Scouts take on this years draft class

billieve420

As a Bills fan it is a yearly tradition where we look forward to next year after another disappointing season.

Here is an article where scouts give their take on the different position groups, I would like to trade back again and grab the TE Ebron or LB Mosley. Then address the o-line in the 2nd.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/early-look-at-the-nfl-draft-b99168238z1-236899801.html

looking at Buffalo's starting lineup, can anyone argue that LG Legurski and RT Pears are the lowest graded starters on the team. These two are bad players. TE Chandler is a good player. It should be obvious to every Bills' fan that replacing Legursky and Pears should be Buffalo's first two priorities. TE is not a priority although it would be nice, but not essential, to get another good one.

Therefore, Buffalo should select either Kouandjio or Lewan for RT in the 1st., and either Richardson, Jackson, or Martin for LG in the 2nd. Buffalo can, then, fill other positions of lesser need depending on best player available. That would be smart drafting.

I think the best value (as well as areas of need) where Buffalo will be selecting in the 1st round will be OT and OLB. Kouandjio, Lewan, Mack, and Mosely would all be good options IMO. I also wouldn't be opposed to WR Mike Evans there, as I think that there is a large drop off in talent after him. Trading back for a TE might also be a good idea. I like Chandler, but I wonder if they will re-sign him. Having another good pass catching TE would help EJ along IMO.

I have been saying Lewan would make a very good RT in the pros. Gabe Jackson in the 2nd would solidify the line for years to come. TE is a luxury in the premium rounds. Pass catching TEs will be available later in he draft. LB in the 3rd or 4th rounds would make sense. I think Whaley will be active in the free agent market this off season (mid level types) in filling depth positions.

As a Bills fan it is a yearly tradition where we look forward to next year after another disappointing season.

Here is an article where scouts give their take on the different position groups, I would like to trade back again and grab the TE Ebron or LB Mosley. Then address the o-line in the 2nd.

http://www.jsonline....-236899801.html

We win again and we wont need to trade back.

I think the best value (as well as areas of need) where Buffalo will be selecting in the 1st round will be OT and OLB. Kouandjio, Lewan, Mack, and Mosely would all be good options IMO. I also wouldn't be opposed to WR Mike Evans there, as I think that there is a large drop off in talent after him. Trading back for a TE might also be a good idea. I like Chandler, but I wonder if they will re-sign him. Having another good pass catching TE would help EJ along IMO.

Why would Buffalo not resign Chandler. Letting him go would leave a hole and a priority which Buffalo then would have to fill and I'm not sure there's is a first round quality TE in this draft. (The cited article talks about Ebron as Gates-like. Ebron is 6'4", Gates is 6'6". Ebron and Amaro are not blockers.) Mack worries me. He had a signature game vs. Ohio State but he hasn't looked that good since. Mosely is very good and very instinctive. But I've noticed that Bradham has been very good on special teams for Buffalo and has been getting more snaps with the starting D. I think he is developing.

Bottom line is I would like Buffalo's O-line to be just as dominant as it's D-line. If that happens, all WRs, TEs, RBs and QBs on our roster become better players.

looking at Buffalo's starting lineup, can anyone argue that LG Legurski and RT Pears are the lowest graded starters on the team. These two are bad players. TE Chandler is a good player. It should be obvious to every Bills' fan that replacing Legursky and Pears should be Buffalo's first two priorities. TE is not a priority although it would be nice, but not essential, to get another good one.

Therefore, Buffalo should select either Kouandjio or Lewan for RT in the 1st., and either Richardson, Jackson, or Martin for LG in the 2nd. Buffalo can, then, fill other positions of lesser need depending on best player available. That would be smart drafting.

you can always get a guard latter, I'd rather have an impact player in first and second rounds then get a guard. Pears isn't the greatest but we run the ball great and aren't sacked that much so getting the QB some weapons should be a higher priority.

I have been saying Lewan would make a very good RT in the pros. Gabe Jackson in the 2nd would solidify the line for years to come. TE is a luxury in the premium rounds. Pass catching TEs will be available later in he draft. LB in the 3rd or 4th rounds would make sense. I think Whaley will be active in the free agent market this off season (mid level types) in filling depth positions.

I agree a monster offensive line to match our monster defensive line.

Why would Buffalo not resign Chandler. Letting him go would leave a hole and a priority which Buffalo then would have to fill and I'm not sure there's is a first round quality TE in this draft. (The cited article talks about Ebron as Gates-like. Ebron is 6'4", Gates is 6'6". Ebron and Amaro are not blockers.) Mack worries me. He had a signature game vs. Ohio State but he hasn't looked that good since. Mosely is very good and very instinctive. But I've noticed that Bradham has been very good on special teams for Buffalo and has been getting more snaps with the starting D. I think he is developing.

Bottom line is I would like Buffalo's O-line to be just as dominant as it's D-line. If that happens, all WRs, TEs, RBs and QBs on our roster become better players.

Buffalo will want to re-sign Chandler, and I'm not saying they won't, but his value on the FA market might be more than the Bills are willing to pay. Teams will be drooling to sign the 28 year old, 6'7" pass catching tight end. I guess what I getting at is that the demand for Chandler will be greater than we think (IMHO).

LG is obviously weak, but Pears is still a passable RT when he's healthy. With Pears' $3.5M contract though, he has to be cut this offseason, so it doesn't matter.

