Mike Pettine Postgame Interview: "Every game has a story to it&#34

26CornerBlitz

The run D was much improved today although that might have to do with Miami not being a very good run team.

Anyways, between the sacks and the takeaways, the defense is greatly improved.

If they could shore up that leaky run D, they'd have a chance to be truly elite.

They'll be improved in run defense next year with greater scheme familiarization and better assignment discipline.

I've been telling people the same thing for the past couple of weeks. Most of the big plays against haven't been because of a lack of talent (which is a great sign).

More so, players have occasionally had lapses in coverage or haven't maintained their gaps on running plays. The perfect example of this would be the opening TD run in the Jags game. The Bills had loaded the box, Kiko took a couple of false steps inside, and then he was just a little too late getting to his gap.

A Mack Attack would be nice. :thumbsup:

I think, though Miami is certainly not the best test, it's games like today's that will have the Bills looking on the Offensive side early in the Draft next year...While the Defense is far from perfect, it's a bit ahead of the Offense and relatively young...The Bills, IMHO, need to round out this roster by adding play-makers on the Offensive side, and better blockers to spring those play-makers...

There is plenty to like about a player like Mack (though I think the Bills have played themselves out of position to Draft him anyway)...But I've been of the mind for a while now that this coming Draft will be Offense heavy...My early expectation is for the Bills to take an OT, TE, and WR with their first three picks...Not necessarily in that order...But we'll see how, if any, Free Agency changes that... B-)

I think, though Miami is certainly not the best test, it's games like today's that will have the Bills looking on the Offensive side early in the Draft next year...While the Defense is far from perfect, it's a bit ahead of the Offense and relatively young...The Bills, IMHO, need to round out this roster by adding play-makers on the Offensive side, and better blockers to spring those play-makers...

There is plenty to like about a player like Mack (though I think the Bills have played themselves out of position to Draft him anyway)...But I've been of the mind for a while now that this coming Draft will be Offense heavy...My early expectation is for the Bills to take an OT, TE, and WR with their first three picks...Not necessarily in that order...But we'll see how, if any, Free Agency changes that... B-)

Totally agree.

In spite of drafting offense in rounds 1,2, and 3 this year, the defense has more talent than the offense.

one thing that Pettine said that I totally disagree with is he thinks the pass rushers are so good that he doesn't need to call blitzes and just rush the front four, Well Dave tried that and it failed miserably, So keep blitzing Mike we need ya!

Yeah but Wanny didn't have Hughes, a motivated Dareus and a much healthier K. Williams. Those pieces make this front four vastly superior to last year's. That being said I love seeing him mix up the looks but he's right - as long as he keeps the offense off balance with a variety of fronts and looks he doesn't have to send the blitz nearly as often.

One very positive thing to remember, which makes me affirm the thought that we will not be drafting defensive players early (unless a difference-maker LB falls our way) is that Alex Carrington should be back next year.

I believe he was ready to have a breakout season for the Bills—he was the best d-linmen in the early pre-season.

Getting him back will be like adding a top draft pick to an already good unit.