My thoughts about today

boyst

I took notes during the game and didn't want to steal any thunder from Bill biting off of his thread. Figured I'd share them

CJ Spiller called himself out after his 2nd run, the one that gained some yards he pulled himself. He called himself out again at the end of the first qtr, again.

Jackson really is showing age early in these games. He used to come out blowing it up but he starts these games running in sand the first 3 or 4 runs he makes.

Who is that other kicker on our roster?! Carpenter for 2014.

These PI calls are ridiculous. You could see the flag would be thrown on the Edlemen out of bounds PI well before the ball was halfway to him - the NFL just gives the Pats the calls that way.

Stefan Charles replaced Corbin Bryant after the first series and played better then Bryant. Then quickly falls off to nothing to get destroyed. Pathetic.

Thge huge run for TD to put it 13-3 was partly on Alonso for not shedding the block but there is no reason that OL should have been allowed to release right past the DT.

At first I was all for a QB keeper on 4th but second thought is common sense. Wet field, no momentum to move forward - it's a bad call. Use a draw and maybe even a slight delay to let the OL open some creases to dive.

I am sorry if I campaign, but Graham is always open like this. he plays smart football, he gets in to position. EJ Manuel would not have scrambled to see him nor would he have looked outside the hashes. So, all of you guys who want to dig at me and talk so much crap about him, eat it. At least this one time you can see what this guy brings to the table. I would name names but you better see this - you all that jump on me any chance you cant. (btw, what did Goodwin do today?)

On the huge return in the 3rd, all Hogan blowing his lane. Easley saves the day.

I am fine with the Dareus jump. Call me foolish, rose colored glasses or just delusional. We all have doubted how much he cares, how focused he is on the game - in the sense that does he even care. Well, that shows me he does. That shows me that he was trying - and failed - and that still means something to me. If I am Marrone I do not come down on him for that. I tell him good job being aggressive, you almost had it but lets be a little smarter and let it go. He's a grown ass man and he knows how bad he messed up.

Bradham is exposed. I hope we can trade him to the benefit we got with Sheppard. He has been carried by the RB's downfield. Is incredibly strong but can't use form to benefit from all that. He's just awful, major disappointment from someone I once saw potential in.

"I can't be judging Graham on that. It's raining cats and dogs, the ball is slippery, but why were we passing for 2 yds in that situation?" said someone in the shout box and it's the truth, because "TJ Graham didn't cost us this game. If it weren't for TJ we wouldn't even be in the mother!@#$er right now" and thats just how it is - Graham wide open and messes up. that's what is going to be the whole game. NE up by 10 and Graham is the reason we lost. that's how history will write this game.

Too many people are goign to want Graham off this roster and that annoys me. I am called a fan boy of the guy and all sorts of stuff, but I don't really care. It makes me think less of people who don't see the truth:

1- it is not Grahams fault he is the #3 WR on this team.

2- it is not his fault he was selected in the position he was.

3- the guy is open a whole lot and when Lewis plays Graham becomes a factor - EJ doesn't find Graham.

Further, look at Goodwin today. Talib is above average but not on the level of being a top 5 in the AFC. He covered Goodwin today and shut him down by outpowering him at the LOS. This kept Goodwin from getting seperation. Too many time we saw D's play Goodwin by playing him off the line, like Cromartie did, and then get beat. In the last three games we have seen D get up in his face. Goodwin belongs on the field, he really does. But, he should not be on the field regularly and is best in doses to deliver a fatal shot.

We need help at WR, but more so at TE. On the 3rd and short that TJ Graham dropped the issue I am going to focus on is not the drop. It is that it was thrown to Graham. Where was our TE all day? Where was our #1 - I know he was out, but that was a SJ13 special right there and he'd have caught it, without that silly jump, too. That we do not have a 3rd down option to pass the ball to makes me frustrated.

More so, on 3rd down we cannot run it. On 3rd and less then 5 we have no chance of converting a 1st down anymore and that is not on the RB's. It's on the OL.

Fred Jackson - 897 yards rushing - 1281 yards from scrimmage

CJ Spiller - 927 yards rushing - 1109 yards from scrimmage.

I can't wait to see both of these guys next year.

If we draft a nice big WR, Graham goes to #4. He's not "always open". He doesn't have great hands either.

