Possible Results and Options from an Open QB competition in 2014

possibly, or perhaps it's just an attempt to validate one's intuitive conclusion to a results oriented 'game' with a comprehensive matrix of possibilities.

or maybe it's the damn champagne talking. :flirt:

Or something stronger.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to the OP for the lengthy analysis of the options presented. Whether I agree or not I am impressed by the amount of thought and effort that went into it.

In my view it will be a major mistake for the Bills to go into the 2014 assuming that EJ Manuel, or Lewis, or Tuel, can be a consistent and competent starting NFL caliber QB in 2014. EJ's grade to this point is incomplete given his the amount of practice and playing time he missed in pre-season and the regular season. His performance was uneven and in my opinion even declined as the season progressed. The team needs to consider a veteran free agent option. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest they should pursue a guy like Cutler but there will be some options out there that should be considered in the event EJ does not progress. Unless they believe Lewis or Tuel will be adaquate in place of EJ you can't take that risk. The bottom line is that given what we've seen to this point I can't see how anyone can conclude with any certainty that EJ is up to the task of playing the NFL QB position at a high performance level. High enough to get this team into the playoffs and make the one or two big time plays needed to win those close games that will get the team to the 10 or 11 win level.

The Marrone plan was for year one to be the time for on the job training for EJ. The fact that circumstances prevented it from producing the desired result doesn't mean it shifts to year two. With the foundations of a solid defense and the expectation that a few weak spots on both sides of the ball are going to get addressed this team can't afford to 'nurse' a 2nd year QB while all other areas of the team are 'playoff ready'. They owe it to the fans and veteran players not to 'waste' another year on developing a QB that may or may not develop. Spend the money to bring in somebody that has already demonstrated the abiltiy to do the job.

thanks. i agree that there's no certainty that Manuel will reach his projected potential as "playing the NFL QB position at a high performance level", but i think the results are in on Kolb and the assortment of other veteran FAs which will be available in 2014. i don't see any evidence that any of them have performed at a high level. personally, i think the only QB worth the risk of deferring Manuel's chance to develop for, is Cutler. he's a dynamic thrower, for sure - but he's shown a propensity for coming up short, with better teams than ours. but there's no other FA out there that we haven't already had on our roster - both figuratively and literally. i'd have no problem with him as our starter, with Manuel gettings reps as backup. that scenario would probably result in keeping Lewis on the active roster as our emergency starter, unless Tuel or a draftee knocks him out.

anyway, balancing the risk / rewards of any moves we make should be based on winning. i think we've been victims of too many moves made for the benefit of the marketing team. it's time to get the horse before the cart. i'm hoping Whaley and this staff has a wide enough berth to navigate the way they want.

This is a Regents level post. I feel like I got enrolled in a grad course 2 weeks into the semester. Great job but it will take awhile for all this mental food to digest. I think I will have to lie down for awhile.

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to write all of that?

Thanks for taking the time.

CBF

you're welcome.. it took a half hour to write, and twice that to 'proof' read it. i just felt the need to understand why my gut was telling me that throwing guys at the job, for the sake of hoping someone sticks, would have it's consequences.

Lewis can't be the guy. He is not even a capable backup. He drops the ball too much. If he would have been the QB the whole time be easily would have led the NFL in fumbles. He had 7 fumbles in 6 games, he tied for 11th in the NFL in fumbles in that limited play, that was actually the 6th most total (Matt Stafford led with 12 fumbles). If Lewis played the whole time he would have had 20 fumbles.

Bills QBs were 2nd in fumbles, EJ had 6 fumbles, for a total of 13 (Tuel just threw lots of INTs, no fumbles), Redskins had 14 (Griffin - 11, Cousins - 3).

Lewis should not be on the active roster.

By the way, we need a new PR, Leodis had 7 fumbles too.

Edited by Security

LOL, nice one.

Coming from you, the Clown Prince of TSW, I can only say:

268 -> (+2) -> 270 -> (+30) -> 300 +483 -> (-2) -> +481 -> (-30) -> +451 Add 751 Explanation: Adjust by 2, and then by 30.

B. Rename the first addend, and then the second. 268 -> (-7) -> 261 -> (-10) -> 251 +483 -> (+7) -> +490 -> (+10) -> +500 Add 751 Explanation: Adjust by 7, and then by 10.

268 -> (+2) -> 270 -> (+30) -> 300 +483 -> (-2) -> +481 -> (-30) -> +451 Add 751 Explanation: Adjust by 2, and then by 30.

B. Rename the first addend, and then the second. 268 -> (-7) -> 261 -> (-10) -> 251 +483 -> (+7) -> +490 -> (+10) -> +500 Add 751 Explanation: Adjust by 7, and then by 10.

I feel like Russell Crowe in "A Beautiful Mind"...my wife is looking at me funny as I transcribe these numbers onto our kitchen window with a chalk pen. :)

My question is why would they waste significant snaps on Lewis and Tuel?

I think people forget that quarterbacks don't start competing for NFL jobs when they get drafted.

They earn the opportunity to get snaps by being dominant players in college.

Tuel and Lewis didn't earn that opportunity.

They have earned limited......if any......opportunities and they have to be ready to go off in VERY LIMITED opportunities.

That is the nature of being a backup QB.

I would think that given Marrone's recent statements regarding Manuel, and the lack of experience in our back-ups (and I am making an assumption that Kolb will not be here next season), that it would not be unlikely for the Bills to bring in another veteran in the offseason- hopefully someone a little sturdier than Kolb.

So, to the OP: Would you please write another analysis outlining all of the various results from a 4-way QB competition involving Manuel, Lewis, Tuel, and veteran X?

I would expect a QB Coach to circumvent the issues created by overstaffing the position. No Vet needed

Reps is reps. We just learned this lesson with more than one player in this past season did we not ?

Well done OP all around. good stuff folks. I certainly had to think for a change. Lordy knows i needed the exercise

If then equals greater.

coil latched

I would expect a QB Coach to circumvent the issues created by overstaffing the position. No Vet needed

Reps is reps. We just learned this lesson with more than one player in this past season did we not ?

Well done OP all around. good stuff folks. I certainly had to think for a change. Lordy knows i needed the exercise

If then equals greater.

coil latched

you folks bring smiles some once and a whiles Edited by 3rdand12