Passable meaning pass rushers pass right by him on the way to destroying our QB's? Pears has been terrible this year IMO.

Guard might be easier to upgrade in FA or in later rounds

Drafting a RT in the first doesn't make sense at all to me. Drafting a LG in the first makes about as much sense.

Do you ever read what some evaluators say about Buffalo's O-line performers? Do you ever wonder why Buffalo's runners have tough going against the better D-lines like the Patriots, Jets, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and others? Do you ever visit WGR55.COM and read Joe Buscaglia's weekly analysis of how Buffalo's starters performed the preceding Sunday? My guess is that your answers to the above questions are No, No, and No.

Buscaglia usually concludes with his evaluation of Sunday's game MVP and LVP and Ligurski and Pears have been deemed LVPs by Buscaglia on several occasions. That is why drafting a RT and LG early in the coming draft make a great deal of sense.

Drafting a RT in the first doesn't make sense at all to me. Drafting a LG in the first makes about as much sense.

whoever a team drafts in the first round, especially the top 10, should be a game changer. if there is an offensive lineman there that fits that idea, then i am in no way opposed to it. adding a stud to the o-line is always an idea i like. having said that, i normally advocate for the "skill" positions in the first round.

I'm not sure how this Pears bashing got started but it's being greatly overstated. He's not a premier RT by any stretch, he's had a few plays where he really blew it, but he's usually pretty decent. As the 4th or 5th best blocker on your line he's more than fine & if LG is significantly upgraded that's what he'll be. I'd say he's slightly better than Urbik overall.

Why would Buffalo not resign Chandler. Letting him go would leave a hole and a priority which Buffalo then would have to fill and I'm not sure there's is a first round quality TE in this draft. (

Because it's the Buffalo Bills' way!

I agree that the Oline has some holes. I disagree with the other assertions.

Mack was dominant all year and will make a really good pro and would fit perfectly next to Kiko.

As far as Chandler goes I do not know why people think he is good? He is an average receiver, below average athlete that cannot block. That does not even factor in his big mistakes. It won't be hard to upgrade him.

I want the highest rated player at one of the positions of need. I think that will probably end up being Mack.

I'm not sure how this Pears bashing got started but it's being greatly overstated. He's not a premier RT by any stretch, he's had a few plays where he really blew it, but he's usually pretty decent. As the 4th or 5th best blocker on your line he's more than fine & if LG is significantly upgraded that's what he'll be. I'd say he's slightly better than Urbik overall.

It comes down to grades. Pears has way too many games when his game grades are poor. The games when his grades are avearge for a RT are those where he does not face an above average defense. Simple as that. Additionally; so many writers have talked about replacing Pears that it baffles me when a Bills fan thinks Pears is ok. There are times when Urbik has not played well but other times when he has like last Sunday for example. Urbik's inconsistency makes me wonder if it partly do to Pears' breakdowns.

whoever a team drafts in the first round, especially the top 10, should be a game changer. if there is an offensive lineman there that fits that idea, then i am in no way opposed to it. adding a stud to the o-line is always an idea i like. having said that, i normally advocate for the "skill" positions in the first round.

Why is it that you think of offensive linemen as unskilled? What is the difference between Ligursky and Logan Mankins? Simple; Mankins has a greater skill level.

I'm certain that Marrone will replace both Ligursky and Pears next year but I'm very concerned that he might replace those two with Ligursky's of another name. He, after all, did sign free agent Ligursky to compete at LG and that was a bad signing.

Do you ever read what some evaluators say about Buffalo's O-line performers? Do you ever wonder why Buffalo's runners have tough going against the better D-lines like the Patriots, Jets, Tampa Bay, San Francisco and others? Do you ever visit WGR55.COM and read Joe Buscaglia's weekly analysis of how Buffalo's starters performed the preceding Sunday? My guess is that your answers to the above questions are No, No, and No.

Buscaglia usually concludes with his evaluation of Sunday's game MVP and LVP and Ligurski and Pears have been deemed LVPs by Buscaglia on several occasions. That is why drafting a RT and LG early in the coming draft make a great deal of sense.

I look at teams like the Patriots, Jets, TB, and others and see their OL as little to no better then ours. We need help on the OL no doubt about it, but we have needs that go beyond getting a starting RT. We do not need Langston Walker type FA's to come in at the end of their career and stop gap and we do not need hot rookie talent at pick 14 (or whatever) to use at RT when there are better players on the board. I am a firm believer in BPA, and I weigh that against common sense. I don't draft RT's, punters, RB's, kickers, or NT in the first round.

I do not read 99% of what people write about the Bills. I don't have to. I probably know more then many of those people that write about them. Maybe it is my ignorance.

I am not against adding studs to the team but I think a position like TE, DT, or LB is a much better choice in the first round given the better talent available. We have a starting lineup at OL, we are missing 1 piece - LG. We have made a lot of mistakes at OL. We haven't kept 2nd stringers and whatever term you want to call Hangartner. We need to keep serviceable players and develop a unit that will work for seasons to come.

Would I draft OL in the first round? Yes. But, not to start at RT for me unless he is so godly talented that he is surefire to make Pro Bowl after Pro Bowl and be a HOF player. And then I'd wonder why he is an RT and not a LT.

Pears is an unsung and quiet stone. He may not be a rock to build upon but he is a dependable and consistent player that will benefit from better players around him. Most notably a TE.