Duck Dynasty!

Tiberius

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/in-embrace-of-duck-dynasty-star-2016-hopefuls-make-bid-for-evangelicals/2013/12/19/f42e464a-68db-11e3-a0b9-249bbb34602c_story.html?hpid=z1

Few could have predicted that the story lines of the hit A&E reality show “Duck Dynasty” and the 2016 presidential contest would converge.

But that unexpected mash-up played out Thursday as conservative politicians rushed to defend Phil Robertson, the shaggy-bearded, homespun star of the breakout series, who was suspended by the cable network after his published comments about gays stirred a storm of controversy.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), another probable 2016 candidate, chimed in on Facebook, writing: “If you believe in free speech or religious liberty, you should be deeply dismayed over the treatment of Phil Robertson.”

He and Alec Baldwin can now hang out together

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the Government didn't shut Robertson down, it was his boss, they guy who runs the show, A&E

No government controversy here, moving on... Its up to A&E if they want to promote that kind of rhetoric, it appears they do not.

But..but...but...its the Liberal cultural elites that's brought us Duck Dynasty, I mean took away DD, I mean Liberals are bad! Just ask Sarah Palin!

But..but...but...its the Liberal cultural elites that's brought us Duck Dynasty, I mean took away DD, I mean Liberals are bad! Just ask Sarah Palin!

Ted Cruz should know better, he is a briliant man... but he to understands that most Americans can be persuaded that this was Big Brother that shut down Robertson, and will not question otherwise. Its all about Politics.

the Government didn't shut Robertson down, it was his boss, they guy who runs the show, A&E

No government controversy here, moving on... Its up to A&E if they want to promote that kind of rhetoric, it appears they do not.

It also makes them idiots for not realizing that a bunch of backwoods hicks on a show about them running "a thriving business while staying true to their family values and lifestyle" probably isn't going to be representative of liberal social mores to begin with. What the hell did A&E think they were getting when they put this show together?

It also makes them idiots for not realizing that a bunch of backwoods hicks on a show about them running "a thriving business while staying true to their family values and lifestyle" probably isn't going to be representative of liberal social mores to begin with. What the hell did A&E think they were getting when they put this show together?

What?

no doubt. I am actually suprised this is the first snag with the show.... it was just a matter of time I suppose.

They were probably thinking "I'm sure no one from GLAAD will pay attention to this show."

I don't think anyone inside A&E thought the show would become a ratings blow out and that anyone outside the core fans of the show would care to listen to what the characters had to say. Who in their right mind would have though the Kardashians would become mega stars when the show got picked up?

Brandon Ambrosinno - TIME

Why is our go-to political strategy for beating our opponents to silence them? Why do we dismiss, rather than engage them? One of the biggest pop-culture icons of today just took center stage to “educate” us about sexuality. I see this as an opportunity to further the discussion, to challenge his limited understanding of human desire, to engage with him and his rather sizable audience — most of whom, by the way, probably share his views — and to rise above the endless sea of tweet-hate to help move our LGBT conversations to where they need to go.

G.K. Chesterton said that bigotry is “an incapacity to conceive seriously the alternative to a proposition.” If he is right — and he usually is — then I wonder if the Duck Dynasty fiasco says more about our bigotry than Phil’s.

Read more: The 'Duck Dynasty' Fiasco Says More About Our Bigotry Than Phil's | TIME.com http://ideas.time.co.../#ixzz2o1ubEo9L

PAGLIA: Uproar 'utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist'...

Gotta love the left. They're all about diversity - until someone expresses a diverse opinion to theirs, or want to live in a community of their choosing, or driving a car that they want, or choose to carry a Downs Syndrome baby to birth, or any other item in the articles of faith in the leftist litany of must dos and must nots.

Hey GLAAD - if you don't like the show, don't watch the show! Isn't that what you told the parents in the country for the past several decades when they complained about violence and sex on the airwaves. Nobody's forcing you to watch it. :nana:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/12/19/paglia-duck-dynasty-uproar-utterly-fascist-utterly-stalinist/?onswipe_redirect=no#!

