Decision to play

vegas55

Not to mitigate the terrible personal tragedy suffered by Stevie Johnson, but what does it say about Bills future plans for Johnson. I mean his mom dies one day before Jags game, he chooses to play, but 8 days later he cannot play. It suggests the Bills could care less whether he plays or not.

Not to mitigate the terrible personal tragedy suffered by Stevie Johnson, but what does it say about Bills future plans for Johnson. I mean his mom dies one day before Jags game, he chooses to play, but 8 days later he cannot play. It suggests the Bills could care less whether he plays or not.

I've never suffered a similar personal loss to SJ but I think I'm wise enough to realize that people react differently to grief. It seems obvious to me that SJ was somewhat in shock last week......and now the horrific reality of what has happened to him has set in. He might also have decided that his performance will be hindered(as it was last week) and has chosen to not play in order to do his best to help the team.

Obviously the Bills have left the decisions up to SJ and it likely has little reflection on how they feel about his future in the club. There are not always conspiracies.....sometimes people simply act like normal people(as I see is the situation here).

.....and btw, it's "couldn't care less", not "could care less".

When 3 out of my 4 grandparents died (yes, separate occasions, not all together) even though work would let me take up to three days off with pay, I never did. Why? Wasn't any reason to, I wasn't involved in any of the funeral decisions, so they didn't need me at home. I only needed time off for calling hours and the day of the burial.

I don't see how that suggests what you claim it does even in the slightest. Not even remotely.

I see a coach and franchise that understands that this is a job and some things are bigger than a job and they will support their players during those moments.

Wasn't it Lawson many posters argued we were supposed to cut to send a message when he took off OTAs to spend time with his newborn?

I don't see how that suggests what you claim it does even in the slightest. Not even remotely.

I see a coach and franchise that understands that this is a job and some things are bigger than a job and they will support their players during those moments.

Wasn't it Lawson many posters argued we were supposed to cut to send a message when he took off OTAs to spend time with his newborn?

Was that us ?

Wow thats embarassing .

Didnt our beloved nose in the dirt guy A. Branch have a similar drubbing ?

foolish people sometimes ?

As far as i care Stevie can have the rest of the season off to get his family back in order .

From what I understand, SJ found out his mom died the day or night before the Jax game. They were already there, he was part of the game plan and had practiced all week. It was still a hard decision as he reportedly talked to Coach Marrone for a couple hours about whether to play the game. He decided to play, felt it was best for the team and as another poster said likely still a bit in shock. After going home and being with family, seeing the reality of his mom dying (at age 48) and it all hitting him, plus not practicing or being in the game plan, plus with the funeral... it says nothing other than that. However, if you want to also look at the football ramifications, last week the Bills were still technically in the playoff hunt at gametime. They were eliminated when the Dolphins won, which was the same time their game ended. That could also be a factor in SJ's mind... he felt he was needed last week, this week is technically not as much. I do believe the team left it up to him and it doesn't say anything about whether he is important to the team's plans going fwd.

I agree with the people who said that the reality of his mom dying probably hit home quickly after he traveled back from Jacksonville. Without practicing at least for the beginning of the week I can't see how he would be expected to play.

I really hope they keep Stevie. He has shown he can be very productive and this year was spent with a rookie QB who missed several games due to injury. He has personality, which this team desperately needs. If it were up to me, he'd stay.

A lot of good points made in this thread.

I will add that SJ13 has played football all of his life, more or less. He has expressed himself on the field and used his performance as a way to vent his emotions and frustrations - basically, it is who he is. In the direct aftermath of his mothers passing he may have felt the best thing he could do is do what he knows best - play football. Get his game on, focus on something other then life; haven't any of us been there? Can't wait to just get to our crap job to get away from something else because at least at work we can get away from the something else?

A week later he is still coming to terms with it. A week not hearing from his mother. We all take losses differently.

I've experienced my share of this schititude and my reaction has been different each time. The light at the end of the tunnel can mitigate that. Anyone critisizing SJ for his response has his head so far up his ass that he can't see the end of the tunnel.

It suggests the Bills could care less whether he plays or not.

I really have no idea how you would reach that conclusion from SJ not playing in a game. That's really a huge leap you are making without having all the information.

I guess you must not have yet lost a parent you were close with. Anyone who has lost a parent they were close with would never post such a thing. It is one of the most terrible things that will happen to you as a person in your entire life and it is a life changing event for the person who lost their parent. No Bills' official or Bills' coach is ever going to try to make a player play a week after losing a parent. If they ever tried they should be fired even if the upcoming game is the friggin Superbowl.

Your assumption that this might reveal something about the Bills' opinion of Johnson is 100% wrong in my opinion.

Was that us ?

Wow thats embarassing .

Didnt our beloved nose in the dirt guy A. Branch have a similar drubbing ?

foolish people sometimes ?

As far as i care Stevie can have the rest of the season off to get his family back in order .

yup. there was no chance they could learn the playbook, and they didnt take their jobs seriously and should be cut to send messages according to many. i know we have a wide variety of opinions but it amazed me at the time that there was a solid block of people that pulled the "they got paid and now they are refusing to practice" angle on that story.