There was no excuse for Dareus jumping off-sides in a 4th and 1 PUNT. It's the dumbest possible error. No discipline. No concentration. It would be the ultimate in homerism to suggest it is some commendable act.

This will probably turn into a Graham thread....

But I have to say that I have come to the conclusion that while Graham has potential and talent, he has all the markings of everything wrong with the current batch of Bills-- i.e., a big time tendency to choke and make critical errors.

Every time the ball is thrown to Graham in a huge situation, he fails. Every time. Seriously. About 5 or 6 critical 3rds downs this year, last year against NE, this year against NE, the fumble against KC.

This is the not the kind of player you want on a winning team.

But I have to say that I have come to the conclusion that while Graham has potential and talent, he has all the markings of everything wrong with the current batch of Bills-- i.e., a big time tendency to choke and make critical errors.

Every time the ball is thrown to Graham in a huge situation, he fails. Every time. Seriously. About 5 or 6 critical 3rds downs this year, last year against NE, this year against NE, the fumble against KC.

Yes I agree....the more you throw to Graham, the more critical mistakes seem to happen...

So, wouldn't you actually say that your issue with the TJ Graham player is that we keep handing him the goose in critical situations? That play calling and lacking the players/talent we need are what matters?

WRT Graham I think there is a position for about every player on this team and Grahams might not be in the starting lineup, but he has a place.

CJ Spiller called himself out after his 2nd run, the one that gained some yards he pulled himself. He called himself out again at the end of the first qtr, again.

These PI calls are ridiculous. You could see the flag would be thrown on the Edlemen out of bounds PI well before the ball was halfway to him - the NFL just gives the Pats the calls that way.

Thge huge run for TD to put it 13-3 was partly on Alonso for not shedding the block but there is no reason that OL should have been allowed to release right past the DT.

At first I was all for a QB keeper on 4th but second thought is common sense. Wet field, no momentum to move forward - it's a bad call. Use a draw and maybe even a slight delay to let the OL open some creases to dive.

I am sorry if I campaign, but Graham is always open like this. he plays smart football, he gets in to position. EJ Manuel would not have scrambled to see him nor would he have looked outside the hashes. So, all of you guys who want to dig at me and talk so much crap about him, eat it. At least this one time you can see what this guy brings to the table. I would name names but you better see this - you all that jump on me any chance you cant. (btw, what did Goodwin do today?)

On the huge return in the 3rd, all Hogan blowing his lane. Easley saves the day.

I am fine with the Dareus jump. Call me foolish, rose colored glasses or just delusional. We all have doubted how much he cares, how focused he is on the game - in the sense that does he even care. Well, that shows me he does. That shows me that he was trying - and failed - and that still means something to me. If I am Marrone I do not come down on him for that. I tell him good job being aggressive, you almost had it but lets be a little smarter and let it go. He's a grown ass man and he knows how bad he messed up.

Bradham is exposed. I hope we can trade him to the benefit we got with Sheppard. He has been carried by the RB's downfield. Is incredibly strong but can't use form to benefit from all that. He's just awful, major disappointment from someone I once saw potential in.

Too many people are goign to want Graham off this roster and that annoys me. I am called a fan boy of the guy and all sorts of stuff, but I don't really care. It makes me think less of people who don't see the truth:

We need help at WR, but more so at TE. On the 3rd and short that TJ Graham dropped the issue I am going to focus on is not the drop. It is that it was thrown to Graham. Where was our TE all day? Where was our #1 - I know he was out, but that was a SJ13 special right there and he'd have caught it, without that silly jump, too. That we do not have a 3rd down option to pass the ball to makes me frustrated.

I agree with the vast majority of what you said here. A few points I would like to make.

Very, very disappointed in Spiller tonight. He had opportunities to break runs for huge (possible TD) runs and chose to run out of bounds instead of trying to make the truly big play. That disappoints me tremendously. To me that is squandering your God given talent because you don't want to risk injury. Not impressed at all by that. Leave it on the field for Christ's sake. He is good, but could be much better yet. Sad..

I hate whining about penalties because it makes me feel like a loser, but c'mon man. Very bad illegal contact penalty on first drive to setup the Pats for their first score.