Robertson has been suspended from Duck Dynasty due to comments he made to GQ that have been deemed “anti-gay.” According to Paglia, the culture has become too politically correct.

“To express yourself in a magazine in an interview — this is the level of punitive PC, utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist, OK, that my liberal colleagues in the Democratic Party and on college campuses have supported and promoted over the last several decades,” Paglia said. “This is the whole legacyicon1.png of free speech 1960’s that have been lost by my own party.”

Paglia went on to point out that while she is an atheist she respects religion and has been frustrated by the intolerance of gay activists.

“I think that this intolerance by gay activists toward the full spectrum of human beliefs is a sign of immaturity, juvenility,” Paglia said. “This is not the mark of a true intellectual life. This is why there is no cultural life now in the U.S. Why nothing is of interest coming from the major media in terms of cultural criticism. Why the graduates of the Ivy Leagueicon1.png with their A, A, A+ grades are complete cultural illiterates, etc. is because they are not being educated in any way to give respect to opposing view points.”

“There is a dialogue going on human civilization, for heaven sakes. It’s not just this monologue coming from fanatics who have displaced the religious beliefs of their parentslb_icon1.png into a political movement,” she added. “And that is what happened to feminism, and that is what happened to gay activism, a fanaticism.”

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Brandon Ambrosinno - TIME

Why is our go-to political strategy for beating our opponents to silence them? Why do we dismiss, rather than engage them? One of the biggest pop-culture icons of today just took center stage to “educate” us about sexuality. I see this as an opportunity to further the discussion, to challenge his limited understanding of human desire, to engage with him and his rather sizable audience — most of whom, by the way, probably share his views — and to rise above the endless sea of tweet-hate to help move our LGBT conversations to where they need to go.

G.K. Chesterton said that bigotry is “an incapacity to conceive seriously the alternative to a proposition.” If he is right — and he usually is — then I wonder if the Duck Dynasty fiasco says more about our bigotry than Phil’s.

Read more: The 'Duck Dynasty' Fiasco Says More About Our Bigotry Than Phil's | TIME.com http://ideas.time.co.../#ixzz2o1ubEo9L

PAGLIA: Uproar 'utterly fascist, utterly Stalinist'...

This is simply about money. A capitalist business is worried about losing money over a bigoted comment. That dude should have kept his mouth shut if he wanted to stay on as a tv start. He can say whatever he wants, doesn't mean people still have to give him a platform to spew hate

This is simply about money. A capitalist business is worried about losing money over a bigoted comment. That dude should have kept his mouth shut if he wanted to stay on as a tv start. He can say whatever he wants, doesn't mean people still have to give him a platform to spew hate

Given the show's audience, my guess is that A&E loses a good deal of money over this, and opens themselves up to a lawsuit as well. Liberals have long since closed the door on a business' right to Freedom of Association; you can't have it both ways.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

He can say whatever he wants, doesn't mean people still have to give him a platform to spew hate

"My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

that's 'spewing hate'?

I'm beginning to think that Tom may be right about you.

"My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”

that's 'spewing hate'?

Phil was actually referencing First Corinthians, which comes across as 'hate' to liberals because Corinthian, to them, is a type of leather.

This isn't the brightest thing to say:

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person," Robertson is quoted in GQ. "Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

Blacks were happy before the Civil Rights movement!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/19/phil-robertson-black-people_n_4473474.html

Given the show's audience, my guess is that A&E loses a good deal of money over this, and opens themselves up to a lawsuit as well. Liberals have long since closed the door on a business' right to Freedom of Association; you can't have it both ways.

I bet they do lose business. The show won't suffer but I'm sure A&E is worried about the other shows they have. You know how corporations want to protect the brand. That's what this is. This show could go to another venue and be just fine.

Phil was actually referencing First Corinthians, which comes across as 'hate' to liberals because Corinthian, to them, is a type of leather.

He said a lot of things about gays that wasn't just from that old book.