New years 3rd mock

We can find a good guard in free agency,always a couple out there. Did you hear Marrone presser? He likes the O lineman they picked up late. Thinks there is a couple that could be starting material.

Like I keep saying their is always good proven o-lineman in free agency every year. Spend

There's good proven players at every position every year. Doesn't mean they want to come to buffalo. Or that buffalo will pay them what they want in order to sign with buffalo. You draft them, they're yours for several years. Marrone also thought that Colin Brown was starting material. Legursky and Pears need to be replaced. While I don't think Pears is terrible, adding a GOOD RT to our offense would be of great benefit. We should replace Urbik. He would be a great asset off the bench as depth for all the interior spots. Good luck signing 3 starting o-lineman.

I like the guys you selected in your mock and would be happy if that was our draft.....but I'd be happier if we addressed the OL somewhere in the first 3 rounds. I don't think we should be drafting a RB in the first 3 rounds either. I'd be happy with Hyde or another RB in the later rounds

Edited by NewEra

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy new year everyone. Here we go.

Rd1 C.J. Mosley ILB ALA 6-2 235 KiKo needs help,stopping the run

RD2 Allen Robinson WR PSU Great hands, Leaping ability,very,very productive college career,last with a freshman QB. 6-3 215

RD 3 Carlo Hyde RB Ohio St.6-235 The big back we need,sorry Fredde is getting OLD.

I think we could steal a good guard and other needs in free agency. We have the money.

If you're gonna replace Fred, replace him with a back comparable to Fred. Carlos Hyde isn't that fella. Look for a RB that can block in passing game, catch out the backfield and run between the tackles.

We can find a good guard in free agency,always a couple out there. Did you hear Marrone presser? He likes the O lineman they picked up late. Thinks there is a couple that could be starting material.

The free agent guards are either two expensive for the skill level they provide (Levitre) or, simply, not good enough. That's why they're out there. Marrone said that he thought Unga, Asper, and McClain might be able to be developed into a starter. Problem is there are many "starting" guards in the league with coaches that want to replace them including two that occupy positions on our team. What concerns me about Marrone is that he thought he had starters at LG in Brown and Legursky and he could not have been more wrong about that. Because you have a starter at guard doesn't mean you have a guard that is consistant in his pass blocking, has the skill, quickness, and speed to pull, and can knock his opponent off the line of scrimmage. Those types are hard to find and the reason more and more teams are selecting guards in the first and second round of the draft.

I love your draft.

As I've said many times linebacking is a cerebral position. The best players are instinctive, intelligent players who understand the game. NaVorro Bowman is probably the best inside backer in the game right now and he's 6' and 240. Lavonte David is arguably the best OLB in the game and he's 6'1" 233. Keuchly is only 235 pounds.

All of these guys are excellent run defenders, blowing up plays before they materialize.

People here often fall into the trap of thinking bigger linebackers are better as run defenders but the biggest linebackers are still dwarfs compared to O-linemen.

To win matchups, a LB needs athleticism and instincts. Rey Maualuga, Rolando McClain, Kelvin Sheppard are just recent examples of well-regarded, plus-sized LBs who were bad run defenders who football fans everywhere thought would be good run thumpers.

CJ Mosley is a true linebacker, a guy with great athleticism, toughness and intelligence who understands how to play the position.

Mosley's selection would make the Bills defense scary good.

As you said, Bowman is 6'0" and weighs 240. He is a thick bodied specimen that packs a whollop. Mosely is 6'2" and weighs 232; not nearly as thick and powerful. That's a big difference. You look at Kiko and he, at 6'3" and 237, looks thin. I hope to see him back next year weighing at least 245. David, at 6'1", 233 is an weak side OLB and shouldn't be included in this discussion of inside backers. Keuchley currently weighs 245. Compare his arms to Kiko's. You'll see the difference.

You use the examples of McClain and Sheppard to bolster your argument???? Is McClain even playing any more?? Sheppard may have one foot out the door. This is an example of stacking an argument using examples to fit what you say hoping no one will notice that you're intentionally comparing good to bad. Why didn't you use an example like 6'1", 255 lb Vontaze Burfect, or 6'1" 245 lb Patrick Willis??? Think those two might weaken your argument???

Happy new year everyone. Here we go.

Rd1 C.J. Mosley ILB ALA 6-2 235 KiKo needs help,stopping the run

RD2 Allen Robinson WR PSU Great hands, Leaping ability,very,very productive college career,last with a freshman QB. 6-3 215

RD 3 Carlo Hyde RB Ohio St.6-235 The big back we need,sorry Fredde is getting OLD.

I think we could steal a good guard and other needs in free agency. We have the money.

