Scouts take on this years draft class

billieve420

My observations on this years draft:

• Say what you want about Scott Chandler, but he's the second leading receiver on the team with 50 receptions; behind only Stevie Johnson with 52. The Bills simply don't use the position like the Saints or some other teams that feature the position in the offense. He's about average in the NFL as well from a stats perspective. He's not pulling a big contract and should be easy to re-sign. TE should not be a position of focus for early draft selections. It would be a wasted pick.
  • For those talking about a WR, Stevie Johnson is going nowhere. Goodwin and Woods were just rookies this season and will be the other starters. I don't see the need for this type of reach when there's so many other positions of need.
  • Getting down to positions of need, the offensive line has been OK in pass blocking. Not so much so as far as it pertains to the running game. I would contend that every position except center and LT could use replacement. I'll be the first to admit that Levitre was much more important than I would have thought. For me, I would consider LG early. I would also look at OLB. Bills have given up too many long runs and their YPC allowed isn't all that good.

Trade down. We still need multiple players. Resigning Branch makes DE/DT less of an issue. If they bring back Carrington they are set on the DL. They need multiple offensive lineman. Maybe Hairston is in the mix at RT. I think they draft OT or WR in the first round. Then add guard, TE, LB's in the other rounds.

Of course FA may change everything....

Why would Buffalo not resign Chandler. Letting him go would leave a hole and a priority which Buffalo then would have to fill and I'm not sure there's is a first round quality TE in this draft. (The cited article talks about Ebron as Gates-like. Ebron is 6'4", Gates is 6'6". Ebron and Amaro are not blockers.) Mack worries me. He had a signature game vs. Ohio State but he hasn't looked that good since. Mosely is very good and very instinctive. But I've noticed that Bradham has been very good on special teams for Buffalo and has been getting more snaps with the starting D. I think he is developing.

Bottom line is I would like Buffalo's O-line to be just as dominant as it's D-line. If that happens, all WRs, TEs, RBs and QBs on our roster become better players.

What gates is 6'6"?

• For those talking about a WR, Stevie Johnson is going nowhere. Goodwin and Woods were just rookies this season and will be the other starters. I don't see the need for this type of reach when there's so many other positions of need.

And if we expect Woods to contribute more in 2014 he needs to be more dynamic in his down field ability and create more space. More importantly we need Goodwin to hold up an entire game without needing to get looked at by the trainers.

The Bills have allowed the 7th most Sacks and the 4th most QB hits in the NFL. The Bills are 26th running to the right side. 16th up the center and 5th rushing to the left. Rushing to the left on 1st down, 22nd.

All of these stats come from NFL.COM HERE. Just click on the catagory at the top of the chart to rearange by that catagory. Looking at this more closely indicates that the OL is a mess. And also that runs to the left on on 1st down should be minimized( Are you seeing this, Hackett?) The offensive line needs work. Whether it's coaching, lack of talent or the merry-go-round of QBs(this does effect OL play), I don't know. But the OL definitely needs work.

Edited by Rockinon