On the busted run for a touchdown there should have been a holding call on 70 for the Patriots. Kiko was in position to make the tackle. That supposed probowl guard for the Patriots dragged Kiko to the ground with a hand on his jersey. It was holding all the way and resulted in 7 points for the Patriots. B.S. I wanted to throw my friggin beer at the LCD. Damn those refs. And those aren't the only two situations I had issues with. There were many penalties the Patriots got away with that were never called. Terrible, terrible refereeing.

Thad overall played bad in my opinion with the exception of his very good long passes and that one bootleg scramble play where he found TJ. That was a play that championship quarterbacks make. Unfortunately we don't see that out of any Bill's quarterbacks enough. I was stunned when he did that. Don't recall seeing EJ do that. Maybe he has and I don't recall it. But man I wish EJ would make some of those plays. Those are the plays that can be game changers.

Disagree about the tight end in this game. I thought Chandler had a very bad drop early in the game and then redeemed himself by being an excellent receiver thereafter. I have really liked Chandler prior to this season. I don't think he is as bad as people make him out to be though. I think he is a very slightly above average pass receiving tight end. If we can draft better than him then fine, but I think he is good enough.

Very disappointed in play calling again in this game. I don't understand why Thad didn't have designed runs. Should have been running quarterback draws out of the shotgun today I felt, especially on third and short.

Very, very disappointed in Hughes this game. He played better in the second half. In the first half though it seemed like he had mailed the season in. He would take a step forward right into the block of an O-lineman without any attempt to break the block off. He just watched the runners pass him. I was so mad at his lack of effort I wanted to cut him on the spot. And I thought he had a terrific season up till today. He didn't look like he cared at all in my opinion.

I blame the coaching staff a lot for today too. A lot of the players looked like they just didn't care, especially on defense. Lots of missed tackles. Lots of lazy walks back to the line of scrimmage with whatever attitudes after giving up 8 and 10 yard runs. Ridiculous. This team did not show up with a winning attitude. Coaches fault for letting that happen. They just didn't want to win bad enough.

Edited by PolishDave

So, wouldn't you actually say that your issue with the TJ Graham player is that we keep handing him the goose in critical situations? That play calling and lacking the players/talent we need are what matters?

WRT Graham I think there is a position for about every player on this team and Grahams might not be in the starting lineup, but he has a place.

As I said elsewhere - guys who can't be trusted in critical situations don't belong on the roster at all. And yes it's the coaches' and FO's fault, not theirs, but still, let's call it like it is.

That is fair. I have questioned Graham being thrown to in critical situations before. A few games ago, we had maybe 3 huge 3rd downs, and all 3 went to Graham, and all 3 were incomplete. Just puzzling.

Ideally, instead of Graham getting 90% of the snaps, he should be getting 10%.

As I said elsewhere - guys who can't be trusted in critical situations don't belong on the roster at all. And yes it's the coaches' and FO's fault, not theirs, but still, let's call it like it is.

That pass wasn't thrown very we!!, ya know? A wide open WR in stride breaking the coverage Thad threw behind and hard. That pass should have been a simple toss. Again, it was in Grahams hands, he should have caught it, but Thad did him no favors?

Hughes seems pretty worthless in regards to stopping the run.

He was available in a trade for a reason. One trick pony but the sacks sure are sweet.

Pleased w secondary today.

#hasanyoneseenkikolately ?

Kiko was getting mauled by OL much of the day. I will have to rewatch the game to see exactly why but the Pats OL was getting to our 2nd level to easily.

Leonhard really let me down today, also. He has been regressing slowly this season but today was just awful. He was taking bad angles, poor form, and being physically beat. He is a smart player, though and plays that to this advantage.

Edited by jboyst62

I rearranged your post to collect some related ideas.

Thought group one: running

Jackson really is showing age early in these games. He used to come out blowing it up but he starts these games running in sand the first 3 or 4 runs he makes.

So what conclude you from CJ's actions?

It doesn't seem as though CJ does too much his first 3-4 touches, does it? As you know, I'm a fan, not a former baller. Wouldn't you expect age to cause a guy to blow later in the game, not to be slagged early then show the production you highlight overall? I'm wondering he starts out running the plays as designed but the OL doesn't do it for him as designed. Then he reverts to going for whatever he can get. I would need to look at the film with more care than I have time for to be sure, but think about it.

Thought group 2: Short yardage plays

At first I was all for a QB keeper on 4th but second thought is common sense. Wet field, no momentum to move forward - it's a bad call. Use a draw and maybe even a slight delay to let the OL open some creases to dive......

