Thad in Buffalo?

Why don't you think about quoting the part of the conference you're referencing. Nobody here seems to know what you're referring to.

Actually i read THE RB DW DM press conference.

I got the same feeling. Whaley said he would upgrade the position if he thought one was available. And specific to the back up QB position.

I read on OBD and might have interpreted it incorrectly. would be better to listen to Whaley's inflection I suppose .

Methinks Thad did well enough as a back up and will improve with an offseason .

but sorry Thad , not our future QB. I like this guy though

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the same feeling. Whaley said he would upgrade the position if he thought one was available. And specific to the back up QB position.

I read on OBD and might have interpreted it incorrectly. would be better to listen to Whaley's inflection I suppose .

He probably meant, "EJ will be backing up Thad, so we're looking to upgrade the backup as soon as possible."

When I watched it, I got the same vibe as the OP. It felt like they were going to look for a better backup......but the words were that of support for Thad......with the ever present "always look for someone better" comment.

Also, there was a comment that seemed to be somewhat of an after thought about Thad's future improvement/development......which I felt was in stark contrast to the guarantee they gave in regards to EJ improving/developing for next year.

If I were to guess I'd say that they would like a better backup QB than Thad and will be actively looking for one in FA......but again, it is purely based upon the feeling from the answers, not the actual words spoken....so it could be totally incorrect.

When I watched it, I got the same vibe as the OP. It felt like they were going to look for a better backup......but the words were that of support for Thad......with the ever present "always look for someone better" comment.

Also, there was a comment that seemed to be somewhat of an after thought about Thad's future improvement/development......which I felt was in stark contrast to the guarantee they gave in regards to EJ improving/developing for next year.

If I were to guess I'd say that they would like a better backup QB than Thad and will be actively looking for one in FA......but again, it is purely based upon the feeling from the answers, not the actual words spoken....so it could be totally incorrect.

What was it you picked up on as an afterthought specifically. I recall they mentioned throwing all the resources at EJ.

Is it QB coach time.?

Only reason he is shown the door is if Kolb is coming back or they plan to sign a veteran free agent. Lewis has flashes of brilliance but overall is just a back up in the NFL.

He seems to be considered the back up to EJ.

Kolb is gone. No confirmation but it seems obvious to me his Concussion was career ending

Only reason he is shown the door is if Kolb is coming back or they plan to sign a veteran free agent. Lewis has flashes of brilliance but overall is just a back up in the NFL.

I like Thad over Kolb but I dig the long ball and Thad loves to chuck it for better or worse.

What was it you picked up on as an afterthought specifically. I recall they mentioned throwing all the resources at EJ.

It seems my memory was a little fuzzy on it....(meaning my memory was quite skewed, sorry)

Here is the link: http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Bills-Season-Wrap-Up-Press-Conference/fa663c39-62f7-4c23-a3aa-ca1ac618edb3

QB talk started with Whaley at around the 5:30 mark.

Thad comments were at the 6:00 mark.

EJ comments come directly after that.

Upon re-watching......it looks like my memory was formed by the use of the term "serviceable".

Have a look.....see what you think.

They better keep Thad. It would be really stupid not to. Why not have a fair QB competition for the starting job next year? Marrone did say he will evaluate everything, but gives EJ the job when he has earned jack squat.

There is also no way they can go into the season with EJ and Kolb as our number one and two QBs. Neither one can stay healty.

I have said Kolb should retire. I was trying to come up with reasons why Lewis would be gone. Thad reminds me of Darryl Lamonica. He was erratic but was good for the long ball.

The Daryle Lamonica - Thad Lewis comparison is just silly.

Edited by dhg

Thad is durable behind that OL is a big advantage. He is very intelligent ,so he could be a good backup like Fitz.

Compared to Kirk Cousins, (who Shanahan was willing to trade for a 1st rd pick) Thad has better stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13606/thad-lewis

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14880/kirk-cousins

Edited by ALF

Yes the Bills need upgrades at the two most important positions on this board - back up QB and punter.

And possibly QB . The Jets got it right they drafted a QB last year & i read that they will draft another this year dispite Rex feeling that Geno has made improvements in his game.

Unless you have a guy like Luck good teams don't rest on a unproven QB they get another as a back up plan just incase if for nothing else to push the guy at the starting position .

The Bills haven't drafted QB's in a long time why stop at one when he really didn't show super NFL ability . A security blanket can only help & if EJ is THAT GUY great then we have a really good back up or a QB we can trade for another pick in a later draft .

Cause EJ didn't make me sit up at night dreaming of Super Bowls with him at the helm ... But thats just me ...

Edited by T master

They better keep Thad. It would be really stupid not to. Why not have a fair QB competition for the starting job next year? Marrone did say he will evaluate everything, but gives EJ the job when he has earned jack squat.

There is also no way they can go into the season with EJ and Kolb as our number one and two QBs. Neither one can stay healty.

You are on target with this; Marrone should have said that it will be an open competition next year since Thad has played at EJ's level. It may have provided some motivation for EJ.

I would take Thad over "glassman" Kolb. Thad seems unconventional with the way he plays QB, but he tries and is somewhat effective for someone with no TC.

It seems my memory was a little fuzzy on it....(meaning my memory was quite skewed, sorry)

Here is the link: http://www.buffalobi...aa-ca1ac618edb3

QB talk started with Whaley at around the 5:30 mark.

Thad comments were at the 6:00 mark.

EJ comments come directly after that.

Upon re-watching......it looks like my memory was formed by the use of the term "serviceable".

Have a look.....see what you think.

Reading it and watching it give different vibes for sure.

Thanks for linking me.

I would guess there will be some competition for/with Thad .

and thats a good thing . keep bringing in players till you find what you want.

And keep those mats at ST John Fisher dry !

He's under contract so we expect him to be there.

that was said more than once !