My first take is that I would draft to build a franchise........not to fill holes. This just looks like an attempt to fill holes. You aren't going to fill them all, the key is to be very good where it matters most. Quarterback trumps all, but to break it down individually:

1) Mosley is a very good player.......problem is that there isn't a 3-down position in this defense open for a LB that isn't a pure pass rusher. If something were to happen to Alonso it would be great to have him, but for 40% of the snaps......you have to trust that your scouts can find someone much later in the draft to fill this role.

2) My take on Robinson is that he looks remarkably like Stevie Johnson. You already have one of those. He's 6'3" but I don't think his catch radius is any greater than Stevie's. The primary need the Bills have in the receiving corps is a big, physical TE type who can split the seam and keep the safeties away from the sidelines. The secondary need is that huge vertical threat on the outside.......Robinson is big but if they are expecting THAT from him, I think people will be disappointed.

3) I think they need to get a RB.....but the 3rd is early, IMO. I am thinking 4th or 5th. This again is a position where your scouting staff needs to be able to find value in the later rounds. They do need to address it though, if only to prevent another foolish overdrafting at the RB position.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

I can't "argue" with any of those, but, dang it we need to improve the o-line too. Something is going to have to happen via FA.

How do you guys like Taylor Lewan OT, from UofMichigan? Think he should be a top 25 pick this draft.

I like the Mosley pick. The run D is not good, Sunday was painful. I don't know how I feel about the next two picks. Bills really need O line help. LG imperative and could use upgrade at RG, RT.

I was looking at free agents, is there any way Jimmy Graham hits the market? Saints are about $8 mil over cap.

Hate your draft.

1. No guards or tackles early; nothing to patch our biggest holes = another year of futility.

2. You want another 235 lb inside LB to stop the run? This needs more thought.

3. Carlos Hyde is reportedly lazy; needed a kick in the hinnie to get him started this year. This guy is no Fred Jackson.

jjmac; did you watch Evans throw a tantrum early last night, then disappear???

you misspeled hinnie.

Maybe a kick to the ganubies would be better served in regard to carlos.

We better solve the o line problems foremost . whether it be LG RG and RT though the draft or FA. but this needs some major progress .

Losing Andy AND Chas Rhiengold was too much to bear.

improve the TE and draft the WR that Nix always wished for. then solve the linebackers.

all preceded by Byrds flux

Edited by 3rdand12

As you said, Bowman is 6'0" and weighs 240. He is a thick bodied specimen that packs a whollop. Mosely is 6'2" and weighs 232; not nearly as thick and powerful. That's a big difference. You look at Kiko and he, at 6'3" and 237, looks thin. I hope to see him back next year weighing at least 245. David, at 6'1", 233 is an weak side OLB and shouldn't be included in this discussion of inside backers. Keuchley currently weighs 245. Compare his arms to Kiko's. You'll see the difference.

You use the examples of McClain and Sheppard to bolster your argument???? Is McClain even playing any more?? Sheppard may have one foot out the door. This is an example of stacking an argument using examples to fit what you say hoping no one will notice that you're intentionally comparing good to bad. Why didn't you use an example like 6'1", 255 lb Vontaze Burfect, or 6'1" 245 lb Patrick Willis??? Think those two might weaken your argument???

We can cherry pick players and listed heights and weights as much as we want.

None of us know how much these guys really weigh or how much guys like Mosley and Alonso will weigh next year. I have different weights for Kuechly and Willis than you do but that's immaterial.

My point is that too many people automatically equate being bigger with being an effective run defender.

However that's only the case when the bigger player is also the better player.

By all accounts (I haven't yet watched condensed game video on him) Mosley is an exceptional prospect.

I would be in favor of getting a bigger linebacker if he was as good as Mosley, but not for the simple sake of that player being bigger.

We can cherry pick players and listed heights and weights as much as we want.

None of us know how much these guys really weigh or how much guys like Mosley and Alonso will weigh next year. I have different weights for Kuechly and Willis than you do but that's immaterial.

My point is that too many people automatically equate being bigger with being an effective run defender.

However that's only the case when the bigger player is also the better player.

By all accounts (I haven't yet watched condensed game video on him) Mosley is an exceptional prospect.

I would be in favor of getting a bigger linebacker if he was as good as Mosley, but not for the simple sake of that player being bigger.

Where have you been San Jose? Out drinking with that Bandit fellow??

Regarding player weights, many sites still carry college or rookie stats even though a player may be a thrid year pro.. You really need to search to find current weights.

Mosely is an exceptional player and maybe he can gain some weight without losing speed and agility. Or maybe he can't and a few extra pounds can help a LB fend off interference and get to that RB or QB. Additionally, a big, hard hitting ILB can intimidate and it's hard to place a value on that. I recall O.J. being scared $higbless when facing Chicago and Butkis.

you misspeled hinnie.