"I can't be judging Graham on that. It's raining cats and dogs, the ball is slippery, but why were we passing for 2 yds in that situation?" said someone in the shout box and it's the truth

More so, on 3rd down we cannot run it. On 3rd and less then 5 we have no chance of converting a 1st down anymore and that is not on the RB's. It's on the OL.

(That shouter, c'est moi. *bow*) I feel the QB sneak and the 3rd down pass are symptoms of your bolded observation. To lack a set of plays that can power-run short yardage down the throat of the opponent, is a serious gap IMO especially with a back that is as good as FredEx at turning nothing into 3 yds. This must be addressed. If it's on the OL, then OL is a top priority. If it's on the blocking of the other backs, address that. Whatever it is, fix it. Even Green Bay can come up with a successful power running package when they need to.

Topic group 3: Wide receiver and TE

I am sorry if I campaign, but Graham is always open like this. he plays smart football, he gets in to position. EJ Manuel would not have scrambled to see him nor would he have looked outside the hashes. So, all of you guys who want to dig at me and talk so much crap about him, eat it. At least this one time you can see what this guy brings to the table. I would name names but you better see this - you all that jump on me any chance you cant.

Further, look at Goodwin today. Talib is above average but not on the level of being a top 5 in the AFC. He covered Goodwin today and shut him down by outpowering him at the LOS. This kept Goodwin from getting seperation. Too many time we saw D's play Goodwin by playing him off the line, like Cromartie did, and then get beat. In the last three games we have seen D get up in his face. Goodwin belongs on the field, he really does. But, he should not be on the field regularly and is best in doses to deliver a fatal shot.

First of all, when you're right you're right. We badly need 1 or more quality TE. Chandler plays small for his size and disappears. Then there are those drops.

Graham has made great strides in his release off the line and his route running this year. I give him credit for that. He is open more than he gets targeted, agree. But man! The jumps - whoever pointed it is right on that he acts like he's trying to catch the ball in his stomach. That's just WRONG, boyst, you know it is. If he wants to be an NFL WR, he needs to get with a coach and work on catching the ball properly in his hands to the point where he has confidence in his ability. He needs to work on his ability to track the ball in the air, too. There's more to being an NFL wideout than getting open. It wouldn't bother me if he could learn to block competently.

As for Goodwin, give him time. See what he does next year. Graham got jammed on the line last year. He learned. It took SJ a few years to develop into the 7-11 he is today, too.

There's only space for 53 players, jboyst. You want to add better TE, maybe a tall power WR, and keep Graham too.? Winning teams in today's NFL have 3-4 "clutch" WR. I do agree, we seem to at times use Graham as the substitute for higher percentage 3rd and <5 options. And that's not fair. But if a player can't handle a critical situation, why is he here? To become winners, isn't that what we need - a team of players who can handle the goose when putting the meal on the table's at stake? He needs to be more than a one-trick pony to have a place on a winning team.

I rearranged your post to collect some related ideas.

Thought group one: running

So what conclude you from CJ's actions?

It doesn't seem as though CJ does too much his first 3-4 touches, does it? As you know, I'm a fan, not a former baller. Wouldn't you expect age to cause a guy to blow later in the game, not to be slagged early then show the production you highlight overall? I'm wondering he starts out running the plays as designed but the OL doesn't do it for him as designed. Then he reverts to going for whatever he can get. I would need to look at the film with more care than I have time for to be sure, but think about it.

Thought group 2: Short yardage plays

(That shouter, c'est moi. *bow*) I feel the QB sneak and the 3rd down pass are symptoms of your bolded observation. To lack a set of plays that can power-run short yardage down the throat of the opponent, is a serious gap IMO especially with a back that is as good as FredEx at turning nothing into 3 yds. This must be addressed. If it's on the OL, then OL is a top priority. If it's on the blocking of the other backs, address that. Whatever it is, fix it. Even Green Bay can come up with a successful power running package when they need to.

Topic group 3: Wide receiver and TE

First of all, when you're right you're right. We badly need 1 or more quality TE. Chandler plays small for his size and disappears. Then there are those drops.

