kiko, I don't think most teams have the athletic ability of the NE offensive line. They get to the second level fast.

It appeared to me that Kiko may have worn down over the course of the season. If that did happen it is understandable. I'm expecting the addition of another playmaking LB to really help him, along with another year of experience.

I agree that Buffalo needs a true thumper to take over MLB duties which would allow Kiko to slide to his natural position at WLB.

One of the nice things about our current roster, is that we already have the personel to play LB on passing downs, so any MLB we acquire doesn't need to be a 3 down player.

How was the Bills run D the other 15 games?

To answer your question, it was not good. This was the first time I saw a team so successfully target Kiko and take him out of plays.

Well said.

NE did most of their damage without Dareus.

Even if the film is now out on how to neutralize Kiko, I don't think most teams have the athletic ability of the NE offensive line. They get to the second level fast.

It appeared to me that Kiko may have worn down over the course of the season. If that did happen it is understandable. I'm expecting the addition of another playmaking LB to really help him, along with another year of experience.

Excellent points. I think Kiko's being worn down was visible in his arms, neck and torso size by end of season.

The defensive game plan for a game that was going to be played in a hurricane stunk. But thats who we are....a pressure and penetrate get to the QB first D. Cutback lanes will be there and NE did a great job exploiting us.

That's what the Jets were too when Pettine was there. What was the one thing you could do on the Jets? You could run it..difficult as hell to throw it. Thats what we are.

I think once Dareus came back things settled down. All this being said Kiko was lost and struggled. But he his a freaking beast. If you can, go back and look at the play where Mankins pulled and led up on Kiko. It was a big Blount run....but Kiko absolutely flattens Mankins and Mankins got hurt. Just a beast.

No concerns at all with Kiko going forward.

Edited by Big Blitz

People were saying that Ray Lewis was over the hill after the Ravens lost Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams.

He found the fountain of youth after the Ravens added Haloti Ngata and Kelly Gregg.

Linebacking is very important for good run defense but having a stout defensive line to play behind is just as important if not more so.

There was a thread last week about drafting D-line talent although the OP actually was talking about adding a two-gap run stopper.

The Bills seem to use a one-gap scheme but there are defenses that run a hybrid with a two-gapper in the center of it.

I agree with others that Kiko will probably be our WOLB next year, I like many others was considering spending our first on Mack but I was swayed by the augment that the Bills bring in a Nickle CB about 55% of the time meaning our MLB would only be on the field about 45% of the time and thus not worth a 1st- I now think a 4th or 5th round pick on a LB like Andrew Jackson would be a wiser move

Here's something that people aren't taking into account.

The reason that many teams don't use two 3-down linebackers is because they don't have two that they can count on, not because you don't put two linebackers on the field in passing situations.

The 49ers play both Bowman and Willis on virtually every down, even obvious passing situations.

The Panthers play both Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis on virtually every down.

To me this means that you don't devalue any 3-down linebacker in this draft (ie-Mosley) because we already have Kiko.

You simply concede that the linebacker is maybe a tad less of a pass defender than another DB but that he's a much better run defender.

Having two 3-down linebackers is a huge asset, similar to having two starting quality tight ends which enable you to go double tight end.