Excuse me.

Mosley is excellent. I'm a little shaky on Robinson. He reminds me of Stevie every time I watch him. Which isn't a bad thing, mind you, but we need variance at the WR position.

I like Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin in R2. I wonder if the bills will attempt to do what the Colts did with Luck and surround EJ with FSU players. There is an OT I believe currently projected to be picked up in the first round from FSU.

I love Carlos Hyde but our running game is one of the best in the NFL. I'd rather focus on improving the O-Line, which has played a significant role in making our running attack inconsistent.

i don't really know the players that would fit this mold, but i would take the most talented big, physical wr with ball skills and the best mismatch type te in the first two rounds. then i would look for ol, lb, db, rb depth with the rest of the draft, with an emphasis on work ethic, physicality and nastiness (also, the ability to contribute on special teams). having said all this, there is a reason i have not been invited to sit in with the staff in the war room.

Edited by swnybillsfan

Where have you been San Jose? Out drinking with that Bandit fellow??

Regarding player weights, many sites still carry college or rookie stats even though a player may be a thrid year pro.. You really need to search to find current weights.

Mosely is an exceptional player and maybe he can gain some weight without losing speed and agility. Or maybe he can't and a few extra pounds can help a LB fend off interference and get to that RB or QB. Additionally, a big, hard hitting ILB can intimidate and it's hard to place a value on that. I recall O.J. being scared $higbless when facing Chicago and Butkis.

Excuse me.

: )

I love your draft.

As I've said many times linebacking is a cerebral position. The best players are instinctive, intelligent players who understand the game. NaVorro Bowman is probably the best inside backer in the game right now and he's 6' and 240. Lavonte David is arguably the best OLB in the game and he's 6'1" 233. Keuchly is only 235 pounds.

All of these guys are excellent run defenders, blowing up plays before they materialize.

People here often fall into the trap of thinking bigger linebackers are better as run defenders but the biggest linebackers are still dwarfs compared to O-linemen.

To win matchups, a LB needs athleticism and instincts. Rey Maualuga, Rolando McClain, Kelvin Sheppard are just recent examples of well-regarded, plus-sized LBs who were bad run defenders who football fans everywhere thought would be good run thumpers.

CJ Mosley is a true linebacker, a guy with great athleticism, toughness and intelligence who understands how to play the position.

Mosley's selection would make the Bills defense scary good.

I am very wary of Tide players given the past experience. You follow college ball much more than I do, but didn't Rolando McLain have an impeccable resume coming out? Wasn't he supposed to be channeling Saban's brain when he was the defensive captain? I think history also proves why you don't take ILBs in the top 10.

Mosley is excellent. I'm a little shaky on Robinson. He reminds me of Stevie every time I watch him. Which isn't a bad thing, mind you, but we need variance at the WR position.

I like Jordan Matthews and Kelvin Benjamin in R2. I wonder if the bills will attempt to do what the Colts did with Luck and surround EJ with FSU players. There is an OT I believe currently projected to be picked up in the first round from FSU.

I love Carlos Hyde but our running game is one of the best in the NFL. I'd rather focus on improving the O-Line, which has played a significant role in making our running attack inconsistent.

Jordan Matthews is gonna be the steal of the draft. Excellent route runner with great hands. He's listed at a 4.6 40. They have Mike Evans listed at 4.59. Huge difference?!

Jordan Matthews is gonna be the steal of the draft. Excellent route runner with great hands. He's listed at a 4.6 40. They have Mike Evans listed at 4.59. Huge difference?!

Agreed.

I haven't been impressed with Mike Evans to be honest throughout his collegiate career, and the game against Duke only buttressed what I've watched. Manziel makes Mike Evans look great.. not the other way around. Those passes he "throws up" in desperation are pretty darn accurate.

Evans runs much of the same routes, and hasn't shown consistent separation. Granted, he's young so he will improve. But his play is a far cry from that of Matthews who is one of those "open even when he's not" type of guys.

Hyde would be a killer pick in the 3rd round, which is why I don't think he'll last till there.

I beg to differ with those who say the running game is set. I definitely don't think you waste a round 1 pick on one, but they can be a significant enough factor in the offense that a good R2-4 pick could be a game changer for that side of the ball.

Appreciate the effort but I hate that draft. I think ILB is pretty deep (Skov, Borland) so I don't think you need to take one that high. Haven't watched a lot of Robinson but I really only want a monster like EVans or Benjamin. And I like Hyde but the last thing we need is a rb. Especially when you can get a starter for another position there.