Graham has made great strides in his release off the line and his route running this year. I give him credit for that. He is open more than he gets targeted, agree. But man! The jumps - whoever pointed it is right on that he acts like he's trying to catch the ball in his stomach. That's just WRONG, boyst, you know it is. If he wants to be an NFL WR, he needs to get with a coach and work on catching the ball properly in his hands to the point where he has confidence in his ability. He needs to work on his ability to track the ball in the air, too. There's more to being an NFL wideout than getting open. It wouldn't bother me if he could learn to block competently.

As for Goodwin, give him time. See what he does next year. Graham got jammed on the line last year. He learned. It took SJ a few years to develop into the 7-11 he is today, too.

There's only space for 53 players, jboyst. You want to add better TE, maybe a tall power WR, and keep Graham too.? Winning teams in today's NFL have 3-4 "clutch" WR. I do agree, we seem to at times use Graham as the substitute for higher percentage 3rd and <5 options. And that's not fair. But if a player can't handle a critical situation, why is he here? To become winners, isn't that what we need - a team of players who can handle the goose when putting the meal on the table's at stake? He needs to be more than a one-trick pony to have a place on a winning team.

hitting the hay. Going to add the quick hit.

Gragg, Smith and the 2nd FB we have will give us two open spots. We have Moeki, too. We lose Gragg or Smith and replace that, though I don't want to keep 3 TE's of average talent. So, I would like to have Chandler, Moeki and rookie @TE. Lee Smith, if there is room, I guess because he also long snaps, may hang thru camp a while.

There is no reason for Summers not to be here and I would have liked to see him run it later this year.

The roster should be 3QB's, Tuel on PS. Manuel, Lewis, Dixon.

4.5 RB's. Summers, Jackson, Spiller, and ?

6 Wr's. Sj13, Easley, woods, goodwin, rookie, Graham

3.5 TE's. Moeki, chandler, rookie

That's 17 offensive skill positions.

The .5 is the better TE/RB we sift thru. I would like a player similar to what antowain Smith added to our team, a workhorse hauler and a good dump off guy but breed him with a big physical WR to create this position. It usedacouldabeen Dickens on.

I may be alone, but if Spiller left via a trade, I would not mourn his loss. Maybe with a better OL, he improves, but for all his speed, he is slow to the hole. In the NFL holes close quickly. I'd be perfectly happy with a rookie there. There would still be time for Fred to teach him to pass block, which Spiller still can't do.

Every time he gets the ball this year, he runs E-W and never crosses the LOS.

I may be alone, but if Spiller left via a trade, I would not mourn his loss. Maybe with a better OL, he improves, but for all his speed, he is slow to the hole. In the NFL holes close quickly. I'd be perfectly happy with a rookie there. There would still be time for Fred to teach him to pass block, which Spiller still can't do.

You should watch today's game. He went for a buck and change. Crossed the line of scrimmage a few times.

sorry hopeful, I haven't found the bed yet.

What's the value in trading spiller? Two backs over 800 rushing yards and over 1,000 from scrimmage? Thats a lot of offense and cutting off 1000 yards from the team isn't easy to replace

I took notes during the game and didn't want to steal any thunder from Bill biting off of his thread. Figured I'd share them

Stefan Charles replaced Corbin Bryant after the first series and played better then Bryant. Then quickly falls off to nothing to get destroyed. Pathetic.

"I can't be judging Graham on that. It's raining cats and dogs, the ball is slippery, but why were we passing for 2 yds in that situation?" said someone in the shout box and it's the truth, because "TJ Graham didn't cost us this game. If it weren't for TJ we wouldn't even be in the mother!@#$er right now" and thats just how it is - Graham wide open and messes up. that's what is going to be the whole game. NE up by 10 and Graham is the reason we lost. that's how history will write this game.

1- it is not Grahams fault he is the #3 WR on this team.

2- it is not his fault he was selected in the position he was.

3- the guy is open a whole lot and when Lewis plays Graham becomes a factor - EJ doesn't find Graham.

Jboy, this is nothing personal against you, but tj graham sucks man. Let it go. Its been 2 years and this guy has more drops than TD's.

Tj Graham is not the reason we lost the game but hes not a solution to anything - he's a part of the problem in Buffalo. And that problem is always coming up small on critical plays. If its not stevie its chandler if its not chandler its graham if itsnot graham its someone else. That ball hit him square in the numbers. MAKE THE CATCH.