2014 Draft

Trader

We know that all positions are not created equal in terms of value. The availability of top talent at each position also has an unequal distribution. Using the current draft projections from http://www.Draftcountdown.com the following talent could be available in the top three rounds of the draft. Tight Ends = 6, WR 6"3" or taller =5; OT =13, G=6, FS=5, SS=4, CB=15. There are 11 OLB's and 6 ILB's. Of course there are differing drop off's in talent at each position as well but Draftcountdown has projected these numbers as potential picks in the first three rounds. For the Bills these numbers could put a premium on a Safety if we have to replace Byrd. A TE might also be a Premium. If they want a Tall WR they will have to move early as well. It looks like you could get a Decent OT in the third Round especially a RT.

charlie cambell had a mock on walterfootball today that i liked a lot and I'm sure most people will hate but he had us taking

1. taylor lewan-put him over at RT and give us 2 big nasty tackles i like it

2.davin yankey-since we let levitre walk and its the bills so typical lets guys walk only to be stuck in groundhog day trying to replace them thru the draft we need a Guard.

3.cj fiedorowicz- would be nice to get a TE I'm not mad at it wish it was one of the other 3 TEs ebron-asj-amaro but its the third round and we could use another one.

My wish list:

1) Khalil Mack LB. Defense becomes dominant.

2) Jordan Matthews WR. Big receiver who catches everything thrown to him.

3) CJ Fiedorowicz TE. Lee Smith/Scott Chandler replacement.

4) Daniel McCullers DT. Run stuffer in middle.

5) Max Bullough ILB. Hank's grandson, NUFF said!

6) Storm Johnson RB. have FredEx groom his replacement.

7) Andrew Jackson ILB. Could always use a Football player!

My wish list:

I really like this draft :thumbsup:

My wish list:

what about the putrid line play this year?

My wish list:

Not a single o-lineman?

O-line can be fixed in FA. Bills brass is trying to solve problem now with the acquisition of Unga. There are still players on PS that may be able to contribute also. A dominating defense will get this team over the top.

Actually, it's generally easier to enhance defenses thru free agency.

If the Bills change their emphasis away from the running game to the passing game they can get away with lesser talent on the OL.

But if you are going to ask undrafted free agent OL to push around premium DL athletes all day you are going to be underwhelmed with the results. That has been the case this year.

If the Bills change their emphasis away from the running game to the passing game they can get away with lesser talent on the OL.

Why is this, because of the rule changes? Because the offense knows the count and fires out on runs, most offensive linemen prefer running plays. On passing downs they are backing up and getting hit.

And I doubt that the Bills blockers are thrilled by the emphasis on the hurry-up, which imo the Bills run WAY too much of.

But if you are going to ask undrafted free agent OL to push around premium DL athletes all day you are going to be underwhelmed with the results. That has been the case this year.

Most I've agreed with one of your posts since I've been here. We need to place a higher premium on the O-Line this year especially when you look at the defensive fronts of the Jets and to a lesser extent New England who we gotta face twice each year.

Why is this, because of the rule changes? Because the offense knows the count and fires out on runs, most offensive linemen prefer running plays. On passing downs they are backing up and getting hit.

And I doubt that the Bills blockers are thrilled by the emphasis on the hurry-up, which imo the Bills run WAY too much of.

The Bills current OL was built around simply getting a stalemate at the LOS in support of an offense that spread out the defense and threw a lot of short passes. This years power run and vertical passing game puts a lot more emphasis on their one-on-one blocking ability. Main problem is that their passing game isn't scaring anyone and teams are loading up for the run. If they can get significantly better QB play this OL will look a lot better. If not, they need better athletes than Legursky, Urbik and Pears because they aren't going to be pushing around the blue chip DL in this league.

The Bills current OL was built around simply getting a stalemate at the LOS in support of an offense that spread out the defense and threw a lot of short passes. This years power run and vertical passing game puts a lot more emphasis on their one-on-one blocking ability. Main problem is that their passing game isn't scaring anyone and teams are loading up for the run. If they can get significantly better QB play this OL will look a lot better. If not, they need better athletes than Legursky, Urbik and Pears because they aren't going to be pushing around the blue chip DL in this league.

To the bolded, I think it goes well beyond just the passing game.

The play calling has been very predictable: the Bills run on first down more than any team in the league.

They've also run the ball more than any team in the league, a whopping 180 times more often than the Atlanta Falcons.

If you insist on running when the opponent knows you're going to run, then you've really stacked things against offensive success.

Put differently, all things being equal, if a team runs when the opponent is expecting pass and passes when the opponent is expecting run, the chances of offensive success are high.

The offensive game plans have been overly conservative. The intent might be to instill toughness and "protect" the rookie QB but the offensive doctrine has been counter-productive IMO.

It's hard for an offense to be successful (at QB or in the trenches) when the defense is given, I say given, the large benefit of being able to predict on any given play whether that play is a run or a pass.

The way the Seahawks, 49ers, And Jets did? I believe they built their defenses thru the draft.

To the bolded, I think it goes well beyond just the passing game.

The play calling has been very predictable: the Bills run on first down more than any team in the league.

They've also run the ball more than any team in the league, a whopping 180 times more often than the Atlanta Falcons.

If you insist on running when the opponent knows you're going to run, then you've really stacked things against offensive success.

Put differently, all things being equal, if a team runs when the opponent is expecting pass and passes when the opponent is expecting run, the chances of offensive success are high.

The offensive game plans have been overly conservative. The intent might be to instill toughness and "protect" the rookie QB but the offensive doctrine has been counter-productive IMO.

It's hard for an offense to be successful (at QB or in the trenches) when the defense is given, I say given, the large benefit of being able to predict on any given play whether that play is a run or a pass.

No question they have been ultra-conservative in the run game.

But I think the intention has been to create very easy reads and open looks for a young QB.

This seasons offense looks a lot like year one of the Jauron era under Steve Fairchild when they were propping up a young JP Losman.

Minnesota's passing game hasn't scared anyone in years, yet Adrian Peterson leads the league in rushing annually. Alex Smith doesn't put fear in defenses either yet look at Jamaal Charles. I can go on, simply put the Bills need better talent on the line.

i like that they run the ball a lot i don't like that its not very successful. if they wanna lead the league win rushes and base the offense off of running and play action to keep the defenses off balance they are gonna have to invest in the OL weather it is thru the draft or free agency they'll need to get a few guys LG for sure and RT and RG could high on the list too.

if they can get lewan or kuwonjo(idk how to spell it sorry) or some other big nasty RT and can get gave jackson or a good guard in the second id be happy. give ej time and big bulls to open lanes for spiller next year.

this defense has looked good when the offense has moved and given the D time to sit on the sideline(most defenses do).

i could see a heavy offensive draft again and try and shore that up.

The way the Seahawks, 49ers, And Jets did? I believe they built their defenses thru the draft.

Those teams have used a lot of first round picks on OL.

The Bills don't need to build a defense......they could use some complementary players in free agency but their 4 primary pass rushers will all finish with 10 sacks or more this year and they have 3 first round picks starting in the secondary......and another who was a second round pick and a second team all pro last year.......and a pro bowl quality ILB in Alonso.

They have lots of talent on defense. Aside from retaining their own, what they need they should be able to find at a reasonable price in free agency the way they found Lawson and Branch.

Interesting that you should mention the Jets........Ryan did re-build that defense with free agents and trades initially and it carried them to two AFC Championship games.

The Bills have successfully re-tooled defenses overnight using free agency in both 1995 and 2003.