Kyle Williams: "There will be changes here"

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 with a brother who just died and a crappy coach to lead you aren't helpers either. He seemed pretty motivated at Bama.

I think generally the potential of a multi-million dollar contract is motivation enough for most of these kids when they have the kind of raw abilities Dareus has...The real test is how they do after they get those millions...

I think there is way, way, way more to the Dareus story dating back to the first day he showed up in Buffalo that many of us here simply are not privy to...He was 318 lbs at his Combine and showed up at his first Training Camp at over 340...He immediately used the story that he needed to beef up to play the nose...Or something like that...Just look at his pictures from Bama to now and it's crystal clear he's much heavier...Though I do think they got him to slim down a little this year...What has always been true is that Dareus is vastly gifted naturally...His raw power and quickness easily mask some of that extra weight...But what is also clear is that at around 320, the guy is nearly unmatched as far as physical capability goes...Casey Hampton went to 5 Pro Bowls at right around 325...Marcell does not need the extra weight to be effective IMHO...He needs to be at around 325 so he can dominate...I think the fact that Marcell plays as well as he does at whatever weight he's at now is actually proof of how dominant he would be if he shed the other 15 lbs or so...But maybe that's just me... B-)

Danny Crossman ? he not going to be fired, bring in some guys who can stay in their lanes

Yeah. Must have been the same issue with players in Detroit. It's definitely not his fault that his ST units have a lousy performance history with two franchises now. That's accountability baby! :rolleyes:

Nick Saban can motivate premier talent. His players go to the NFL and become pro bowlers. Marrone has never won anything as a HC. Anywhere. His players from Syracuse are nowhere to be seen.

Respect goes both ways and "buying into something" goes both ways.

Why should anyone buy into Marrone and even worse, Hackett?

Because it's their job and they're supposed to be professionals. And need I say they get million$ of other reasons, too?

Dareus was benched last Sunday for being late, then shows up late the very next day???? That's a giant WTF.

BUT Dareus "character flaw" is being late, NOT closing bars at 4 AM, being out with a posse where guns are fired, fathering 8 kids, or any of the other things that the real problem players do. He was a few minutes late! If that is the worst problem on the team, then I'm not ready to dump the fat kid.

BTW, if this has been a season long problem, why did Marrone wait until the Bills were out of it to begin the discipline? Wouldn't it have been more effective to have done this right at the beginning of the season if he wanted to set an example?

A second BTW: I think Marrone shoild have sat him out one series a week ago, not a quarter. Then this week he should have done the same and added a fine. Benching Dareus for a half punished the rest of the team and the fans. Really piss poor coaching decision.

Edited by yungmack

Greg Hardy benched 2 snaps for being "late" (and fined). Not an ENTIRE QUARTER/HALF.

http://profootballta...ate-to-meeting/

...We also don’t know the degree of Hardy’s tardiness or whether it was a pattern.

The above quote is from the article you linked to.

And therein lies the rub. Do you know how many times Hardy was late? Do you know how many times Dareus was late?

Do you even know - outside of message boards or sportalk rumors - that tardiness was the reason Dareus was benched? Has anyone, coach, player, or PR flack said as much?

You seem to be drawing comparisions where there aren't any in an effort to uphold your anti-Marrone crusade. To people capable of critical thought, it's getting old.

Edited by Campy

Dareus was benched last Sunday for being late, then shows up late the very next day???? That's a giant WTF.

BUT Dareus "character flaw" is being late, NOT closing bars at 4 AM, being out with a posse where guns are fired, fathering 8 kids, or any of the other things that the real problem players do. He was a few minutes late! If that is the worst problem on the team, then I'm not ready to dump the fat kid.

BTW, if this has been a season long problem, why did Marrone wait until the Bills were out of it to begin the discipline? Wouldn't it have been more effective to have done this right at the beginning of the season if he wanted to set an example?

A second BTW: I think Marrone shoild have sat him out one series a week ago, not a quarter. Then this week he should have done the same and added a fine. Benching Dareus for a half punished the rest of the team and the fans. Really piss poor coaching decision.

BTW, the above statements make a lot of sense. This is a good perspective on the issue.

On the Blount long TD run Dareus was the only guy way downfield chasing after him.

Once Greggo Marrone made the asinine move of benching him for a full quarter, his hands were tied into upping the ante for the next incident. And benching him for a half only makes it worse the next time around. Good leaders make changes at the root cause. Blowhards make examples and bluster and want a culture of fear.

Once Greggo Marrone made the asinine move of benching him for a full quarter, his hands were tied into upping the ante for the next incident. And benching him for a half only makes it worse the next time around. Good leaders make changes at the root cause. Blowhards make examples and bluster and want a culture of fear.

Why was it assinine?

Do you even know with 100% certainty the reason for the benching was tardiness?

How many times did it happen prior?

Were the team rules not communicated to the players from day one?

Or were you not there?

You guys are talking all sorts of crap while knowing absolutely nothing about the details of what really went down. Just. Stop.

Why was it assinine?

Or were you not there?

