Drop Marrone, make Pettine the new HC

billsgpr88

By far the best coach for the Bills this year, and I would say he's probably the hottest coordinator in the league right now. Leading the league in sacks and interceptions, this D has bailed out the underachieving offense the entire season. I would take him as the HC over Marrone any day

Get a Life!

As much as our D has been exciting at times, and absolutely dominant yesterday... overall it's been fairly average this year. It's high risk, high reward, or feast or famine. It's significantly better than last year, but still not good enough. I'm not sure why "average" is praised so much around here. But I guess relative to our last few years of stinker D, it makes sense.

Hopefully this is the first year, and more improvements are to come.

That all said, we have way further to go on the offensive side of things. Seems we got better on defense, but worse on offense, heh.

No. I don't see why everyone has the idea Pettien is disloyal, and wants to jump ship. I get the impression he is more kin to Dick Lebow. I'm not a Moron fan, but I see pettin as our D-coach for a while. With all the options im sure he had, he came to Buffalo. Folk, relax. He WANTED to come here.

Pettine wanted to come here because it was an open DC job where he could advance his career.

Whatever on Marrone, I think he's nothing but a meathead former OL guy that uses buzzwords and nonsense to motivate people and probably has no idea what he's doing, he at least proves that with his game management skills. But, I will not be surprised that if/when Pettine leaves and Marrone remains, the team gets significantly worse.

People have the memory of a goldfish here,

While that is true, the advanced stats on our defense after 14 games (so even before yesteday) were very good. Like Top 5 good. Yes they've given up plays. People need to realize it's basically impossible to be dominant on that side of the ball in 2013. Seattle & Carolina come closer to doing that than the Bills - but that doesn't mean the Bills defense hasn't been very good by today's standards.

I do think our personnel on that side of the ball is better than average though - especially with a healthy Byrd & Gilmore, and with Dareus finally playing like a 1st round pick. So while Pettine has done a nice job, it's still possible the defense is playing about how well they should and Wandsteadt was just a clown of extraordinary proportions.

Edited by BuffOrange

How about when your D gets run over by Tampa?

PTR

Tampa's average starting field position for that game was at midfield due to turnovers and special teams. When your offense can't do anything it makes it a lot harder on the D. Can't blame that one on the defense

Edited by kdiggz

Pettine wanted to come here because it was an open DC job where he could advance his career.

Whatever on Marrone, I think he's nothing but a meathead former OL guy that uses buzzwords and nonsense to motivate people and probably has no idea what he's doing, he at least proves that with his game management skills. But, I will not be surprised that if/when Pettine leaves and Marrone remains, the team gets significantly worse.

Couldn't agree more. Listen to pettine's presser from yesterday. He sounds so much more professional and knowledgeable than Marrone it's not even funny.

Marrone comes across as typical jock-turned-coach who's platitudes are better served for the college or high school game.

How about when your D gets run over by Tampa?

PTR

Are you kidding? They had one blown assignment on the second play of the game. Other than that, tb rushed for 85 yards and had 81 yards passing in total.

This defense has more often than not been very good.

It is scary to think about "IF" the Bills should lose Pettine... The Cowboys might want him, the Lions might want him.

The Bills locked up Branch, and now they should make Pettine assistant HC, so the only way other teams can lure him away is by hiring him to be HC.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Being a good coordinator and a good head coach require totally different skill sets. The road to unemployment is littered with former coordinators who thought they'd be a good head coach.

Also this idea is a Category 5 on the Saffir-Simpson absurdity scale.

We held the dolphins to 0 points and 100 yards of total offense (half of which came on one play from the backup qb). If you don't think that effort got every owner and gm's attention then you are crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if Pettine's name comes up for HC vacancies this offseason and then if our defense is this good again next year then it's a done deal - he will be gone.

I'm sure that pathetic showing v Tampa got some attention too... I know the first time Geno shredded our D got lots of attention. He hasn't proven himself a top d coordinator much less a shoe in head coach just yet.

lol, one year of great defense and you guys have him being made a head coach. He's gonna need to do it at least next year as well. Being a great coordinator doesn't make you a good head coach either.

Edited by jeremy2020

No. I don't see why everyone has the idea Pettien is disloyal, and wants to jump ship. I get the impression he is more kin to Dick Lebow. I'm not a Moron fan, but I see pettin as our D-coach for a while. With all the options im sure he had, he came to Buffalo. Folk, relax. He WANTED to come here.

yeah to become a HC eventually.

He didn't leave the most successful PA high school to intern for the Ravens, DC for the Jets, get out from under Rex to just become DC here.

One way or another he is leaving here soon just not next year.

Damn. I really think you just proved their point.

:lol::worthy:

Are you kidding? They had one blown assignment on the second play of the game. Other than that, tb rushed for 85 yards and had 81 yards passing in total.

And a few posts later someone calls this "a pathetic showing"....

wtf games are people watching? I swear, our fans sometimes, wow.

Edited by BuffOrange

OP is severely underestimating how terrible Dave Wannstedt actually was (worst coordinator in my lifetime), and although Pettine has done a great job with our defense this year, the Bills shouldn't give up on Marrone/Hackett after one season. The second year is where a lot of evaluation will be more concrete and the severe, long-lasting decision can be made then

And they wonder why we want the "reputation feature" turned on....:lol:

Here's why this thread is silly: Marrone hired Pettine. I know Whaley/Brandon already had Pettine #1 on their list of "Things they hoped Marrone would consider, immediately", Marrone still had to sit down with Pettine and close the deal.

Pettine could have gone lots of places, but he didn't.

He could have at least interviewed at other places, but he didn't.

His agent asked him to sleep on going to the Bills, Pettine said "I told him I napped on it", and then called back and took the offer. :lol: Pettine also said he had to change his VM to say "If you are calling me to tell me how good of a guy Doug Marrone is to work with, I got it".

This is the "fixing the FA issue/nobody wants to come to the Bills" in technicolor.

Pettine was a FA. But, he was recruited and secured by Marrone, a rookie head coach on a losing program with no QB. That's one hell of a recruiting job. Ask any recruiter. That's convincing Larry Bird to play for Indiana State.

Marrone gets that credit. That's because: he's the boss, and, it's the boss's job to convince the best employees that they should work for him, and not somebody else.