You guys are talking all sorts of crap while knowing absolutely nothing about the details of what really went down. Just. Stop.

I'll give you that. We don't know. Neither do you. Benching a Pro Bowl DT for an entire Quarter is stiff. There better be a damned good reason. Benching a Pro Bowl DT an entire Half vs the New England Patriots is nuts. There better be a damned better reason.

The key again to me is that Dareus is arguably having his best season with the Bills. He's performing on the field. There are plenty of players that are starting on this team who I suppose arrive on time to meetings but then suck on the field. (TJ Graham, Chandler, Stevie (at times), etc). Sit them a half and spare us fans the ironclad fist approach.

Edited by bobobonators

Why was it assinine?

Or were you not there?

It was asinine because it set up the follow up which was yesterday....upping the ante. How did that blowhard macho stuff help the Bills yesterday?

Greggo's Marrone's strategy showed itself as a failure ONE DAY after it was implemented and he doubled down on it. I wonder how late Dareus would be today if we had another game.

You correctly state that the players are professionals and paid well. Many are also very young and in many cases and still need guidance. Money does not in and of itself teach life lessons. If anything it makes them harder to learn. Coaches are supposed to help teach these life lessons. Greggo Marrone appears to prefer making examples, which can be a good style at times but is already a proven failure with Dareus, and also lines right up to protect undeniable flops such as Crossman and throw players under the bus.

It was asinine because it set up the follow up which was yesterday....upping the ante. How did that blowhard macho stuff help the Bills yesterday?

Greggo's Marrone's strategy showed itself as a failure ONE DAY after it was implemented and he doubled down on it. I wonder how late Dareus would be today if we had another game.

You correctly state that the players are professionals and paid well. Many are also very young and in many cases and still need guidance. Money does not in and of itself teach life lessons. If anything it makes them harder to learn. Coaches are supposed to help teach these life lessons. Greggo Marrone appears to prefer making examples, which can be a good style at times but is already a proven failure with Dareus, and also lines right up to protect undeniable flops such as Crossman and throw players under the bus.

I tend to agree with your take...I think this mentality of Marrone's was the basis for cutting Da'Rick Rogers as well...It seems to me that Marrrone has a vision, but the vision is his way, or the highway...And I really don't think that works all that well for a first year HC coming from College...Of course it works better for Belichick...He's got multiple rings dating back to his Coordinator days...Marrone has diddly-squat...So he's taking a heck of a chance by hard-lining instead of trying to develop ways to get through to these guys on an individual basis...Marrone, at least to me, seems like the kind of guy who will be the first to tell you how hard he works, but for all that hard work he's not going to allow it to come out of his comfort zone...Look at the comments he made after he cut Rogers...They were ridiculous...He kept talking about keeping players who have produced over a long period of time while he was actually only keeping ONE WR that had ANY production in the NFL to speak of...

I'm going to give Marrone the benefit of the doubt for now...But as a Bills fans I think we should all be aware that there is plenty to be concerned with about this guy...It's not enough to simply be the guy who's heart bleeds for Buffalo Bills football...It's a good start don't get me wrong...But Head Coaching in the NFL takes a LOT more than that...And I'm uncertain Marrone has the real people skills it takes to get uncomfortable a little in order to get more from a player down the road...We'll see I guess... B-)

Yeah. Must have been the same issue with players in Detroit. It's definitely not his fault that his ST units have a lousy performance history with two franchises now. That's accountability baby! :rolleyes:

Exactly, the Bills have had better ST's with less talent on the roster. The decline this year has been inexcusable. The coverage teams have been terrible. You can't blame them alone for the loss yesterday but they contributed in a very big way.

If Marrone values his job long-term he will let Crossman go. If results matter he will let Crossman go.

My prediction:

I think we are going to see Byrd, Dareus, and Spiller traded; Chandler not re-signed; changes on the oline; and Stevie and Graham cut. I also would not be surprised if we draft a big feature back to carry the load.

and what we will have left? . . . oh yeah, cap room so we can sign players the next year

We have no idea what behind the scenes actions were taken. Dareus hopefully saw how his actions hurt his teammates yesterday. He does not need to be accountable to the coaches. He first needs to be accountable to himself and then to his team. If he is not motivated by these two things then it is time to trade him and move on.

Personally, I think he will come around and I hope he does.

you know what we should do? Let Byrd walk, and draft a pro-bowl safety. Trade Spiller and draft a electric running back. Trade Kyle Williams and draft a dominate DL or pick one up in FA. Cut Fred Jackson b/c he is too old and draft a hard nosed, bad ass, heart and soul RB. Trade Stevie and pick up a "stud" WR in the draft, we need "Calvin Johnson" type, just get someone exactly like him. Get rid of Chandler, even tho he is the first TE we have had since Pete M. pick one up in FA or the draft. Keep EJ and let Thad walk. Let EJ develop for 3 or 4 more years. with a couple more solid drafts we will be right "there". Trade Marcell for a 6th and 7th rd pick, I saw a kicker for a D3 college that was really good we could probably get in one of those rounds. we do this and watch out NE! the divison will be ours!!!!!!!!